Dresden Files

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Just finished all the current books two nights ago. Ghost Story was not good, but the rest were top notch. Cold Days really brought down the house, though. Looking forward to more awesome books....just less ghost Harry.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Yeah Ghost Story is hard to enjoy as a whole. It has some amazing scenes (the flashback to Harry's training which imo we need more of, anything involving Lea, the mental battle in Molly's mind at the end), but they were interspersed with a lot of boring. I've skipped through most of it in my rereads, which I don't do with any other book in the series (even the first 3, which imo are well below the rest of the series in quality, I went back through when I reread the series the first time).

Wish it was coming out earlier than May, but honestly should just be grateful that Butcher is as prolific as he is. Even with all the flaws the series has it is, on the whole, crazy addictive. Really keen for more Denarian action.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Best part of Ghost Story was confirming Michael as a bad ass when Harry is shown the Carpenter house by Uriel and when Harry comments about the guardian angels Uriel says something to the effect of 'he deserves nothing less.'

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I didn't hate Ghost Story, but it definitely had a darker tone. The book was just there to show that even though that life will go on for all of Harry's friends, they still need him.

Also Skin Games needs to come sooner damn it. His new series is probably slowing down the Dresden stuff.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I just finished Grave Peril and about to start Summer Knights(book 4) good times, but really annoyed people continue to doubt and not trust him(despite seeing what he can do and the super natural beings they encounter), especially Murphy. Really hope she comes around and stops being skeptical of him.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You're not the only one who hated that Hatorade. It was stupidly thick at times, but once you get passed it (and you will) it's much much better. 'Course Morgan's always around to pick up the slack... I don't recall there being much more about Michael and dragons, other than you do get to find out how he met Charity iirc.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I just finished Grave Peril and about to start Summer Knights(book 4) good times, but really annoyed people continue to doubt and not trust him(despite seeing what he can do and the super natural beings they encounter), especially Murphy. Really hope she comes around and stops being skeptical of him.
Summer Knight is much better in that regard, the whole '"everyone distrusts harry even though he's proven himself to them a million times and the issue could be solved through a quick conversation/demonstration" issue is much less of a problem after the first 3 books. Generally speaking, the series really only hits its pace during Summer Knight and generally goes on strong after that (except for Ghost Story, which most people seem to feel is a bit meh), so if you enjoyed the first 3, you'll love the rest.

also:

skingame_lg.jpg

Rime

<Donor>
Ialmostwish that I had put this series off until it was 'completed', but I broke my usual rule and started it just after Christmas. Read the entire series and the short stories in the span of three weeks. Loved every minute of it, even Ghost Story, but it was the weakest link in an otherwise amazing chain.

Does anyone have any recommendations on other series that are 'like' Dresden? Modern setting, with a mixture of magic in it? Something without the scads of romance that has infected the genre.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Does anyone have any recommendations on other series that are 'like' Dresden? Modern setting, with a mixture of magic in it? Something without the scads of romance that has infected the genre.
Some similar stuff to try from memory :
Child of Fire - Harry Connolly
Fated - Benedict Jacka
The Devil You Know - Mike Carey
Already Dead - Charlie Huston
Bitter Night - Diana Pharaoh Francis
Unclean Spirits - M L N Hanover
Mob Rules - Cameron Haley
Sandman Slim - Richard Kadrey
John Dies at the End - David Wong
Nightlife - Rob Thurman
The Atrocity Archives - Charles Stross
Sunshine - Robin McKinley

A Madness of Angels - Kate Griffin ( this one is a bit weird, but undeniably original )
Magic Bites - Illona Andrews ( this series is not quite current times and has some romance as it goes along, but it's good enough I'd recommend it regardless )

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
iron druid is ok
the mercedes thompson series is good too, a bit heavier on the romance part but it is still "romance light" compared to other series.
magic bites series by illona andrews as was mentioned above.
A bit lighter fare and slightly more romance is the incrypid series by seanan mcquire -discount armageddon is the first in the series- only 3 books so far (3rd book out next tuesday), however the mice are hilarious- what do you get when you have talking mice who based their religion on your family..
"Today's Celebration is held every eight years to mark the union of The Noisy Priestess To The God Of Things That It Is Almost Certainly Better Not To Be Aware Of"... Oh crap, you're celebrating Grandma and Grandpa getting together, aren't you?"
HAIL!

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've only read the first of the series but The Iron Druid is similar to the Dresden Series.

Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne
Can't believe this wasn't the first suggestion.

It's good shit, maybe not as well written as Dresden Files but I actually like the pantheons in Iron Druid a little more. Something about him going toe to toe with traditional Norse/Greek/Roman/Irish Gods appeals to me. He works on a more global scale than Harry usually does after a couple books.

Plus the usual vampires/werewolves/witches.

Tonic_sl

shitlord
Ialmostwish that I had put this series off until it was 'completed', but I broke my usual rule and started it just after Christmas. Read the entire series and the short stories in the span of three weeks. Loved every minute of it, even Ghost Story, but it was the weakest link in an otherwise amazing chain.

Mother fuckin' King Henry Tapes by one of our very own RR nerds.

There's also a detective series by the guy who did The Black Company, but I can't for the life of me remember the name. I read 5-6 of the series and stopped as they all started to be similar.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The Garrett Files by Glen Cook (in reference to the series Tonic was trying to think of above). The first several are great, then it starts to get to the repetitive stage like you said. I would say they were all still worth reading compared to a lot of books, but then again I read them every few years as they were released instead of in one big sitting. They'd probably be WAY too similar done that way. So once you get several of them down and start to get bored, maybe just interject one every couple dozen books or so, because they can still be entertaining.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
On through Dead Beat at this point(well he just found out who Shelia is but almost done) awesome series and Dresden while winning various battles he keeps getting pulled in deeper and deeper up against stronger and stronger foes, in short shit is getting heavy and finding it harder and harder to put these dang books down.