DSLR Camera

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
so uh, what software for beginner DSLR users for altering photos?
I'm actually going to pay for it, but just wondering if it's elements or studio something.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Altering in what way? I do 95% of my post processing work in Lightroom. I do a little bit with elements but not a lot.

checkyeah_sl

shitlord
Forgive me for jumping over the first few pages of this thread, but I've been looking for a specific recommendation for awhile. I do quite a bit of web work and being able to take high resolution widescreen photos would make life easier.

I have a few friends who need to show off their work. Some of them are painters and others own cabins that they take reservations for in the summer. I need to be able to show up, snap the most professional looking photos that I can, and then either edit them myself or have the option of forwarding them to someone else.

So the real question is, what is the best camera right now for the money and what accessories do I need to take excellent landscape (widescreen) photos that show off scenery and some painting and woodworking. By wide I mean wider than 16x9.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I am not an expert but I would assume that the landscape issue is just a matter of lens choice regardless of what camera you pick. That said if DSLR is what you are looking for I would assume any canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, etc would do you just fine. If are totally uninterested in taking short video and you don't want to drop thousands of dollars then go for a Canon t3i. 100$ less and you can get a Rebel XS which would be just fine for you also. Or if you want Nikon get a d3200.

As for the lenses you will need someone with the experience I don't have to advise you.

Glendronach_sl

shitlord
If you shoot in RAW keep in mind that the RAW converter you use affects the look of the picture. My favorite is Photo Ninja; compared to ACR (lightroom), it is able to bring out alot more color detail from shadows and highlights.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not sure how relevant my question is, but I wanted just a decent entry level camera for vacation photos. I picked up a brand new Nikon Coolpix P510 for $150 today. Decent?

Illuziun

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Forgive me for jumping over the first few pages of this thread, but I've been looking for a specific recommendation for awhile. I do quite a bit of web work and being able to take high resolution widescreen photos would make life easier.

I have a few friends who need to show off their work. Some of them are painters and others own cabins that they take reservations for in the summer. I need to be able to show up, snap the most professional looking photos that I can, and then either edit them myself or have the option of forwarding them to someone else.

So the real question is, what is the best camera right now for the money and what accessories do I need to take excellent landscape (widescreen) photos that show off scenery and some painting and woodworking. By wide I mean wider than 16x9.
Lens is everything when it comes to wide angle photography. I would get a Zeiss lens, 15mm, 18mm, or the 21mm, they are the best when it comes to non moving objects. For a camera body, the D800E is basically hailed as the ultimate landscape camera body with its huge MP rating and full frame sensor. It also removes the AA filter, which makes pictures extra sharp, something that's usually only in medium format cameras. It's basically the ultimate camera body for landscape, then pair it with one of these Zeiss lenses, and you have the best combo on the market.

However, you can get away with a lot cheaper of a body then the D800, but one thing you shouldn't cheap out on is the lens.

D7100 is a GREAT camera for the money, probably the best bang for the buck on the market right now, and it's just over $1,000. If you want to go cheaper still, then just get a Canon Rebel T3i or something, those a cool little cameras that will probably do everything you want. That or a D3200 if you would prefer Nikon. If the Zeiss or manual focus is out of your league, then get something like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-17-40mm-...ens+wide+angle

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-10-24mm-...ens+wide+angle

Don't use a kit lens, those things are junk and they sound like chainsaws when they struggle for 10 seconds to focus.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
After the wife totally surprised with my a MS Surface tablet for my birthday, I'm going to surprise her with a brand new camera. She has some photography experience, and wanted to really get her something she'd enjoy all the bells and whistles, but also stay under $1000. The Nikon D5200 was listed on Cnet as the best DSLR under $1000, but of course I understand that could easily be biased, but it seemed like a good camera?

Was going to get this "kit" that came with a pretty cool lens I think.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-...ds=nikon+d5200

There's also this package, but packages I feel are rarely worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/D5200-Camera-3...ds=nikon+d5200

Any thoughts on the D5200? A friend has a Nikon and lens' and told me we could borrow some of his depending on the shots, so that's an advantage, as the lens' are all interchangeable in the Nikon line?

