Dune (2020)

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have you not watched equilibrium? That movie is as perfect as a non super block buster budget crazy movie can be - that was not "formal" heh, and that's kinda the point - it /was/ part of the feeling of the world they wanted you to have.

1984 meets A History of Violence.

I loved the fight at the end, no flim flam, just face-off.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Arggh, why dont they use some clothes with style in big SF movies ? Like in Equilibrium, that movie had an fashion sense that was integrated well in the futuristic narrative of the movie and actually made the movie better. What the fuck is with those pants and shirt ? Like a peasant in the 1800s.

I guess Villeneuve is going for a more raw and gritty approach. Their stillsuits not having boob armor cuts, their clothes seeming more practical than visual, everything points to a rather "realistic" vision than the "fantasy" one (I'm not being pejorative here).

Also I love Equilibrium and I think it's one of the most underrated movie of the last 20 years. Both the visuals, costumes, decors, lore and narrative, were straight on. And the gun-kata combat, which looked like kind of silly back in the day, doesn't seem like a wild thing anymore nowadays.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I imagine they will, but if Dune has the very heavy brutalist feel that Equilibrium had, I'd be very, very happy with that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Huge Dune fan here and I don't want to see this. Media companies in the modern era have proven over and over that they can't handle remakes correctly without bastardizing them. You have your rare exception (Fury Road, which is more a reboot but yeah). Key word rare. I'm just tired of seeing things from my childhood get revived that don't need to be revived, then utterly trashed. I guess no one is forcing me to see this, or any other remake, but it's more of the principle of the thing. If it ends up being one of the rare good ones against the odds, I'll stand corrected

• 3Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
whats with the harem pants

42eda093-6e91-4820-9f39-f9c4720c0ec9.jpg
Gotta make room for Gurney's massive balls.

iannis

Musty Nester
Huge Dune fan here and I don't want to see this. Media companies in the modern era have proven over and over that they can't handle remakes correctly without bastardizing them. You have your rare exception (Fury Road, which is more a reboot but yeah). Key word rare. I'm just tired of seeing things from my childhood get revived that don't need to be revived, then utterly trashed. I guess no one is forcing me to see this, or any other remake, but it's more of the principle of the thing. If it ends up being one of the rare good ones against the odds, I'll stand corrected

To be fair at it's core dune is a story about jihad against an imperial power. It's a great fucking story, the first two books are masterful. But the metaphors for Islam and Christianity are both intentional and obvious.

But this is not a story that's going to go over well in the west anymore if they try to be faithful to Herbert. Ain't no one wants to see Christ lose and some weird Giant Worm God King rule for 2,000 years.

Hopefully they just say fuck it and do it. Because those first two books are so damn good. I guess they could score some social credit points or something.

They're gonna turn Paul gay. You know they're gonna.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
While I'd agree with the "No thanks to remakes" stance, I think that is selling Villeneuve's attempt short. The guy has a legitimate track record of nailing "hard to make" sci-fi movies. If he fails, fuck it. Much rather see this guy try. Especially considering there has never been a truly faithful attempt to make this movie before.

• 3Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Exactly. If anyone was going to try and make Dune, its this guy.

And the cast is ridiculous. So much talent. Then you add in the fact that the cinematography is going to be stunning, combined with slick camera work and awesome score? It will be a decent movie at the very least IMO.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
You can easily make this a trilogy; cover everything in Dune and Messiah and finish up with Children and then STOP. Full Stop. Because the fourth book, while great, is basically -nothing- like the previous ones. What was it, a 3000 year skip or something similar? I know Leto II mentions something to the effect that he doesn't have all that much longer left anyway (comparatively) before all the shit goes down on the way to the parade ground. It's great sci-fi but that is not going to sell well to a movie going audience, at all. It'll be even worse than Bladerunner 2049 audience numbers, even if the first three do really well.

God Emperor (and subsequent books) are just such extreme sci-fi that it's hard to make a movie that people will want to watch, unless you market them as just "and in Dune's Universe" or something.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I guess Villeneuve is going for a more raw and gritty approach. Their stillsuits not having boob armor cuts, their clothes seeming more practical than visual, everything points to a rather "realistic" vision than the "fantasy" one (I'm not being pejorative here).

Also I love Equilibrium and I think it's one of the most underrated movie of the last 20 years. Both the visuals, costumes, decors, lore and narrative, were straight on. And the gun-kata combat, which looked like kind of silly back in the day, doesn't seem like a wild thing anymore nowadays.

The Matricks beat Equilibrium to the punch unfortunately. Snuffed out by the concept already being done better with more "woke" added.

• 1Garbage

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The gun-kata shit was still dumb.

They could of executed that a bit differently, emphasizing more on reloading speed, accuracy, and battle endurance/concentration, instead of ballerina arms wide flips and tricks to avoid hails of gunfire.

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The gun-kata shit was still dumb.

They could of executed that a bit differently, emphasizing more on reloading speed, accuracy, and battle endurance/concentration, instead of ballerina arms wide flips and tricks to avoid hails of gunfire.
Yeah.... That part was kinda dumb, the worst element of that movie

Sterling

El Presidente
You can easily make this a trilogy; cover everything in Dune and Messiah and finish up with Children and then STOP. Full Stop. Because the fourth book, while great, is basically -nothing- like the previous ones. What was it, a 3000 year skip or something similar? I know Leto II mentions something to the effect that he doesn't have all that much longer left anyway (comparatively) before all the shit goes down on the way to the parade ground. It's great sci-fi but that is not going to sell well to a movie going audience, at all. It'll be even worse than Bladerunner 2049 audience numbers, even if the first three do really well.

God Emperor (and subsequent books) are just such extreme sci-fi that it's hard to make a movie that people will want to watch, unless you market them as just "and in Dune's Universe" or something.
Well, the first book is going to be 2 movies. Honestly, the further into the series you go the harder making movies out of the books will probably be. I love the books, but I think it'd likely be best if they just do the 2 movies and move on.

• 1Like

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider

I pretty much agree with this. Ideally, I’d do 2 movies for the first book, one movie for Dune messiah since it’s relatively short and then another 2 movie adaptation for Children of Dune. God Emperor would be very difficult to adapt to a movie as the story starts getting a bit more esoteric.

Sterling

El Presidente
I pretty much agree with this. Ideally, I’d do 2 movies for the first book, one movie for Dune messiah since it’s relatively short and then another 2 movie adaptation for Children of Dune. God Emperor would be very difficult to adapt to a movie as the story starts getting a bit more esoteric.
I feel like Denis Villeneuve is the glue that will hold this together and make it not suck. I doubt he'd do 5 movies even if the first 2 are successful.

• 2Like