Dune (2020)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
He talks with his mouth closed, like he's trying way too hard to be serious.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He is only the best young male actor working today.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Chalamet is a fucking boss you guys are idiots.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Great visuals indeed, but this will succeed or fail based on the actor playing Paul and I don't have a lot of faith in his acting ability from the trailer.

Go watch The King on netflix, he's a good actor.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

Every scene looked absolutely on point. Really excited for this. After Bladerunner, it seems obvious this guy was made to produce visual epics and so Dune should be right in his wheelhouse.

The only thing I would change is I'd rather this be a massive budget HBO series, rather than a single movie.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Jozu

I wonder what separates Villenueve from other directors when it comes to visuals. His cinematographer is usually a renowned one, perhaps he just works really well with his crew and articulates his vision efficiently.

Either way this looks exactly like what I was hoping for. Not one shot in that trailer looked stupid/poor.

The melee fighting with those shields looked sick, I wonder if the floating soldier dude was using weirding module?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

nu_11

The melee fighting with those shields looked sick, I wonder if the floating soldier dude was using weirding module?
Weirding modules are not a thing. Weirding way is what it is in the books and it’s not a piece of technology but a skill.

• 1Like
  • 1Great Review

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
The only thing I would change is I'd rather this be a massive budget HBO series, rather than a single movie.
I agree that an HBO series would've been better, but this is at least a two-part adaptation, not just a single film.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Great trailer. Chani is still jarringly unattractive. Aquaman is a little too aquaman. Other than that, all the casting looks awesome.

But more importantly. Assuming its not just trolling, I didnt realize there were people who didnt like Pink Floyd. What the fuck went wrong in your life that you can't appreciate Pink Floyd?

I am pretty sure thats just bait.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
........from one of the most overrated bands of all time.

1599745643937.png

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
The music is out of place with the theme and substance of the trailer/film. Pink Floyd as a band is fine; the usage of them for the trailer is questionable.

Edit -
Duncan doesn't play a major part in the first Dune book; his scenes are literally "Duncan has hung out with the Fremen; they would make good allies." and then "Duncan's drunk and trying to work up Jessica; shit may be afoot." And then "Duncan died saving us."

It's the later books where he comes to the forefront; the original he was barely a factor aside from an anecdote to describe why the Fremen don't insta-murder Paul.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Dunno. The general trend of spicing up / getting a short cut to setting a theme/mood in trailers with nostalgic/classic rock songs, whether it's Nirvana for Batman, Leonard Cohen for the Snyder Cut, now Pink Floyd, I guess going back to Johnny Cash's NIN cover for Logan and such, is getting tired more generally, just as having the "Inception-Bwong" in basically every other trailer for half a decade got really grating eventually.

That said, Pink Floyd worked fine for me for that trailer as far as those things go.

Jozu

Its amazing how much music can influence a scene.

Ill never forget the first time watching The Mattix in theaters when Neo and Trinity get in gunfight in the lobby and Spybreak drops. Epic.

There are other great examples out there I cant think of, but if done right music can elevate scenes or trailers quite a bit. Or it can detract from it, as some have mentioned here.

I thought they should have just used part of the original score *shrug*.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dune is another world and another universe. Using Pink Floyd kinda kills the mood/setting by pulling you back into our reality. Very questionable choice there... but whatever, it is a trailer.

• 12Like
Reactions: 11 users