DSLR Camera

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Picked up a Canon Rebel T5 bundle for $300, lol. I took my kid to Kmart because he wanted a webcam for his youtube shit. So while there I was looking around and low and behold a T5 brand new in box for $315. The box did seem open before, but I checked it out and it was brand new for sure. Clearance item I guess when I asked the electronics lady. They also had the T3 for $275, lol.

Now I finally have a DSLR.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Didnt know this, but I guess there are mounts to use my old carl zeiss jena lenses from my old Pentacon six medium format camera. Obviously the auto focus wont work, but in aperture priority the lenses work great if you manually focus them. You can even use the camera focus assist in manual mode.

I got some awesome glass that I collected back when I was a teenager. Like the Biometar 2.8 120mm, Biometar 2.8 80, Flektogon 4 50mm, and even a huge fucking Zodiak 3.5 30mm Fish Eye with 180deg view. Now I have some awesome vintage zeiss prime glass to fuck around with. The mount cost me $25.

I guess from reading a bit about focal length and cropped sensor cameras, these focal lengths are about (1/2 focal length+10%) So the 120mm would be approximately 66mm, the 80mm would be 44mm, the 50mm would be 22.5mm and the 30mm fisheye would be 18.5mm. Nice prime, pretty fast lenses.

rrr_img_91185.jpg

rrr_img_91186.jpg

rrr_img_91187.jpg

rrr_img_91188.jpg

This guy here talks about them in his blog. Hes talking about video, but I cant wait to try these on my new dslr.
Vintage Zeiss Glass on Modern Cameras | Frank Glencairn

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I was about to tell you nice find on the body now get some good glass but seems like you have a nice rounded collection. Which lense did your kit come with? Seems like you'd still want a nice walking around lense that can utilize the autofocus. I use the 28-135 on my 50D and it has been a nice lense for everyday use.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I guess from reading a bit about focal length and cropped sensor cameras, these focal lengths are about (1/2 focal length+10%) So the 120mm would be approximately 66mm, the 80mm would be 44mm, the 50mm would be 22.5mm and the 30mm fisheye would be 18.5mm. Nice prime, pretty fast lenses.
Focal length 35MM equivalent depends on the sensor size.

This chart shows the various crop factors relative to sensor size:

rrr_img_91197.gif

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
It came with the standard 18-55mm IS lens. Its not bad, but it has trouble focusing when it gets darker/inside. But it could also be me and not knowing the camera and the focus modes yet. I was thinking about just getting the 50mm 1.8. Its cheap and it gets good reviews.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I have used both the Canon 50mm 1.8 as well as the Sigma 50mm 1.4. Given the choice I'd take the Sigma but both take nice sharp shots. Can't beat the Canon on the price but the thing does feel like a toy.

Nice thing is since it is so cheap you won't feel terrible if you bust it. One thing I've always had an issue with when using expensive glass is that I can sometimes be hesitant to risk breaking it which means missing some shots every once in a while.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I just dont have cash to spend on this shit. I like photography, but it can be like a black hole money wise. When I was younger I could spend the cash because I had a lot. Now with a family and wife bitching for buying this stuff, its hard to do. But I do need to get a few lenses for this new body for sure.

Also reading more on focal length, cropping and all that, I guess the focal length of the lens stays the same. A 120mm medium format lens is still a 120mm lens when on a modern DSLR. Its the field of view that changes, since the area of the image is now cropped. But the good thing about this is that the area that the sensor does capture is from the center of the lens, usually where its the sharpest. Also bonus since medium format lenses are designed for 6x6cm negatives, you can use them with a tilt mount that you can get for around $150. So you can fuck around with depth of field and on architecture shots you can make tall buildings look more straight.

rrr_img_91200.png