Dune (2020)

dizzie

Triggered Happy
This film felt a bit rushed overall. Visually it was great, but ultimately it ended up being style over substance. It's by no means a bad film, and I hope he gets to make the next part.

A longer cut will be more interesting to those that have taken the time to read the books, I think.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Movies shouldn't exceed a single masturbatory interval.
E6159285-AA86-4B9E-8BE1-22C8880607F4.jpeg

• 4Worf
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 4 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Wrong. Look fag this was Transformers for Dune fags. All visual no emotion, I know retarded American Inventors love big boom boom on screeny thing make eyeballs go wow, but normal people need an actual reason to develop a connection to characters during a story.

This movie was getting to have sex with a super hot chick but she lays there like a dead fish.
Confused The Interview GIF

When part 2 comes out we are going to have a 6ish hour Dune epic and still you are going to be bleating about "STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE" and "BIG BOOM BOOM ON SCREENY THING".

Is it the way I would have done it? Maybe not. Is it the way you would have done it? Obviously not. But the guy who has made some of the best movies in the last 10 years made it this way, its understated, sorry if you need bright colors and more Super autist face cards to get engaged.

Love you man but sheesh.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Aside from the tendency to have characters fucking whispering their lines while the music is simultaneously shaking the goddamn walls of the theater, I liked it. Need to pick up the book at some point.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
When part 2 comes out we are going to have a 6ish hour Dune epic and still you are going to be bleating about "STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE" and "BIG BOOM BOOM ON SCREENY THING".
No, the problem with part 2 is going to be a smartass zoomer cunt ruining 2/3rds of the movie because she can't fucking act and has no depth beyond 'smartass zoomer cunt' but she's sucking the directors dick so he's gonna build up her otherwise non-existent part.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
No, the problem with part 2 is going to be a smartass zoomer cunt ruining 2/3rds of the movie because she can't fucking act and has no depth beyond 'smartass zoomer cunt' but she's sucking the directors dick so he's gonna build up her otherwise non-existent part.
She's fucking Tom Holland but everyone thinks its gives them Extra Virtue Signal Points plus plus whatever. I think she isn't a bad actress but there has to be someone better for this then Zendaya. Who knows? If it gets the movie made, who gives a damn in the end. All she does in this is stand around in a transluncent gown and hold various things, says three lines at the end. Everyone hated Sean Young and she was fine in Lynch's Dune.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
All she does in this is stand around in a transluncent gown and hold various things, says three lines at the end.
But it sounds like Villeneuve will make up for that in the sequel movie. “I can’t wait to shoot the second part of Dune to get [Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya] back together,” he told Italian magazine Il Venerdì di Repubblica. “Knowing that in the next chapter Zendaya will be the protagonist of the story.”

PROTAGONIST OF THE STORY.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
PROTAGONIST OF THE STORY.
We'll see how it works out. We know what the story is. DV isn't Marvel and this IP isn't the MCU; if he actually makes Chani the protagonist, which isn't apparent from everything we have seen so far, then the movie will fail and then it will be time to get GOT final season mad. Was that written in English? It sounds like a translation error more than anything else. He seems like he knows its Paul's story. Let's see what makes it to the screen for Part 2. Right now BoozeCube can't feel any emotion coming off the screen and he's bored. Dance, Atredies Monkeys!!!

After watching it twice more on the small screen, my wife made me schedule and buy tickets to go see it in the theater. She wants to see it on the big screen.

I had less trouble with Jessica's emotional outbursts seeing them a second (and third) time; they seem shorter than they did on first viewing. One thing that bothers me more with each watching though is Javier Bardiem's accent. It really worked for him in No Country for Old Men but on a personal level it just sounds so laconic here, it just screams out at me here. I talk to folks globally on a daily basis though and his super laid back delivery though just strikes the wrong note for me. I guess its one of those things where I need to see more but I understand people's dislike of Zendaya. She comes across as super flat here, I don't know what effect she is going for, world weary or cautious but its not great.

