Dune (2020)

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Not really sure how faithful you can really get with this franchise. Especially if they end up doing some of the other books at some point.
Anything past the first one, I don't really see them taking a shot on. Shit I'd love to see it, but in this world? People would freak out.

Sterling

El Presidente
Anything past the first one, I don't really see them taking a shot on. Shit I'd love to see it, but in this world? People would freak out.
But we need a "The Adventures of Duncan Idaho and the Fish Speakers" series.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Why not? Hollywood would just retcon everything and change storylines as they choose.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
the spice extends life
the spice expands consciousness
the spice cuts your dick off
-Prince Irulan, nonbinary

• 4Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 4 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The fact that they keep pushing it back after it's been ready to go for so long makes me think it's going to be bad
the spice extends life
the spice expands consciousness
the spice cuts your dick off
-Prince Irulan, nonbinary
The spice hopefully allows this to bomb
catastrophically and Dune is forever protected.

• 1Solidarity

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Still holding my breath on this one. Casting choices are worrisome.
Are they? I haven't been following the thread too much. I like Paul & Duke Leto. Not sure about Duncan Idaho because I haven't seen Momoa in anything other than GOT, so no idea.

Stellan Skarsgard as the Baron is the only casting choice I don't really like, out of those that I've seen and know who the actors are.

spronk

FPS noob
i think it'll be ok but its budget is $165m which means its gonna have to make at least $400m ww to be considered profitable and there is zero chance of that happening. The movie won't even cover all of book 1.

it'll get stuck in that weird hell of it did ok enough to do more, but not so well that everyone wants to make another movie. And its been over 2 years now since the first movie wrapped production. At best I'm hoping it leads to yet another reboot in a few years of an HBO max or Netflix or Amazon Dune series, which wants to go deep into the rabbit hole.

the only real interesting question at this point is what cliffhanger does the movie end on - exile, spice awakening, shield wall, or something else?

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Lady Jessica casting choice retarded. Needed an older Italian/Mediterranean type woman with dark hair.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Lady Jessica casting choice retarded. Needed an older Italian/Mediterranean type woman with dark hair.
Jessica Chastain?

You shut your whore mouth. I'd be fine if they cast Chastain as Lady Jessica, James Bond, Heimdall or Thor Himself.

• 1Solidarity

Brad2770

DAE0D332-4042-4F5C-956E-465DD810C305.jpeg

• 3Worf
  • 3Barf
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 7 users

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Are they? I haven't been following the thread too much. I like Paul & Duke Leto. Not sure about Duncan Idaho because I haven't seen Momoa in anything other than GOT, so no idea.

Stellan Skarsgard as the Baron is the only casting choice I don't really like, out of those that I've seen and know who the actors are.
Paul casting is okay for young paul. But I can't imagine Timothee Chalameet as old Paul.

Duke Leto is supposed to be tall and imposing. Oscar Isaac is not tall.

Liet Kynes is supposed to be white male. Could maybe be a white female, I guess. The whole point of Kynes is that he goes native. This is like casting Dances With Wolves with a black female lead.

Duncan Idaho is not a loud mouth dude-bro that Mamoa usually plays. Idaho is like a stoic samurai.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Paul casting is okay for young paul. But I can't imagine Timothee Chalameet as old Paul.

Duke Leto is supposed to be tall and imposing. Oscar Isaac is not tall.

Liet Kynes is supposed to be white male. Could maybe be a white female, I guess. The whole point of Kynes is that he goes native. This is like casting Dances With Wolves with a black female lead.

Duncan Idaho is not a loud mouth dude-bro that Mamoa usually plays. Idaho is like a stoic samurai.
Hollywood almost never gives a shit about character height... Jack reacher lol

Sterling

El Presidente
Villeneuve has done awesome work. Going into Bladerunner 2049 I wasn't particularly enthused about the cast but that movie is amazing.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This version was a better casting choice IMO.

Attachments

• Lady-Jessica-in-Dune-movie-80s.jpg
    Lady-Jessica-in-Dune-movie-80s.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 3Like
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 3 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Liet Kyne is supposed to be white male.

Sure bout that? Cause I’m pretty sure it was never covered, but the story implies very heavily he’s probably Arabic in descent.

• 1WTF

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sure bout that? Cause I’m pretty sure it was never covered, but the story implies very heavily he’s probably Arabic in descent.
I don’t recall the book specifying a race. But books are different than movies where appearances can be used to greater effect. The point of making him white in film is to reinforce that Kynes represents the western ways of thinking to the audience without needing to state it explicitly in some hamfisted dialogue/narration.

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Father of Chani
https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Liet_Kynes said:
Kynes was a tall, thin man with long, sandy hair, a sparse but mussed mustache and beard and under heavy brows, eyes that were fathomless blue-within-blue.

His father:
https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Pardot_Kynes said:
Pardot Kynes was an Imperial Planetologistwho studied Arrakis. He remained there and married a native Fremen woman, with whom he had his only child, Liet Kynes.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think you guys are over thinking this a bit. I think Rebecca Ferguson is a fine choice given that she has pretty good acting chops. She lacks the height and dark hair but hair dye is a thing. Of all the things to complain about when it comes to the casting, she is not one.

1626734467091.png

Now if you want to complain about Zendaya as Chane, then that has a little more merit. Honestly though, I will wait for the movie before critiquing the actors.

Just a reminder when it comes to choices for casting

1626735061316.png

There is no fucking way that this man could play the Joker.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users