Dune (2020)

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Shit looks fucking SEXY.

The cinematography, sets, costumes, actors, direction....all S tier. The writing is legendary in Frank Herbert. This cant fail can it?

And Im sick of hearing about Zendaya. She is actually a talented actor, she is pretty amazing in Euphoria. Im not worried about her performance.

Lady Jessica had literally 3 shots in the entire trailer. And her face was obscured in one of them. Im still torn on Ferguson....she IS a good actor, I just.... cant see her as Chalamet's mother..... Oscar Isaac as dad is a little off putting as well, but he pulls it off, with the grey and stoic demeanor. They didnt do the same for Ferguson, like she looks like a 30 something Maybeline model. How old is Paul in the first book? His mother should be at least 42 or something.

Outside of that, I have to say the trailer is everything I expected and more. Im more hype for this movie than I have been in....a LONG time. I cant even remember the last time I was so pumped to see a release.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Paul is 15/16 in the first part of the book. I thought that part of the justification for the division into two nominal halves was to let Chalamet age a tick before jumping into the second half as some not insignificant time should pass for the Fremen rebellion before the conclusion.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
one big problem too is that Legendary Pictures, the guys who own this movie are currently owned by a chinese company (Wanda) and are looking to sell themselves to a western buyer, as China has a fairly new rule of "no money leaving China anymore".

So Legendary would have to get sold and the new buyer decide that a new Dune sequel is worth making and untangle the HBO/WB distribution deal, likely that is all going to take years. The most likely buyers are also people who want to add to their streaming library, and don't really give a shit about theaters. Amazon bought MGM recently which is spurring on deals.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Paul is 15/16 in the first part of the book. I thought that part of the justification for the division into two nominal halves was to let Chalamet age a tick before jumping into the second half as some not insignificant time should pass for the Fremen rebellion before the conclusion.
I doubt Chalamet will age noticeably until he’s like 40. Dude will be babyface for awhile.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
this is still a thing
The show was ordered straight-to-series at HBO Max in June 2019. Set in the universe of Frank Herbert’s epic “Dune” novel series, “Dune: The Sisterhood” is told through the eyes of a mysterious order of women known as the Bene Gesserit. Given extraordinary abilities by their mastery of the body and the mind, the Bene Gesserit expertly weave through the feudal politics and intrigue of The Imperium, pursuing plans of their own that will ultimately lead them to the enigmatic planet Arrakis, known to its inhabitants as Dune. It will serve as a prequel to the films.

Denis Villeneuve is still attached to direct the pilot for the series. Along with Spaihts, Villeneuve, Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert for the Frank Herbert estate will executive produce along with Scott Z. Burns. Kevin J. Anderson will co-produce. The series hails from Legendary Television, with Legendary also producing the upcoming film reboot.

a prequel show about the Butlerian Jihad woulda been much cooler and coulda still been about strong woman because Serena Butler was the catalyst for the jihad

• 1Clown World
  • 1Solidarity

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
this is still a thing
The show was ordered straight-to-series at HBO Max in June 2019. Set in the universe of Frank Herbert’s epic “Dune” novel series, “Dune: The Sisterhood” is told through the eyes of a mysterious order of women known as the Bene Gesserit. Given extraordinary abilities by their mastery of the body and the mind, the Bene Gesserit expertly weave through the feudal politics and intrigue of The Imperium, pursuing plans of their own that will ultimately lead them to the enigmatic planet Arrakis, known to its inhabitants as Dune. It will serve as a prequel to the films.

Denis Villeneuve is still attached to direct the pilot for the series. Along with Spaihts, Villeneuve, Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert for the Frank Herbert estate will executive produce along with Scott Z. Burns. Kevin J. Anderson will co-produce. The series hails from Legendary Television, with Legendary also producing the upcoming film reboot.

a prequel show about the Butlerian Jihad woulda been much cooler and coulda still been about strong woman because Serena Butler was the catalyst for the jihad
The goal of the “strong women” is to create the ultimate male human. Ironic.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The goal of the “strong women” is to create the ultimate male human. Ironic.
Yeah no way in hell that whole idea doesnt get utterly butchered.
And Im sick of hearing about Zendaya. She is actually a talented actor, she is pretty amazing in Euphoria. Im not worried about her performance.
Its not about her specifically as an actress. Its about going out of your way to stray from the source material to fit in modern retarded SJW politics.

