Dune (2020)

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
but... he found the thing in the ash at the plant... did that group of "free" replicant like just go put one back every time a new dudes followed the "fake memory" path or something? I thought that was like the /nod nod/ that he WAS the kid and his memories were real?
I assume hes the only that found it since he was a cop and had the ability to go out to the wasteland. Even then he had support from Luv to help deal with the junk people. Any other replicant would have been destroyed.

I see spronk beat me too it.

Honestly the whole thing was kinda messy and murky, probably could have been handled a bit more subtly and indirect, I think showing an army waiting for a leader was maybe overboard.
Yeah that was the only thing that was out of place IMO.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Honestly the whole thing was kinda messy and murky, probably could have been handled a bit more subtly and indirect, I think showing an army waiting for a leader was maybe overboard.

Yup- thanks! I actually totally forgot about the actual ending... my recollection ended near the explosions and fight in the water? heck those may have been before and after the reveal.. lol

But I agree with this quote - and making it more subtle AND indirect would actually be better inline with BR and well..the first 90% of the movie. Just as the other discussion that popped up on if the hookers were replicants "Hes not into real girls" - can be taken as "Real vs replicants" and they are real, or "real (&replicants i.e physical) vs. hologram girls" - but are suddenly hologram girls taking over? I know there was a giant "ad" for Joi etc... but to me a hologram girl was a step back from a replicant that is all but human... seeing as a replicant could have the same "type" of programming the VR girls had... eh... whatever... I guess its just a good excuse to watch it again.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
"Oh, I see you aren't into real girls" was a direct reference to Joi - the music went off in his pocket when the ho was talking to him. Apparently everyone knows what that music represents. They did make sure it played enough earlier so that you did too.

They pretty much laid out the memory of the horse in the ashes: he asked Deckard's daughter about real memories and she said "It is illegal to use real memories," and she also said something like "the best ones have something of the designer in them". It was all heavy foreshadowing that you were then supposed to "OOOOOH that's her memory" when right after she had a heavy emotional reaction to seeing into K's brain. and said "yes, someone lived this". The movie tries to manipulate you in to continuing to allow the possibility that HE lived it, but I remember it being pretty weak even on first watch. I was never convinced he was the kid.

ANYWAY. 2/3 through Dune Book 5. Interesting overall twist that the Bene Gesserit are essentially villians in the first 3 books, a footnote in the third since it was all Leto II all the time, and now in 5 they are one of the protagonists. My conditioning from 1-3 makes me still want to hate them, but it is fading. I feel like Herbert is bringing something about the "power of love/connection" into the central theme of this book now, as the Bene Gesserit are all about the no love allowed and its a weakness and all that. Don't pull an Interstellar on me, man!

Any new news about the movie?

• 1Solidarity

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Any new news about the movie?

Some shady sources say there's gonna be a teaser / trailer going out during Christmas / winter. Could be bullshit though. Also be aware Villeneuve is doing a Warner Media (HBO) miniseries The Sisterhood based on the Bene Gesserit. It's implied he'll direct, co-write and produce first episodes with Herbert estate on board. Villeneuve is going full-on Dune and that's probably the most exciting upcoming "franchise" right now.

• 1Like

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
ANYWAY. 2/3 through Dune Book 5. Interesting overall twist that the Bene Gesserit are essentially villians in the first 3 books, a footnote in the third since it was all Leto II all the time, and now in 5 they are one of the protagonists.

I just want to say that it is so refreshing to think back to good SF like Dune where entire organizations are the villains, in juxtaposition with the comic book movie age in which we are in, where the villain is a single entity. Most of the Honored Matres are not even named in the last two books, it is their system and the implementation of their ideology that represents the villain. The same with Bene Tleilax , even if they do have named champions of a sort.

I do really hope this comes across in the movie too. Sure, the Houses are named and the individuals play a larger role in the story of the first book, but the organizations and the systems are greatly present too. Suk Doctors, Bene Gesserit, the Sardaukar, The Guild... all these make an interesting setting that boosts the narrative.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I just wanted to drop in here and say I can't believe Herbert dropped the Jews into the 6th book (Chapterhouse). Also this book is a complete fucking drag and I am 2/3 of the way done - easily the worst in the series imo.

Anyway, any news on the movie?

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I just wanted to drop in here and say I can't believe Herbert dropped the Jews into the 6th book (Chapterhouse). Also this book is a complete fucking drag and I am 2/3 of the way done - easily the worst in the series imo.

Anyway, any news on the movie?
Yeah, but Miles Teg.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, and the great scenes with Bene Tleiax.
Sure, the ending was weird, but I believe this was not supposed to be the final book in the Dune Saga. Dune is an unfinished series, you should know.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, and the great scenes with Bene Tleiax.
Sure, the ending was weird, but I believe this was not supposed to be the final book in the Dune Saga. Dune is an unfinished series, you should know.

Don't worry, Brian Herbert to the rescue, he'll finish it for you.

• 3Rustled
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Villeneuve_Dune.png

• 5Worf
  • 4Like
Reactions: 8 users

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Just hit me that we're only about a year out from this, fucking stoked! That cast.... is it going to be possible for this to meet expectations? I mean I fucking loooooved BR2049, it was a 10/10, and my expectations are that this movie will exceed it.

• 1Garbage

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
What ? Pepe in my Dune ?

Seriously, now. Even if you take the narrative as a cautionary story about the evils of Muslim-inspired religious zeal, you cannot deny that there are notes of admiration towards such a culture. The fremens are the oppressed noble savages with a clear Islamic bend, the Imperial and Harkonnen houses are the capitalistic oppressors and the Atreides are the libcuck traitors.

Now, all of you alt-right red-blooded americans, do not go on hating Dune, it is a work of fiction after all. I just do not understand what Pepe has to do with it.
When Frank Herbert wrote this wonderful book, the pendulum of public discourse was not yet to the alt-right. Alt-right, as we know it today, didnt exist back then.
Change my mind.

• 2Seriously?
  • 1Salty
  • 1Mother of God

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
What ? Pepe in my Dune ?

Seriously, now. Even if you take the narrative as a cautionary story about the evils of Muslim-inspired religious zeal, you cannot deny that there are notes of admiration towards such a culture. The fremens are the oppressed noble savages with a clear Islamic bend, the Imperial and Harkonnen houses are the capitalistic oppressors and the Atreides are the libcuck traitors.

Now, all of you alt-right red-blooded americans, do not go on hating Dune, it is a work of fiction after all. I just do not understand what Pepe has to do with it.
When Frank Herbert wrote this wonderful book, the pendulum of public discourse was not yet to the alt-right. Alt-right, as we know it today, didnt exist back then.
Change my mind.
Your over analyzing. Pepe shoooopped into anything is funny.
And pepe isn't anywhere near alt-right. Pepe has no "party" save for the kek.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1GreNeg

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Solid job by Music to recover a potential derail.

So, Dune! Can't wait.

• 1Solidarity

Sterling

El Presidente
Just got done rereading the 6 Frank books. Didn't follow up with any of the other shit because that's exactly what it is. If you've never read past Chapterhouse, don't. Learning what happens to those characters isn't worth it.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users