Dune (2020)

Oldbased

> Than U
Dune-Chani-Zendaya-1536x1015.jpg
Hot as fuck. I'd totally hit that for 5 minutes after spending 2 hours getting that shit off her.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 3 users

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Oki, one nitpick... Weren't the eyes supposed to be entirely blue, not just the pupils and the iris, but the entire eye ball ?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I feel like that's one of those "movie" things where they don't want to detract from the famous actors so much with something like completely blue eyes. Sort of like how they didn't want to have Stallone wear the helmet all through Judge Dredd, because they were banking on Stallone more than the source material bringing in the viewers. Even a show like Supernatural, that has had probably a hundred or more different actors with eyes that are completely black, red, yellow, white, etc., only do it briefly to let you know they are a demon or whatever, and then go back to normal eyes. In their case I'm sure budget played a bigger part, but if you've watched any of it you'd know how distracting it is to change the eyes completely like that. It is pretty much all you can look at.

I could be wrong, and maybe they'll post-production it up, and they likely have the budget for something so relatively minor, but I kind of feel like they won't want to have the only thing anyone remembers about Zendaya and others being their eyes.

Anyway, this looks amazing. I literally cannot watch the old Dune movie, I despise it so much. My coworker thinks it is amazing, and we've argued about that plenty over the years. It would be great to finally get a real fucking version of Dune after all this time. It was one of the first true sci-fi books I ever read, and after the crushing disappointment of that old movie, I finally have some hope again.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I mean you gotta play ball to get into pocket$.

He just got done burning a few hundred million on Bladerunner. Nobody was going to give him another several hundred M, without going a little woke to open some producer pockets up-- and that is fine with me.

I was under the impression that 2049 actually did super well on DVD/Blue-ray? I think it's projected to be just like it's predecessor where it earns its real money in the long run.

Sterling

El Presidente
That article doesn't really say anything that we don't already know. I'm not super excited about what they did with Kynes but Vileneuve's track record for movies is exceptional so I'll wait to freak out until there's an actual reason to. The comment about the Baron being a caricature is true, even if it wasn't as much of a thing when it was written 55 years ago. Of course there's a real chance that this will be awful, there's so many inflections in the book that could easily go in a bad direction on film. But he absolutely knocked 2049 out of the park, Sicario is awesome, and whatever you want to say about Arrival it was well made so like I said I think it'll likely be fine.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I feel like that's one of those "movie" things where they don't want to detract from the famous actors so much with something like completely blue eyes. Sort of like how they didn't want to have Stallone wear the helmet all through Judge Dredd, because they were banking on Stallone more than the source material bringing in the viewers. Even a show like Supernatural, that has had probably a hundred or more different actors with eyes that are completely black, red, yellow, white, etc., only do it briefly to let you know they are a demon or whatever, and then go back to normal eyes. In their case I'm sure budget played a bigger part, but if you've watched any of it you'd know how distracting it is to change the eyes completely like that. It is pretty much all you can look at.

I could be wrong, and maybe they'll post-production it up, and they likely have the budget for something so relatively minor, but I kind of feel like they won't want to have the only thing anyone remembers about Zendaya and others being their eyes.

Anyway, this looks amazing. I literally cannot watch the old Dune movie, I despise it so much. My coworker thinks it is amazing, and we've argued about that plenty over the years. It would be great to finally get a real fucking version of Dune after all this time. It was one of the first true sci-fi books I ever read, and after the crushing disappointment of that old movie, I finally have some hope again.

Please introduce me to your coworker, I'd like to throat chop him/her. Anyone who thinks the original movie was even decent doesn't deserve to live.

• 3Picard
  • 2Dislike
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider

Please introduce me to your coworker, I'd like to throat chop him/her. Anyone who thinks the original movie was even decent doesn't deserve to live.

faille

Molten Core Raider
I really enjoy the original movie but I saw it long before I read the books. probably saw it a few times for that matter.
As far as sci fi movies goes, it was one of the best options around at the time. Been meaning to rewatch it to see how it holds up against my nostalgia

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Just reread entire series on audible and watched both movie and TV show.
I am pumped but even more so now:

“If you thought it might get better from there, think again. In the obvious puff piece from Vanity Fair, they describe Paul Atreides as Greta Thunberg

• 4Worf
  • 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Duke leto- nailed it, semi menacing look etc.
duncan idaho...maybe?? all depends.

all the rest i think are good.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The comment about the Baron being a caricature is true, even if it wasn't as much of a thing when it was written 55 years ago.
This is actually a problem when you go back and read the books. The Baron is so comic book villain evil that it almost breaks believability, and then you realize that people like Dick Cheney actually exist and then his presentation looks suddenly more realistic.

It's pretty much impossible to make a movie from a book where the sandpeople terrorists are the good guys (and led by a magical white messiah) without treading on some very woke ground.

This movie is probably going to piss everyone off and be totally awesome.

• 6Like
  • 2Salty
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 10 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
well if you think about it.

the fremen are basically muslim in all but name, EXCEPT they are, "iran 70's" muslims like iran USED to have ie women had rights, no hijab etc.
another possible group they could be like would be the celtic tribes from way back. with a touch of native indian in there.

the Fremen are not the Terrorists. that was the harkonen- they were the ones terrorizing the natives not the other way around.
plus you could say that the harkonens AND attraides(however you spell it) are both INVADERS that are invading there land to get the spice.

still want to see this movie done well.

Sterling

El Presidente
This is actually a problem when you go back and read the books. The Baron is so comic book villain evil that it almost breaks believability, and then you realize that people like Dick Cheney actually exist and then his presentation looks suddenly more realistic.

It's pretty much impossible to make a movie from a book where the sandpeople terrorists are the good guys (and led by a magical white messiah) without treading on some very woke ground.

This movie is probably going to piss everyone off and be totally awesome.
How could a white dude taking a bunch of sand people on a jihad possibly upset anyone?

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users