Dune (2020)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Just watched this. I like that the male characters weren't constantly upstaged by their female counterparts. Just some of the time. Every time Paul had a chance to look strong, it seemed like there was a woman around to correct him. Like Zendaya appearing behind him and saying she could have killed him at any time, during the part where he got to high ground on the Fremen.

Speaking of the Fremen, are they all black in the books, or is that another social justice thing?

I dunno and I don't really care either, because the movie was visually so stunning that I could have watched it for another 2 hours. Most visually-stunning movie I've seen since Prometheus (which was filmed in Iceland). This one was filmed in Jordan, which has some of the most stunning vistas on Earth. It's amazing to me how nice Jordan is compared to next-door Syria.

Sterling

El Presidente
Just watched this. I like that the male characters weren't constantly upstaged by their female counterparts. Just some of the time. Every time Paul had a chance to look strong, it seemed like there was a woman around to correct him. Like Zendaya appearing behind him and saying she could have killed him at any time, during the part where he got to high ground on the Fremen.

Speaking of the Fremen, are they all black in the books, or is that another social justice thing?

I dunno and I don't really care either, because the movie was visually so stunning that I could have watched it for another 2 hours. Most visually-stunning movie I've seen since Prometheus (which was filmed in Iceland). This one was filmed in Jordan, which has some of the most stunning vistas on Earth. It's amazing to me how nice Jordan is compared to next-door Syria.
He rarely got very descriptive of physical appearance racewise or whatever. Generally speaking it's far enough in the future it'd likely have been most people became mud people, then speciation started happening during isolation for various populations. We're talking ~ 1000 generations from now. Liet was a dude with sandy hair though in the books so that was definitely a switch, but does actually make the Zendaya casting make more sense in context.

In general I really liked the movie and feel like while I personally would have liked the extra details from the book, I feel like they hit most of the important broad stroke points.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
My only question is...where is Feyd?

I'm guessing he'll be in Part 2. Wonder who they can cast who will be able to fill Sting's shoes (and codpiece)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
My only question is...where is Feyd?

I'm guessing he'll be in Part 2. Wonder who they can cast who will be able to fill Sting's shoes (and codpiece)

i'm pretty sure they removed Feyd Rautha and merged his character into The Beast Rabban, played by Dave Bautista. He'll probably play a bigger role in part 2. While the books and the 84 movie have specific reasons that Rabban and Feyd are seperate people, it doesn't seem like The Baron in this movie really gives a shit about the Arrakis population.

The interesting question is whether the genetic eunuch Hasmir Fenring will be rolled into Beast Rabban as well or will he pop up as a new character, since he's sorta tied to Irulan and The Emperor.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not that I've watched this crap but Feyd is the primary antagonist of the second half, I don't see how they could leave him out entirely. Wasn't his attempted assassination against his uncle from the first half?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Not that I've watched this crap but Feyd is the primary antagonist of the second half, I don't see how they could leave him out entirely. Wasn't his attempted assassination against his uncle from the first half?
I'd be really surprised if Hollywood decided to replace or eliminate a white, male villain.

• 1Like

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Finally got around to watching this.

Stunning visuals.

Uncertain how but the David Lynch movie did a better job of making me care more about the characters. Maybe they were portrayed as much more larger than life considering the screen time they were given in the original.

Dr Huey in the Lynch movie was infinitely better than the current version.

Total agree on all points. I think the Lynch movie gets far more hate than it deserves. The dude had to make a mammoth of a story fit in a 2hr and 17m constraint. No easy feat given the source material. It's amazing it covered as much ground as it did.

• 2Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>

The book isn't much different re women

Lady Jessica, Chani, Gaius Helen Mohiam ... all lethal bitches

nu_11

The book isn't much different re women

Lady Jessica, Chani, Gaius Helen Mohiam ... all lethal bitches
Irulan? She’s attractive and smart but she’s always getting bested by everyone.

Is Paul ever in danger of getting killed by a woman in Dune? Can’t recall if that ever happened.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

Is Paul ever in danger of getting killed by a woman in Dune? Can’t recall if that ever happened.
Chani could have killed him if it had come to that when they first encountered the Fremen, I recall that part of the scene also being in the mini-series.

• 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Yeah, right at the beginning with Gaius Helen Mohiam.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
I saw this on Imax a couple times and only watched it on background on HBO Max. When Villeneuve said the movie was conceived for imax first, he meant it:

Was seeing it in 1.43:1 an option on HBOMax? Never checked.