The Witcher is where they are pulling that bullshit, making all three characters equal protagonists in the story, rather than it being Geralt's story because "STRONG WOMEN" or whatever. We'll see how season 2 of that turns out as well.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The Witcher is where they are pulling that bullshit, making all three characters equal protagonists in the story, rather than it being Geralt's story because "STRONG WOMEN" or whatever. We'll see how season 2 of that turns out as well.
I take it you've only played the games lol.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I take it you've only played the games lol.
Not at all; I even read the one he wrote after the fact years later. But you're missing my point about them making Yennefer an equal part of the story POV when the books are told from Cirilla's POV and Geralt's POV and most of the books are Geralt (and everyone else) chasing after Ciri and her doing things and trying to get away from her pursuers.
In fact, that was the big twist for me is that all of the books weren't a series a chases or events, back and forths but one big chase spread out over the series very much like taking the Ring to Mordor.

Not to digress. Its also been a while and I have been reading the Richard Sharp series, so forgive me if my summary isn't precise. It just seemed a pair your comment and whatever the showrunner's comment of Geralt/Yen/Ciri being the joint protagonists.

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So I just saw this and I have some thoughts.

1. The cinematography was unreal. It was beautiful to look at the whole way through.
2. The sound editing was garbage. There was so much dialogue that got lost.
3. I know this might make me sound like a snob, but I really like how much you would miss if you don't know the books. Take the fight at the end, when Paul was fighting and kept slowing down at the kill moment. They asked "is he playing with me!?" But if you know the books, it's because he's used to fighting with shields, where you have to slow to get through the body shield. There were quite a few moments like that.
4. I'm glad they're not showing the worms more. Keeps building the tension. Kind of like Aliens.
5. They should have included more plot and character development, and fewer beautiful views.

I rather liked it. 4 out of 5. I'm excited for the next one.
I think 3 was a great point. I had forgotten about the slowing down/shield thing completely (I’ve honestly forgot most everything other than the setting, spice, etc) and I think they could have easily just said a one liner during the fighting training in the beginning. “Concentrate on slowing down or you’ll never penetrate the shield.” Boom, done. Or maybe they did and I forgot that too!

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Yes, exactly

Let's do assisted cartwheels over our opponents, straight up dance fighting from the Jumanji remake, can't take it seriously.

It's a Spice-y move for a blue belt to do in competition...without - knives -

1635873398186.png

1635873464601.png

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
People saying the casual viewer with no book knowledge probably didn't like this, are really underestimating how much visuals will drive a movie. It was interesting, big in scale, had giant worms etc. General consensus was that people just enjoyed the movie.

It's far from perfect, but a 4 hr movie (which I'd strongly prefer) would never fucking sell. A lot of over-analyzing going on. After part II & III I'm hoping it will conclude with a very solid, AAA rendition - I am worried about zoomer Chani, not gonna lie.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
People saying the casual viewer with no book knowledge probably didn't like this, are really underestimating how much visuals will drive a movie. It was interesting, big in scale, had giant worms etc. General consensus was that people just enjoyed the movie.

It's far from perfect, but a 4 hr movie (which I'd strongly prefer) would never fucking sell. A lot of over-analyzing going on. After part II & III I'm hoping it will conclude with a very solid, AAA rendition - I am worried about zoomer Chani, not gonna lie.
I don't want a Dune movie to succeed for the sake of it being a Dune movie

I want it to actually be good

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I don't want a Dune movie to succeed for the sake of it being a Dune movie

I want it to actually be good
I said it on literally page one, a lot of the stuff in dune is too booky to translate to the screen. Could some things have been better? Yes. Was it terrible? No. I stick by my 7/10.
What makes the dune books so good is all of the internal dialogue and thought processes. That does not translate well to the screen. You can't follow the books faithfully.

A lot of dune is about how thoughts and plans can be at discord with what happens. Take paul's fight at the end as is mentioned above. The fremen think one thing is happening, because in there experience there is no shields. Paul realizes and jessica figures out that his shield training could actually be a handicap in this situation. This story mostly plays out for the reader, as paul and jessica revealing this to the fremen would be foolish.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Black Chani the protagonist of the story in part 2?

Look I dont want to spoil a what, 50 year old book here, but huh? she's a love interest, nothing more, and we're not too far from the point where she exits the story completely