Dune (2020)

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
I have high hopes for this after the steaming pile of shit that Star Wars has turned into.

Denis Villeneuve you’re our only hope.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

nu_11

I have high hopes for this after the steaming pile of shit that Star Wars has turned into.

Denis Villeneuve you’re our only hope.
Note to Star Wars fans... don’t even think about building a fandom for Dune.

Fandoms are shit. They ruin everything.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
Note to Star Wars fans... don’t even think about building a fandom for Dune.

Fandoms are shit. They ruin everything.
Are you aware there was this book called Dune by Frank Herbert that was written in 1965?

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Are you aware there was this book called Dune by Frank Herbert that was written in 1965?
Dont be too hard on the guy.

I mean, even the people in charge of casting this movie are apparently unaware of this so-called "book version of Dune". How is a random fan on the internet supposed to know about it?

• 3Worf
  • 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
The actress playing Lady Jessica seems a bit young to me. They need to cast a proper MILF in that role. I always thought they did a good job with Saskia Reeves in the mini-series.

19146038.jpg-r_1280_720-f_jpg-q_x-xxyxx.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

the mini series was good and had tits, I do not know what people complain about in it... you are not going to 100% book it, heck they could not even manage to 100% book THE HOBBIT over 3 movies...

• 2Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I just started reading the first Dune book, and I'm trying to think of how they will best illustrate all the thoughts that go through the minds of Paul and Jessica. Since their strength relies so much on how they analyze situations in their heads.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The actress playing Lady Jessica seems a bit young to me. They need to cast a proper MILF in that role. I always thought they did a good job with Saskia Reeves in the mini-series.

View attachment 228646
She is quite nice, a close second to Francesca Annis in the '84 version. The current Jessica is a distant third, but not horrible.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
The exposition in general is going to be really tough to cover. Along with how important the ecology of the world is (probably not the most exciting thing on screen), is gonna be a huge task.

If Villeneuve can't do it, then at least we got a (hopefully) honest attempt by a very talented director.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
So I finished BR2049 and, yeah, it was his weakest effort to date in my opinion. I think I liked it better on second viewing, but knowing K's story arc in advance does take the wind out of it all a bit.

Regardless, I have high hopes here. Right, they cannot "book" it 100%, not even remotely close, but the way V tells a story I am hoping he doesn't get bogged down into too much useless detail. BR2049 had some disconnects that probably came in editing for time, and I feel like Dune could suffer the same. Focus on the desert, water, worms and spice, and give me about three points of violence/battle and I am good.

The old movie's "visible thought" exposition was too much "book" and was kind of distracting. I think it is a neat and quirky thing about the old movie, but not to be repeated.

I am halfway through Book 5 now. I think 1 and 2 make for great movie fodder but once it turns to the kids and Leto goes all Shai-Hulud/Golden Path it really becomes a little too.......philosophical. I guess you could do a movie focusing on the Duncans, since that is a common thread, that might be kind of interesting. But with the introduction of the emerging "Shariat" in Book 5 things get a little too Mid East political for today's audience. The shades of that up to the end of Book 4 were more subtle.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1WTF

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Really? I felt like Blade Runner 2049 was a crowning achievement for him. And I went into that fully expecting it to be a clusterfuck. I feel like where there have been attempts by others to worldbuild a futuristic society, he really nailed it in a way I have rarely seen before. Man, I am so gay for that movie, I fucking love everything about it.

I've only done the first book, did it on audiobook and I didn't like it because of the way they did the voicework. The story is amazing but doesn't translate well, with all the internal monologue/narrative. I'm pumped for the movie though because I really like Villeneuve and if nothing else am interested to see his vision.

• 7Like
  • 5Solidarity
Reactions: 11 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah I felt like 2049 was amazing. One of my favorite movies from last how ever many years.

• 4Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I absolutely loved Blade Runner 2049. His gorgeous cinematography aside, I thought the rest of the movie worked really well.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

I know this is not the thread...

but in 2049... the chick was like "LuLZ u thought u were the kid?" implying he is not bla bla bla etc.

but... he found the thing in the ash at the plant... did that group of "free" replicant like just go put one back every time a new dudes followed the "fake memory" path or something? I thought that was like the /nod nod/ that he WAS the kid and his memories were real?

maybe I just need to watch it again.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole

but in 2049... the chick was like "LuLZ u thought u were the kid?" implying he is not bla bla bla etc.

but... he found the thing in the ash at the plant... did that group of "free" replicant like just go put one back every time a new dudes followed the "fake memory" path or something? I thought that was like the /nod nod/ that he WAS the kid and his memories were real?

The chick in the bubble that creates all the replicant memories to give them a fealling of life experience was the kid. I assume she gives different memories to different replicants and maybe he is the only one who got those memories. It seemed like others have thought they were the kid in the past based on other of her memories but they where just her memories implanted.

• 2Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So I finished BR2049 and, yeah, it was his weakest effort to date in my opinion. I think I liked it better on second viewing, but knowing K's story arc in advance does take the wind out of it all a bit.

Regardless, I have high hopes here. Right, they cannot "book" it 100%, not even remotely close, but the way V tells a story I am hoping he doesn't get bogged down into too much useless detail. BR2049 had some disconnects that probably came in editing for time, and I feel like Dune could suffer the same. Focus on the desert, water, worms and spice, and give me about three points of violence/battle and I am good.

There's a 3.5 hour cut of BR2049 but its not known whether the studio will release it, its all about rights distribution when it comes to blu-ray releases. If they sold the rights off internationally to too many countries, too many companies then it usually lowers the chance.

He had to work down from 3 to 4 hours, and the places he cut are very well known at this point-- as there has been plenty of interviews and buzz about it during the release aftermath. The BR2049 thread has explicit details on that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob

Its a bit weird, I just assumed he was the only replicant who actually got that far in looking into it. No other replicant would really have had access to that location, remember all those people were shooting at him as he was landing and only the "missiles in the sky" that Love was controlling saved his ass. He was also the only one who had any inkling that was a location on the trail, he got that location from I believe something Bautista buried in Rachael's casket? No one else would really have gotten on the "this orphan was recorded as dead and was raised in this recycling kiddie farm".

Presumably the real "bubble daughter" implants a lot of these fake memories in every replicant, and many of them will start to wonder if they are real if its ever figured out a replicant had a kid (that information only got found out SUPER recent, so it couldn't have spread that far). That'll be some sort of seed for a replicant revolution.

Honestly the whole thing was kinda messy and murky, probably could have been handled a bit more subtly and indirect, I think showing an army waiting for a leader was maybe overboard.

• 2Solidarity