Dune (2020)

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>

He wants to end it with Dune Messiah. I was curious how far he'd want to go. Maybe if HBO gets the itch they'll run with Children of Dune -> GEoD as a series? He cites the Dune books after Paul's story as being "very strange", "psychedelic", and "hard to adapt".
Children of Dune is even MORE impossible to make as a film. 9 year old twins with the knowledge and sentiment of generations of adults. It reads fine, but it would be soooooo creepy and weird.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Children of Dune is even MORE impossible to make as a film. 9 year old twins with the knowledge and sentiment of generations of adults. It reads fine, but it would be soooooo creepy and weird.
I quite like the mini series. It's TITS.

• 8Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 8 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
The mini-series we're great for their time and low budget. I always thought they were more stage plays not a full blown movie. If you can get past that they're still wonderful to watch.

I actually re-watched the first mini-series over the course of a couple of evenings this past week, and forgot how much I enjoyed it. I think I've got a director's cut DVD sitting in a box somewhere.

I don't remember Children of Dune being as good as Dune, only from the standpoint of production. They both suffer from made-for-tv, but the second one really took a dip if I recall. I only watched it a couple of times, so I should probably go back and watch it. I watched the first mini-series maybe about once a year for close to a decade.

Also buddy of mine texted me this video when we were discussing the movie. Classic 90s techno and I forgot it existed.

• 1Great Review
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So just got done watching it and now see why its 2 1/2 hours long despite so much being left out for being part 1; endless beauty/establishing shots.

Lets watch the spacenuns ship come out of orbit and land, lets watch the spacenuns ship take off. Lets watch zoomer diversity hire turn around in slow motion over and over. Lets watch the disgusting fatman eat and eat.

Theyre good looking scenes, but theyre so frequent its a little annoying when that time could instead have been used to cover what was left out.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
After watching a second time, Liet Kynes is the worse thing about this entire movie.

Her whole "I am to say nothing, and hear nothing blah blah" bullshit was so fucking dumb. She is neutral, but is also there helping while saying she isnt supposed to help. Then she gets killed anyway for being a traitor. Im sure they were trying to reflect the Kynes from the book, but it was poorly done. Every scene she was in I hated and couldnt wait to see her go. And it hasnt nothing to do with her being an appropriated jogger.

Thats what Hollywood doesnt get it seems. Viewers might actually accept or even like these appropriated characters if they were interesting or impressive, but most of the time they end up worse than the original version.

Deaf Harkonnen was awesome lmao.

*bitch slap*

"DONT TAULK"

LOL.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Never read books, watched movie. Pretty good. Great visuals/soundtrack of course. Characters weren't bad, world building was nice. Would be hilarious if it never got Part 2 as the ultimate blue balls.

I'd say 8/10.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Never read books, watched movie. Pretty good. Great visuals/soundtrack of course. Characters weren't bad, world building was nice. Would be hilarious if it never got Part 2 as the ultimate blue balls.

I'd say 8/10.
Did you mean "Would have been hilarious"? They got approval already.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I thought I'd read that got green-lit, but Villuenueve was upset about the whole initial launch of things who knows what he'll do. Artists and tantrums go hand in hand. Still would like to see it for sure.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Doesnt matter if its greenlit. Youre still constrained by the availability of the actors.

spronk

FPS noob
all the principles and Denis V have signed on, the script is pretty much done, Denis V has seemed super excited about doing it and even talks about doing more (Dune Messiah)

between now and July they will probably be busy casting - Emperor, Irulan, more fremen, etc - and set building. Its still super tight, assuming a 90 day film session that leaves like 6-8 months for VFX but still very reasonable. Blade Runner 2049 ended principle photography in Nov 2016 and was in theaters Oct 2017 and I'd say that movie was far more ambitious and CGI heavy.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
So I finally watched this on the small screen because I realize it will be weeks before I can see it on the big screen.

I loved it, only complaint is that it needed more Baron!

• 1Like

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
So I finally watched this on the small screen because I realize it will be weeks before I can see it on the big screen.

I loved it, only complaint is that it needed more Baron!
It wasn't bad but would have been way better if like half the characters got cut entirely and it focused more on building up the ones who actually make it to the second movie. You need 1 boromir which they had in the duke and 1 duncan which they had in gandalf, you don't need 10, it just distracts and makes it harder to develop a connection with any 1 in a 2 hour movie.

Hopefully movie 2 is alot better since they won't have so many fluff characters and can focus on building up Rabban and the Baron as villians and Paul and Stilgar as heros. I can't even remember is Irulan even in the first book? Was she there when Paul does his duel?

• 2Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
It wasn't bad but would have been way better if like half the characters got cut entirely and it focused more on building up the ones who actually make it to the second movie. You need 1 boromir which they had in the duke and 1 duncan which they had in gandalf, you don't need 10, it just distracts and makes it harder to develop a connection with any 1 in a 2 hour movie.

Hopefully movie 2 is alot better since they won't have so many fluff characters and can focus on building up Rabban and the Baron as villians and Paul and Stilgar as heros. I can't even remember is Irulan even in the first book? Was she there when Paul does his duel?
If you've read the books, complaining that they didn't cut enough is weird. You have strange opinions.

• 2Worf

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The mini series tried it's best, but giving leto teg's power is just a gay copout among a lot of travesties. I liked it too, but ignoring the birthing crib scene in dune whatever is just wrong.

• 1Picard

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
all the principles and Denis V have signed on, the script is pretty much done, Denis V has seemed super excited about doing it and even talks about doing more (Dune Messiah)

between now and July they will probably be busy casting - Emperor, Irulan, more fremen, etc - and set building. Its still super tight, assuming a 90 day film session that leaves like 6-8 months for VFX but still very reasonable. Blade Runner 2049 ended principle photography in Nov 2016 and was in theaters Oct 2017 and I'd say that movie was far more ambitious and CGI heavy.
Willing to bet someone else's money that contracts were already signed, actors were already scheduled, stages were already reserved, etc. for Dune au Deux and the whole "if you want to see a Part 2, you have see it in theaters and/or stream it etc" was just part of the marketing campaign. If it had really and truly bombed, they could have claused their way out of it, sure but no one was scrambling to get people to come back for Part 2.

• 2Like

Szlia

"Come see the first part of this multi part movie that might not be completed if not enough people come to see it" does not sound like the best marketing idea ever.

• 2Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Willing to bet someone else's money that contracts were already signed, actors were already scheduled, stages were already reserved, etc. for Dune au Deux and the whole "if you want to see a Part 2, you have see it in theaters and/or stream it etc" was just part of the marketing campaign. If it had really and truly bombed, they could have claused their way out of it, sure but no one was scrambling to get people to come back for Part 2.
I remember reading that they had actually done some preliminary filming and screenwriting etc for Part II, while they were filming Part I. This was before COVID and in anticipation that the film would release in a normal market.

I figured it was pretty preliminary filming but I know for sure I read something a couple years back, that they'd already done some initial legwork for Part II.