• 2Like

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
No one is worried about her performance. there is absolutely nothing wrong with Zendaya at all. She is a great actress. The issue people are concerned about, and rightly so, is that BECAUSE they cast Zendaya, this will be far more Chani centric.

A foreshadowing of this being her VO in the planet.

People are hoping this isn’t the case.

and before people start with the woke, SJW shit, go watch The Expanse and see some brilliantly written and developed female leads. I have Zero issue with strong women in cinema. I do have an issue when we take a great novel, and decide to rewrite the source to fit a narrative on the screen. Lady Jessica and Paul should be front and center, and Chnai is pretty much a minor character in the book.

• 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A foreshadowing of this being her VO in the planet.

I just took that as being an extension of her talking to Paul in his dreams.

Who knows, had Sean Young not been so batshit crazy she might have had more screen time.

As long as the 2021 version doesn't include this scene then I'll be happy.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Lady Jessica and Paul should be front and center, and Chnai is pretty much a minor character in the book.

That is one of the things that bugged me. Chani's main importance is being important to Paul, not because she does much.

• 2Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
What the fuck people.

The problem with this casting choice has nothing to do with Chani's role (which is solely as Paul's love interest, nothing more)

It definitely has nothing to do with her acting skills. "acting skills". Who gives an actual fuck, "acting skills" is the kind of shit blue haired art fags talk about.

The problem with Chani's casting is that the fucking Fremen arent black.

When they change basic, obvious aspects of characters in casting it is a 100% guaranteed sign they are throwing away the source material and making woke bullshit instead.

Trailer looked great, cant wait for the movie, but lets cut the bullshit.

• 2Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>

You lost me there. I could care less, black or white. No issue with that whatsoever. Just dont want to see them girlpower Dune.

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
There is no specific skin colour mentioned in the book regarding Fremen, except leathery and tanned from the sun. For all we know, they could be bright pink. But going with something vaguely middle eastern, jesus-coloured would seem to fit some other themes Herbert uses with them.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
What the fuck people.

The problem with this casting choice has nothing to do with Chani's role (which is solely as Paul's love interest, nothing more)

It definitely has nothing to do with her acting skills. "acting skills". Who gives an actual fuck, "acting skills" is the kind of shit blue haired art fags talk about.

When they change basic, obvious aspects of characters in casting it is a 100% guaranteed sign they are throwing away the source material and making woke bullshit instead.

Trailer looked great, cant wait for the movie, but lets cut the bullshit.

There is no specific skin colour mentioned in the book regarding Fremen, except leathery and tanned from the sun. For all we know, they could be bright pink. But going with something vaguely middle eastern, jesus-coloured would seem to fit some other themes Herbert uses with them.

Aldarion, the Fremen had been on a desert planet for thousands of years. Zweischneid is right in that they would have evolved into something akin to what our desert people look like which is brown. Zendaya is brown. What is the fucking problem here?

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Whats the problem? Do you people not visualize characters while reading or something?

Chani Kynes - skinny redhead

“…and a girl there—very skinny with big eyes. Her eyes are all blue, no whites in them.” Paul describing his dreams of Chani, from chapter 1 of Dune.

“...he saw an elfin face, black pits of eyes.” Paul seeing Chani for the first time. From chapter 2 of Dune.

“There was Chani’s red hair...” Description of Ghanima, from Children of Dune.

“She had a full head of tawny red hair.” Paul describing newborn Ghanima, from Dune Messiah.

Not one single Fremen is ever described as anything resembling African.

I get why the blue haired SJWs defend this. I don't get why you guys do. This shit is not subtle. The red haired love interest of the white male protagonist turns into a black girl. Always.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
if you're going to have an issue with racial casting, it should be Liet. Chani casting makes sense when you see the Liet casting.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
skinny redhead

skinny-redhead.jpg

Last edited: