Dune (2020)

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sounds like they cast white people to play white people and an Asian to play an Asian

And then oops, random black chick. I'm sure no one will notice she's a different race than all the other white fremen.

This isn't complicated.

In the books Chani is mixed race, the daughter of Liet-Kynes and a Fremen. In the movie Liet-Kynes is a black woman, and Chani is a mixed race actress. This isn't complicated.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
In the books Chani is mixed race, the daughter of Liet-Kynes and a Fremen. In the movie Liet-Kynes is a black woman, and Chani is a mixed race actress. This isn't complicated.
Exactly this. You can bitch about what they did with Liet-Kynes but Chani's casting works in context at least racially.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
actress playing Jessica is from Sweden, same as actor playing Vladimir Harkonnen.
Scandinavian house name, described as fair skinned from low sunlight, and Jessica is literally the Baron's daughter. I got no problem with these two.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Liet Kynes is a black woman now? Wtf

I must have mentally erased that because it was so goddam ridiculous.

• 1Salty

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
kH7NIZlmougowAYg6_W6i4H7Ydxajh_jV4Yl6yZ-ticUK_IUZofKa07g7MSvi_FaRNnfKkSAoinS1A=s1196-nd

Edit: *Not sure if this is real or fan made.
So uninspired ffs

Sterling

El Presidente
Pretty sure it's fan made. Every character is directly from the released photos.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Not too worried about the "woke-ness". The Greta Thurnberg comment was made by a Vanity Fair writer who probably read a skim through version of Dune before getting the article, and then made a very lazy comparison. "Ecology + young, oh shit that must = Greta!"

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Liet Kynes is a black woman now? Wtf

I must have mentally erased that because it was so goddam ridiculous.
I heard it, not a huge fan, but whatever. It's the ideas & theories of the character that have meaning on the story ultimately, not really the character itself. If that makes sense? How I read the books anyway.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Yeah

They totally made a posted based on the promo shots from Vanity Fair

Ya'll Wakandanz stoopid, yo

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The real question: Will the sandworms have any chance of living up to all the giant sandworm-like raid bosses we've all defeated over the years?

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Most actors are short as hell. Its a selection effect as much as anything as the super tall athletic types aren't usually theater geeks. Then you get aberrations like Chrisopher Lee at 6'5" and they look gigantic.

I've been fortunate enough to meet several actors in my lifetime, and yes, a lot of them are extremely short. I think the most surprising for me how was short Kit Harington is. He's like 5'6". I also got to hang out one time with Sean Penn. He's seriously like 5'5". On the other end of the spectrum, The Rock is every bit of 6'4" or 6'5", James Woods is 6'1", Hugh Jackmon is 6'2". So there is definitely a lot of Hollywood "magic" going on to make these actors taller (and in some cases shorter) than they really are.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The real question: Will the sandworms have any chance of living up to all the giant sandworm-like raid bosses we've all defeated over the years?

And will they have to traverse an invisible bridge to get to it!

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is actually a problem when you go back and read the books. The Baron is so comic book villain evil that it almost breaks believability, and then you realize that people like Dick Cheney actually exist and then his presentation looks suddenly more realistic.

It's pretty much impossible to make a movie from a book where the sandpeople terrorists are the good guys (and led by a magical white messiah) without treading on some very woke ground.

This movie is probably going to piss everyone off and be totally awesome.

I always love it when the left turns people they disagree with into 1 dimensional cartoon characters. You think you are being funny and so smart while repeating your lie so much you even believe it. So when the person you belittled beats you at every move because you thought they were a cartoon and it turns out they were much more complicated (human), your only recourse is to cry, whine and call everyone Nazi's. Repeating it over and over to soothe the hurt that reality does to you.

The left will never grow up.

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I always love it when the left turns people they disagree with into 1 dimensional cartoon characters. You think you are being funny and so smart while repeating your lie so much you even believe it. So when the person you belittled beats you at every move because you thought they were a cartoon and it turns out they were much more complicated (human), your only recourse is to cry, whine and call everyone Nazi's. Repeating it over and over to soothe the hurt that reality does to you.

The left will never grow up.
Did you actually read my post?

I mean, Sterling got it, and at least 5 other people did too. Here's a hint, it's literally the exact opposite of what you somehow think it says.

How many IQ points lower are you? What did you get on your reading comprehension score on your SAT?

Last edited:

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did you actually read my post?

I mean, Sterling got it. How many IQ points lower are you?

Your Dick Cheney love is what my post was about. You actually believe he is the Darth Vader character the left has turned him into.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Your Dick Cheney love is what my post was about. You actually believe he is the Darth Vader character the left has turned him into.
I didn't say Darth Vader. Darth Vader didn't invade desert countries/worlds to profit off of their resources. Further, Darth Vader was redeemable.

If you can't see parallels between Baron Harkonnen or and someone like Dick Cheney or Vladimir Putin then I don't know what the fuck planet you live on, because it's not Earth or Arrakis.

• 1Salty
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 users