Dune (2020)

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
the pictures LOOK awesome.

now show us it in MOTION! i liked the miniseries, i liked the movie(directors cut) it could be better, hopefully this is better.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think Villeneuve deserves enough credit to garner the benefit of the doubt here. No one was disappointed with Blade Runner 2049's screenplay and cinematography. When it comes to principal photography, score, sets, and overall visual quality regarding shots (tracking shots, long shots, etc,) he does a great job. So in terms of production value I dont think anyone should be skeptical, from what little we have seen, everything has looked sick.

The story and plot is the problem here. I can see a meandering, high brow presentation that features strange characters and stranger devices/tech. But will there be a satisfying payoff? Considering this is part 1 of 2, it could either be awesome leaving viewers wanting more, or an unsatisfying, confusing mess that leaves us scratching our heads.

He lost his way in BR2049 concerning a coherent, satisfying plot. So if there is any doubts it should be how dumb this could be, not how bad it will look.

• 2Garbage
  • 1WTF
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This looks like a fantastic movie that nobody is going to go watch.

• 1Great Review
  • 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
If Villeneuve directed an NC-17 documentary about Patton Oswalt's sex change, I'd still buy 3 copies.

• 4Worf
  • 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
This looks like a fantastic movie that nobody is going to go watch.

Best possible outcome, spares us a "dune universe" spitting out low quality sequels that inevitably ruins the name.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Blade Runner wasnt a disaster or anything, and some of the plot elements were interesting, but overall I dont feel like the movie was praised for anything besides its cinematography and visuals. Its just my opinion, but him tackling an IP like Dune....it can easily get away from him.

I dont think it will, I was just saying that if anything about this film is going to fail, it will be engaging the audience in a way where the average viewer is fully engaged and not lost.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I really liked the new blade runner. Dawdled a little too long on some things, but overall was enjoyable to me.

This looks pretty good. A nice change from all the shows that make me want to puke on first look.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Blade Runner wasnt a disaster or anything, and some of the plot elements were interesting, but overall I dont feel like the movie was praised for anything besides its cinematography and visuals. Its just my opinion, but him tackling an IP like Dune....it can easily get away from him.

I dont think it will, I was just saying that if anything about this film is going to fail, it will be engaging the audience in a way where the average viewer is fully engaged and not lost.
The average viewer gets moist at stuff like Infinity War and The Expendables. Fuck them, they have plenty to choose from. Kathryn Bigelow and Denis Villeneuve get automatic $$$ from me on every movie they make.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He lost his way in BR2049 concerning a coherent, satisfying plot. So if there is any doubts it should be how dumb this could be, not how bad it will look.

I don't think he lost his way, his project was all along both a continuation and a hommage to Scott's Blade Runner, which had a lot of versions and interpretations based on the original K. Dick material. If you think about it, consider both Scott's Final Cut and BR 2049 canon, they're both about a replicant hunting his own, becoming human from his experience while never being one.

Original BR is Deckard and Rachel on the flight, she dies, they have a child which is estranged to them. 2049 BR is K and Joi on the flight, she kinda dies, he's trying to save Deckard's child. I do think it's quite coherent and satisfying: we're being told a story, machines becoming human, we're being shown their journey from machine to human. It's coherent because both Deckard and K are mostly going through the same hurdles and satisfying because at the end, they both end up alone.

Jozu

I liked BR2049 overall, I just felt the Jared Leto character and a couple other elements were strange. Maybe I'm just retarded, which is the more likely of the two.

Either way im pumped as fuck for Dune and dont think we will be disappoint.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Well, they're engineered, right?

Genetically engineered. Doesn't make them a machine. They are fully organic. The only really artificial thing about them is their implanted memories. And those are still real memories, just someone else's.

Edit: Just wanted to add - This isn't intended to be a gotcha or ackshually, I just pointed it out because it's very important in the context of the question of whether replicants are "human" or not. They are literally manufactured humans. I have no idea why they are sociopaths though.

Last edited:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

giphy.gif

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users