Dune (2020)

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
How could a white dude taking a bunch of sand people on a jihad possibly upset anyone?
Turks weren't happy, but fuck those guys.
loa2.jpg

• 7Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Isaac is a fantastic actor, regardless of his height. Cruise is one of the most respected actors of all time and he is even shorter.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Pops

My, my how times have changed. Not once in my early teens, 50 years ago, did I envision any of these characters as small effeminate males.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Isaac is a fantastic actor, regardless of his height. Cruise is one of the most respected actors of all time and he is even shorter.
I was just going to say this. Tom Cruise has been crushing it for decades and he is a fucking midget.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Duke leto- nailed it, semi menacing look etc.
duncan idaho...maybe?? all depends.

all the rest i think are good.

And if you have read all the Frank books, you KNOW how important is Duncan Idaho.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
And if you have read all the Frank books, you KNOW how important is Duncan Idaho.
But let's be real: Those later Herbert books aren't going to make it to the big screen without major, MAJOR changes.

Going from [Edited for stupid mistake] Max von Synow to what will probably be a lesbian black woman, though? I bow to no one in my love of Dennis' movie making but this change rattles me somewhat. The movie is already literally full of bad ass women; Frank Herbert was ahead of his time, in that regard. why gender-swap another? GretaThunberging Paul will doom this movie straight away.

Last edited:

etchazz

Trakanon Raider

Respected actors of all time? Are you fucking serious? No one in Hollywood can stand Tom Cruise. Now, if you wanted a religious nut job to play Paul Atreides, Cruise would be perfect.

• 1Salty
  • 1EyeRoll

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Politics is a popularity contest, not Hollywood. It doesn't matter if his peers don't "like" him, they can get fucked. He is still killing it at the box office and is highly marketable, on the eve of dropping another mega hit.

Thats all that matters. That and him actually being a quality actor. I don't like the guy either, but he is convincing in many roles.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Szlia

Not being quit sane and being a great actor are certainly not mutually exclusive, I mean... Klaus Kinski. As for height, it's pretty much meaningless because of movie magic.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
well if you think about it.

the fremen are basically muslim in all but name, EXCEPT they are, "iran 70's" muslims like iran USED to have ie women had rights, no hijab etc.
another possible group they could be like would be the celtic tribes from way back. with a touch of native indian in there.

I think they're simply Caucasian tribesmen in space. One of my favorite books to read is The Sabres of Paradise by Lesley Blanch. I bought it because I had read an article stating it inspired Herbert in a big way.

Holy shit what an understatement.

The Sabres of Paradise is literally about a religious community living in the Caucasus Mountains and their struggle against the Russian Emperor. Some of the special words (Kanly, Kindjal, or Chakobsa) are lifted straight from the text and thrown into Dune.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider

Fucking-A right. I wanted to name my first born son Duncan Idaho. Didn't pan out, had to name him Paul instead.

• 2Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Politics is a popularity contest, not Hollywood. It doesn't matter if his peers don't "like" him, they can get fucked. He is still killing it at the box office and is highly marketable, on the eve of dropping another mega hit.

Thats all that matters. That and him actually being a quality actor. I don't like the guy either, but he is convincing in many roles.
Who knows what he is like behind the public persona he outs on. But his movies are pretty good, he's pretty good.

Love the casting so far. Doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, the best cast can't fix a fucked up movie, but it looks pretty good.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
The rest of the cast is looking ok, but black chani is less attractive in each pic they release. If they couldn't cast someone who looked the part was it too much to ask she not be fugly?

Still watching. Won't be able to help myself.

• 2Salty
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The rest of the cast is looking ok, but black chani is less attractive in each pic they release. If they couldn't cast someone who looked the part was it too much to ask she not be fugly?

Still watching. Won't be able to help myself.

You gay?

hawt.jpg

• 7Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 7 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah, I can see how someone wouldn't consider her a smokeshow, but fugly? wat.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't want her serving me at hooters, but she's definitely not fugly.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
My, my how times have changed. Not once in my early teens, 50 years ago, did I envision any of these characters as small effeminate males.
I always envisioned Paul as a fairly skinny build. Similar to an Orlando Bloom or something. I think Chalamet is almost a perfect depiction of Paul in my mind's eye.

• 2Solidarity