Really appreciate any thoughts or comments!

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
When she has expierence with DSLRs you should find out what lenses she used before and choose the camera body that way she can still possibly use her old lenses / equipment and not throw it in the bin.

eg: we can still use out old Minolta or Zeiss lenses with a new digital Sony body DSLR.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Good point. She has a Sony camera, butiI don't remember her having any lenses for it. Maybe she just had one lens so she never removed it so I never noticed.

Will have to do some secret research so I don't tip her off!

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was going to buy a RX100, but I see the MKII is coming out soon. Is the MKII worth the extra 100-150 dollars?

I ended up getting a brand new NEX 5N on ebay for $450 yesterday.

any recommendations for photo editing software?
All the Sony Nex series hype convinced me to get the Sony Nex5R. It was on sale on Dell.ca for cheaper than Amazon, so I couldn't resist.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I know this is the DSLR thread so can take this elsewhere if you all want, but I recently picked up the Cannon Eos M (mirorless) since I know dick about cameras elsewhere figured i didn't need to spend the money on a DSLR, but i read they were almost as good for beginners and were more portable. This is my first camera with changeable lenses and i got the EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens since the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Lens was sold out. Can anyone explain the difference between the two lenses and I guess with the adapter didn't can use other dslr lenses but no idea what to use, I got this since the wife wanted a good camera when the baby gets here.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I know this is the DSLR thread so can take this elsewhere if you all want, but I recently picked up the Cannon Eos M (mirorless) since I know dick about cameras elsewhere figured i didn't need to spend the money on a DSLR, but i read they were almost as good for beginners and were more portable. This is my first camera with changeable lenses and i got the EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens since the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Lens was sold out. Can anyone explain the difference between the two lenses and I guess with the adapter didn't can use other dslr lenses but no idea what to use, I got this since the wife wanted a good camera when the baby gets here.
The 18-55mm is a zoom lens and the 22mm is a prime (fixed) lens.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just got my Sony Nex5R and this thing is hella small. Some people complain about the resistive touch screen but I have no problems with it. It's quite responsive. I think being able to use the touch screen with gloves outweighs it being a slightly inferior resistive touch screen.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Its funny how far digital photography has gotten in the past 10-15 yrs. You don't even see film anymore. This must of been the swiftest death of a medium ever. I remember my first digital being a sony with 1.5 mp. and a diskette. There was like a 1 second lag from when you pushed the button to when the picture was actually taken.

eek_sl

shitlord
Its funny how far digital photography has gotten in the past 10-15 yrs. You don't even see film anymore. This must of been the swiftest death of a medium ever. I remember my first digital being a sony with 1.5 mp. and a diskette. There was like a 1 second lag from when you pushed the button to when the picture was actually taken.
There's a reason why Kodak filed for bankruptcy last year.

So, I have a 18-55 zoom lens, and a 50mm/1.8 prime lens, and I was wondering what I should get after that? I was thinking a 55-300mm telephoto, but it's quite expensive. I use the camera for general usage, but find that the 18-55mm doesn't quite have the zoom that I'd like for some things. Are there other good general purpose telephoto lenses that you'd recommend?

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
There's a reason why Kodak filed for bankruptcy last year.

So, I have a 18-55 zoom lens, and a 50mm/1.8 prime lens, and I was wondering what I should get after that? I was thinking a 55-300mm telephoto, but it's quite expensive. I use the camera for general usage, but find that the 18-55mm doesn't quite have the zoom that I'd like for some things. Are there other good general purpose telephoto lenses that you'd recommend?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Le...2/N/4288584250

Find one in your price range and then read a review or two. Just don't expect to buy a high performance lens for 300 dollars.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Swiftest? I dunno about that, fifteen years is quite a while. Fuji's still around and kodak will continue to be around and there are quite a few other film manufacturers out there. There are plenty of people rediscovering film cameras all the time. Just take a look at some of the flickr groups dedicated to film cameras.