Dresden Files

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
he's said he wants to put out 20 in total, wrapping it up with a trilogy, so I doubt it.

Malkav

French Madman
By far my favorite series that I have read as of late. Cold Days was epic to no end, I've been waiting for Lasciel to come back and make an appearance again and I really thought he was going to call the coin... perhaps next book! Does anyone know if this next book after Cold Days will be the last?
Nah, Butcher said he is aiming at like 20 tomes + a trilogy ending. We can look forward to some Dresden Files for years to come.

Oh, and next book should be about the Coins again.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I just finished all of his books and I must say that Cold Days was definitely the best out of the Dresden series. Great book.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I just finished all of his books and I must say that Cold Days was definitely the best out of the Dresden series. Great book.
I put it at second best, but only by a hair (I thoughtChangeswas the best). Either way, it's amazing that he can keep a story/character so entertaining after 14 books. Butcher stepped up quite a bit after the mediocre showing withGhost Story

Fiddler

Lord Nagafen Raider
I would have to say that Changes is by far the best, followed by a close tie between Cold Days and Dead Beat, Ghost Story was by far the odd man out of the series.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Dude had a hard time with Ghost Story. He knew where he wanted to go, but had a really problematic time getting there. It was delayed and late, and he got in a couple flame wars with people on his message board over some of it. That does not excuse it of course but might help explain it some. Hard to hit a home run every swing.

vamenn_sl

shitlord
I only started reading Dresden around the time Changes came out. I am so used to finishing one and being able to go right to another one. I caught up around the time Ghost Story came out. And I finished the newest the week it came out.
...I am not a fan of this whole being caught up business. Though it does make it nice that I can finally read threads about the books without fear of spoilers.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Which ever direction JB goes next I think Fix will probably be going ape shit very soon. To the point of being replaced as summer knight wouldn't surprise me. I just hope he doesn't blame Harry for everything in the courts being tossed up again.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just finished book 3, couldn't put it down last night and pretty much marathoned it as I was only a few pages in. These books are so fun, and so easy to read. Afterwards, i kinda read some spoilers about a certain plot point. Don't check the spoiler unless you're up to date on the books.

I like Susan, I was thinking she's a good fit for Dresden, but then I read she's not in many more books and that she ends up dying eventually. Is that the end for her, or will she be coming back from death in some form or another? Apparently Lea is involved with her burial or something, which sounds suspicious to me?

velk

Trakanon Raider
I like Susan, I was thinking she's a good fit for Dresden, but then I read she's not in many more books and that she ends up dying eventually. Is that the end for her, or will she be coming back from death in some form or another? Apparently Lea is involved with her burial or something, which sounds suspicious to me?
Nothing is impossible, but I think Susan coming back would be incredibly unlikely, for reasons which will be obvious when you read that book.

Azrayne

Yeah, unless she
does the ghost thing like Harry did in Changes,
I don't see it happening. And even then,
she died properly, not with Mab on hand to freeze him on the brink, and no Demonreach/Parasite to keep his body alive, so she'd be stuck as an apparition. Although given the nature of her death, so violent and intensely emotional, she seems a good candidate for ghosthood, but I don't see it working narratively.

Fuck it, I'm still holding out for Harry and Elaine to get back together. Harry/Murphy are too incompatible, so she's gonna pick up the sword and go out in a blaze of glory after they hook up. Seriously, I'd put down $50 on her dying within one book of the first time they have sex.

Honestly, if you already like the series that much, you'll love the rest. The series only really came into it's own with #4 imo, that's where he broadened the focus a bit and seemed to settle into the world/character and his own style, and all of the following books (aside from #13, for obvious reasons) are pretty consistent in their quality. I'm kinda jealous of you, I had a blast reading them for the first time back to back, and now I'm stuck waiting.

Azrayne

Yeah I've already done one re-read 6 months or so after I first found the series (although I skipped Ghost Story, because other than the scenes with Lea/Molly and the flashbacks, it's pretty zzzz).

Neph_sl

shitlord
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/i...tml#msg1543750

Once the revision of COLD DAYS is done, I will be writing thefirst book of my Steampunk series, which is called The Cinder Spires at the moment. The first book, (working title of 'The Aeronaut's Windlass') should be around the length of the first Alera book, and I'm planning to get it done by year's end, AT WHICH POINT I will then begin the next Dresden novel.
Emphasis mine. Must be fun to be Jim Butcher; wizard detectives, pokemon romans, and now a steampunk series.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Mixed feelings. The Codex Alera books were ok, but not nearly as good (imo) as the Dresden Files. If they can't at least be Dresden quality, I'd rather he just write Dresden.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
In Regards to Susan.......
first- it is TRUE LOVE- making him untouchable to the White Court...quite the funny scene when lara(thomas's sister) finds out.
Second- she gets bit by the red court and almost but does not finish the deed so she is a "half breed"
third- harry proposes and she says no then leaves.
fourth, she comes back for a book, they have sex(after harry figures out how to not get bit), she leaves
fifth- she comes back again ~6?8? years later (the Book Changes)

moontayle

Golden Squire
Just finished Cold Days. I think Changes was better just because of how much flux it put into everything. The title of the book is apt. This is a very close second though, and it's going to be interesting to see how the dynamic of things shakes out.

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
I just started this series (im at book 4) and so far I think its great. Bob the skull is easily onr of my favorite characters, that and the fact he has helped Harry make some life saving potions.

Azrayne

Which brings up an interesting point I was wondering about the other day: why doesn't Harry use his potions more? He could be so much more versatile and effective if he carried a few potions around constantly, but despite the fact that they don't seem to require more than time and the ingredients, he only makes them as a last ditch backup when the necessity presents itself. You'd think a character who's all about their magical equipment would have room for a flask or two with different potions in them.