DSLR Camera

Illuziun

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The new mirrorless cameras can produce on par if not better than just about any non full frame camera. IMO if you're going to go DSLR, go big or go home. Otherwise spend $500 and get a NEX-5R with a fast lens and a wide lens and call it a day (or a cheaper route with the $650 kit, but you're not getting a sexy fast lens). That camera will out perform most low-mid range DSLR's in IQ, FPS, focusing, and it's easy to carry. You can also control all your major settings in manual mode just like with a DSLR, or go completely auto.

Sony NEX-5R 16.1 MP Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lenses

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Mirrorless camera requires the same amount of post photo editing to get the most out of it? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I just want to be sure. That sony is one sexy looking camera.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Yes.

But it's not like you have to post process every image. The images will come out really good on their own, but you'll have more information (color depth) to tweak the images so that they come out how you want.

As an example, here's the World Press photo of the year with and without post-processing:http://www.flickr.com/photos/gunthert/8485283411/
All he did was adjust the colors, but it completely changes the tone of the image.

Also, with higher megapixels, you don't have to frame your shot perfectly every time. Good framing helps, but can always crop the image to your liking without a loss in quality in post.

seal-add.jpg

vs

seal-crop-job-1.jpg

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Neph and co. Can they also do short video? I wil check myself but if you have experience with them I would be interested in hearing about it. Part of the reason we are upgrading to the t4i is for the long term ability to improve our photo taking skills and eventually take family photos as good as the hundreds of dollars we would spend on a professional photographer. And having the raw data means as our skill improves we can go back to old photos and improve them more then before.

I expect this to be a years long hobby for us and eventually transfer to the kids. The canon is the kind of camera you can pass down generations I think.

Neph_sl

shitlord
All of the NEX cameras can take video. But I don't personally have experience with the Sony NEX series.

When I got my T2i two years years ago, the first NEX camera came out. I thought hard about getting a NEX, but it boiled down to Canon lenses. If you want to get into photography, a significant portion of the investment is in the lenses. You can get different camera bodies that have better features/capabilities: burst speed, ISO, video, wifi/gps, etc etc. But at the end of the day, the glass you put in front of that sensor makes more of a difference in the image you can capture than the sensor itself. Canon has a really big line up ranging from~$100to$11,500that can be used on any Canon DSLR. On the other hand, the NEX only has a handful of lenses.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This is true, but I think it's safe to say that the mirrorless lenses are going to get more numerous and DSLRs are eventually going the way of the dinosaur. Not right away, but smaller cameras are just highly preferable for many reasons and there is not any real advantage to the mirror in this day and age.

DSLRS ARE A DYING BREED ? 3RD GEN CAMERAS ARE THE FUTURE

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
I said this back in the FoH thread, but I'll say it here too: I have both a full DSLR setup and a m4/3 mirrorless setup. Comparable lenses in each (3-5). The only time the DSLR gets used any more is for sports, everything else is my GX1. They are ridiculously convenient for travel, and take fantastic pictures. I don't think you can go wrong with the NEX series or m4/3, they both have their pros & cons.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I am personally waiting on the variety of mirrorless options to become more numerous before I jump on board. If you want something with at least a ASP-C sized sensor your selection is extremely limited (and I am personally waiting for some full-framed options). Also last time I checked, the amount of lenses available for the mirrorless options was very limited.

Then again, I already have a DSLR so I can still do the photography I want to do while I wait for the big boys (Cannon, Nikon) to finish pushing their DSLR bodies and start releasing their mirrorless options. If I were looking to buy a camera today I would have a hard time deciding which direction to go.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Well, both Nikon and Canon have mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras out (1andEOS-M, respectively). The EOS-M, as far as I've heard, suffers from slow focusing. I'm not sure what's going on with the Nikon 1, but I haven't heard any glowing reviews.

If the the EOS-M had decent focusing, I'd probably snatch one up.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
There are some drawbacks to the currently available mirrorless cameras still. The guy who wrote the article BrutulTM posted above very objectively covers all of them. Some people will say don't buy a DSLR today because in 5 years it will be antiquated technology. Frankly, if you bought a DSLR 5 years ago and you are at all semi-serious about photography you would probably think your old DLSR is antiquated technology compared to the new DLSR's available. The camera technology is changing fast and if you are continually waiting for what is coming down the pipe you will never end up buying a camera.

Overall, if I had to recommend a camera for someone to buy today, and they were struggling to choose between DSLR or mirrorless, I think agree with the above authors advice given in hisSony NEX-7 review.

If you?re just getting into photography and scared of big DSLRs, this Sony NEX-7 is definitely the way to go.

If you are a veteran DSLR shooter that is needs action-photography performance, low-light sharpness with excellent ISO performance, or the flexibility of a robust lens system, then the Sony NEX-7 may not be for you.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Are the Canon STM lenses them only ones with nearly silent shutters/focusing?

Illuziun

Are the Canon STM lenses them only ones with nearly silent shutters/focusing?
Shutter sound has to do with the camera body, not the lens.

Any lens with USM is silent, so most lenses in the mid range, and I think every L lens has USM.

Illuziun

So what is the point of stm lenses then?
Those lenses are meant to reduce a vibration in the lenses that can get picked up on audio. USM is silent, but it creates a tiny vibration. In the end, you'll probably never notice a difference tbh. The only thing I've ever picked up on audio through video is IS making a clicking noise, but that is easily turned off. Cheapo lenses on the other hand sound like chainsaws.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
From what I understand STM lenses are better for video because they focus more smoothly & are more suited to the contrast detect auto-focus.

Check the video at 0:45

Are any of the film to digital conversions for DSLRs worth it?, I have $4K in old bullet proof Nikon gear that I will never get rid of and don't want to replace with the plastic stuff out now.

Neph_sl

shitlord
So I don't really know much about DSLR video and it's capabilities and what not. I knew that it was used to make an episode of House, but Gizmodo had this vid on their site yesterday, and this guy (DevinSuperTramp) does some really cool things that he puts up on YouTube. The majority of his stuff seems to just be DSLR + steadicam mount + boom mic on top (second video shows a behind the scenes), which makes it totally accessible. Of course you have to attach your DSLR to an octocopter to get the aerials, but still, the core of it is just up to your own creativity.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Honestly, photography is just like any other art form. You can get a true artist with a $120 point and click take pictures that are 1000X better than your average Joe Schmoe with the latest gadgets, $2000 DSLR setups and such. Granted a true artist would have all the tools as well, but just sayin. If you take shitty pictures and have no concept of light, shadows, composition, depth of field...etc a $2000 camera is not going to help you, sorry.