Dune (2020)

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Careful what you wish for: it getting leaked sounds like a good way for the sequels to never get made.
With the way the movie industry is going, there's little chance of a sequel anyhow.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This virus is going to change how movies are distributed, but the other side of the coin is more people consuming digital media. So there is incentive to still create.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
didn't trolls 2 and some other movies prove out that vod net revenue for studios can actually be higher than theatrical releases?

do the studios plan on bailing out theaters, and at what cost? that part of the industry may not even exist (except for boutiques) in a year

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
For small movies like trolls and scoob. Sure, but not for big tent poles it seems.

I think it would be fine - but i'm sure they're too chicken shit to try it and the director is probably flipping shit because his art wouldn't be on the right medium. I don't blame em other than the fact that they have no fucking idea what's going to be happening in a year. Might as well extract as much money as you can, as soon as you can.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I think we would have seen this released digital had Mulan done better. Executives viewed Mulan as a tentpole movie for reasons that are completely unfathomable to me. Even if I wanted to see it, which I do not, its not like theres any level of FOMO associated with a movie like Mulan.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Was re-reading Dune in anticipation of this (hadn't read it in probably 10+ years) - Was crazy how much I'd forgotten.

After just reading it, I will say it's pretty astonishing how tight and compelling the first 2/3rds of the book are vs. the ending which to me was a little flat and rushed. About halfway through Messiah and the story beats and world building that made the original so good fall off a cliff imo. Still a decent read, but nothing like the first 80% of book 1.

Regardless, my disappointment with this being delayed an entire fucking year is immeasurable and I hope in that year every movie theater chain in this country goes belly up so Hollywood has to innovate their distribution models.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I think we would have seen this released digital had Mulan done better. Executives viewed Mulan as a tentpole movie for reasons that are completely unfathomable to me. Even if I wanted to see it, which I do not, its not like theres any level of FOMO associated with a movie like Mulan.
I don't know a single person who watched Mulan even though it was essentially free. These movie studio execs are complete imbeciles

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I don't know a single person who watched Mulan even though it was essentially free. These movie studio execs are complete imbeciles
Because they are all run by a bunch of jewish fossils that are completely technophobic.

spronk

FPS noob

i know a bunch of families who paid $30 for it on D+ ("pirating" movies is something i dont think most people do so not sure why you think its free) and had kids movie parties and stuff. Besides, Warner Bros wouldn't get any info from Disney on how well Mulan did, their barometer was Tenet which did pretty terrible considering it was 4+ months of NOTHING and then ONLY Tenet in theaters for a few weeks.

Disney is dropping Soul on D+ on Xmas Day and has delayed Black Widow so i dunno what it really means, when Spring 2021 rolls around theres gonna be like 40 huge blockbusters ready to blow and its not really possible for all of them to hit theaters.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Not sure if it has been talked about yet, but I would expect the movie to be "Hollywoodified" compared to the book. For example, I'll bet that in the movie, Chari becomes Paul's true wife instead of a concubine.

Still excited for the movie though, the worm looks totally dope and the delay means that the VFX for some of the more questionable things (like the shields) can be changed before release.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
... utopian government will eventually become corrupt by necessity, because they will have to constantly defend their ability to continue to do good things, and the only way to do that is to increasingly expand their power to eliminate political opposition.

LOL, ability to do good things...This is why utopia never existed and never will, because humans are fucking evil at their core, selfish, greedy, jealous mo-fos and this is why ultimately governments go corrupt not because of what you said.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
LOL, ability to do good things...This is why utopia never existed and never will, because humans are fucking evil at their core, selfish, greedy, jealous mo-fos and this is why ultimately governments go corrupt not because of what you said.
1602535767066.png

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Mulan cost $30 on top of D+
For some reason I though it was free on D+, more fool me for not anticipating the greed and retardation displayed by movie studios. I have a ton of friends with little kids/girls in the age range this was made for and not a one has bothered to watch nor is there any interest from the kiddos. My own kiddos included

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My kids loved it so, idk. It's typical disney remake shit, it isn't good or anything, is what it is. Definitely worth the 30 bucks over going to a theater.