Dune (2020)

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Honestly dont give a shit Chani is black. She's just not a front-and-center character.

Princess Irulan should be the narrator because she's the historian. That was something that Dune 1984 did right.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
if you're going to have an issue with racial casting, it should be Liet. Chani casting makes sense when you see the Liet casting.
Right, once they cast a dindu to play Liet they didn't really have much of a choice with the casting for Liet's daughter.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Honestly dont give a shit Chani is black. She's just not a front-and-center character.

Princess Irulan should be the narrator because she's the historian. That was something that Dune 1984 did right.

Is the Emperor or Princess Irulan even in the movie? I can't see them credited on IMDB.

No Feyd either.

Concerned now this is just going to end suddenly at some random point.

nu_11

Is the Emperor or Princess Irulan even in the movie? I can't see them credited on IMDB.
I dont think Irulan is in the 2021 movie. I dont think any Corrinos are in. At least from what we know right now. They could be a surprise.

I think the trailer implies that Harkonnen troops are great fighters. But, in the book, the Atreides fighters are better and the Saudakar are the best.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider

No Feyd either.

Concerned now this is just going to end suddenly at some random point.

It doesnt look like the Emperor is in the movie or Princess Irulan are in the movie.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
bleh ...

protag looks like a twig, shouldn't be huge, but Paul was trained to be mentat since he was a child is described as lean and sinewy, a gust of wind will blow the protag over, and the hair cut...far to much attention to appearance, basically emo.

Oh well, hope it will be good regardless

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Or Chani's fremen mother could've been black with Liet being white.

The problem with all this race swapping retconning is there's already a long backstory on the fremen

fremen are supposed to be egyptians (who are not black)

The only certainty is that the Wandering Zensunni have originated on Earth (with Nilotic al-Ourouba more likely than not being the Nile Valley), like all other humans.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Jesus Christ, we are talking about the far flung future where Humanity has reached the stars. The assumption is that, unless stated definitively in the text, that egalitarianism won and the new wars were between whole planets of people instead of smaller units. I am a realist on what is going on in Hollywood with their re-imagining of stories with regards to race; but here, in the future, where it logically makes sense? That was one of the things that made science fiction seem better than than the present.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Jesus Christ, we are talking about the far flung future where Humanity has reached the stars. The assumption is that, unless stated definitively in the text, that egalitarianism won and the new wars were between whole planets of people instead of smaller units. I am a realist on what is going on in Hollywood with their re-imagining of stories with regards to race; but here, in the future, where it logically makes sense? That was one of the things that made science fiction seem better than than the present.
The fremen are pretty much explicitly in the text of middle eastern descent, and more importantly they are a very long term mostly gentically isolated enclave that has been running from oppression/persecution for thousands of years by going to more and more isolated planets. Making them diverse is counter to their story. On the flip side, both Harkonnen and Atreides sides are portrayed as being diverse and what not.

I don't care what part of middle east you pick people from, as that's never strictly covered, but the fremen should definitely be less diverse than other groups if you want to tell the story like it's written. That said, it doesn't bother me much. Now if they cast a woman as a Tlelaxu... that's pretty much a riot worthy mistake.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If youre idea of the future is one where humanity has homogenized into more or less one ethnicity, it wouldnt look anything like the actress cast as Liet.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
this is still a thing
The show was ordered straight-to-series at HBO Max in June 2019. Set in the universe of Frank Herbert’s epic “Dune” novel series, “Dune: The Sisterhood” is told through the eyes of a mysterious order of women known as the Bene Gesserit. Given extraordinary abilities by their mastery of the body and the mind, the Bene Gesserit expertly weave through the feudal politics and intrigue of The Imperium, pursuing plans of their own that will ultimately lead them to the enigmatic planet Arrakis, known to its inhabitants as Dune. It will serve as a prequel to the films.

Denis Villeneuve is still attached to direct the pilot for the series. Along with Spaihts, Villeneuve, Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert for the Frank Herbert estate will executive produce along with Scott Z. Burns. Kevin J. Anderson will co-produce. The series hails from Legendary Television, with Legendary also producing the upcoming film reboot.

a prequel show about the Butlerian Jihad woulda been much cooler and coulda still been about strong woman because Serena Butler was the catalyst for the jihad
seinfeld-leaving.gif

As for the movie, what little hope I had for a faithful adaptation is gone. Hopefully it's not as bad as 'weirding modules' from the utterly terrible 1984 version, but I'm skeptical. Are they really not featuring the Corrino's whatsoever? What a fucking joke. That's part of what makes the first Dune book so good, is unravelling who the bad guys really are. Is it the Harkonnens? They have their motivations, but are they merely pawns of the Padishah Emperor? Is it the Corrinos? Or are they merely pawns of the Bene Gesserit sisterhood? Is it the Bene Gesserit? Or are they merely acting to keep the Spacing Guild from controlling everything too tightly? Are the Atreides even really the good guys? Pretty much yes, but a strong argument could be made that they aren't as well, given what the rise of Paul Atreides precipitates.

Assuming the Corrinos are removed and all of the focus is put on the Harkonnens as bad evil ridiculously pale 2 dimensional villains which appears to be the case for at least this first installment, that really speaks to how the narrative has been gutted to appeal to the 90 IQ film masses. Which is a travesty IMO.

And for the record, I have no idea why anyone thinks Villaneuve is anything but a hack who should have no responsibilities above cinematography. BR 2049 was pretty nonsense unworthy of the title/IP, Sicario was mediocre at best and carried by Del Toro, and I didn't see the Arrival because I can't be bothered to see a remake of a semi-decent Charlie Sheen movie featuring backward-legged aliens.

• 2Edgelord
  • 2Like
  • 1SchwarzeNeg
Reactions: 5 users

nu_11

The problem with all this race swapping retconning is there's already a long backstory on the fremen

fremen are supposed to be egyptians (who are not black)
The truth is that Herbert was heavily influenced by Native Americans and part of Fremen culture is Native American.

Herbert smashed together many cultures to create many of societies in Dune. So I don’t really care if some Fremen are black or white or brown.

What I care about is maintaining many themes of Dune. Dune is partly Greek tragedy. Atreides have aquiline nose and are descendants of Agamemnon. Liet Kynes represents western culture. Who’s Duncan. Who’s Gurney.

That’s another thing. Herbert’s Gurney is jovial who sings and plays the baliset in the beginning. But in the 2021 trailer Gurney is stern and makes a joke about smiling while not smiling. That doesn’t sound like Gurney. I imagine Gurney is more like how Momoa plays Duncan joking with Paul.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users