Dune (2020)

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure there's a 3D version of it, but if you have a choice I'd go 2D as the visuals are amazing and in my experience 3D tends to make the image darker and a little blurrier, which would be a shame.
I hate 3d when it's gimmicky crap like most movies. Shit all over prometheus for everything else, but god damn those visuals in 3D were something else. So if the 3D is on point ambiance, I might prefer that.

gLobal

Trakanon Raider
I hate 3d when it's gimmicky crap like most movies. Shit all over prometheus for everything else, but god damn those visuals in 3D were something else. So if the 3D is on point ambiance, I might prefer that.
Agree. I think 3D is best when used more for depth/scale. The first good use I can remember was Avatar's 3D .

I liked the novelty of things 'popping out' of the screen/page when I was a kid, but now it just seems like a distraction (gimmick like you said).

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Agree. I think 3D is best when used more for depth/scale. The first good use I can remember was Avatar's 3D .

I liked the novelty of things 'popping out' of the screen/page when I was a kid, but now it just seems like a distraction (gimmick like you said).
Pretty much the only movies I remember being good with 3d were Avatar, tron, and prometheus, and I've seen a lot more of them than that. Was just hoping for some opinions one way or the other. Guess I'm risking a bad 3d experience. Free beer to anyone who wants to risk the same in Essen.

Goatface

1632146400082.png

don't know if really good or not, seems ok from just checking out a few others.

1632147024195.png
1632147101481.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pretty much the only movies I remember being good with 3d were Avatar, tron, and prometheus, and I've seen a lot more of them than that. Was just hoping for some opinions one way or the other. Guess I'm risking a bad 3d experience. Free beer to anyone who wants to risk the same in Essen.
Dredd

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 8 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It's Dredd, you fucking turds. And Dredd is one of the only movies where 3D actually enhanced most aspects of that film. It worked perfectly for the drug in the film.

• 7Worf
  • 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 11 users

spronk

FPS noob
Dune and James Bond have been approved for a china release by the chinese govt, which pretty much means China is REALLY snubbing Disney having blocked Black Widow, Shang Chi, and possibly Eternals. The mouse really pissed off winnie the pooh

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Dune and James Bond have been approved for a china release by the chinese govt, which pretty much means China is REALLY snubbing Disney having blocked Black Widow, Shang Chi, and possibly Eternals. The mouse really pissed off winnie the pooh

I assume watching white and brown people fuck each other's shit up is a fun spectacle for chinese people.

This is however good news for those hoping to see a sequel to Dune, the extra revenue from this chinese release will probably convince the studio to greenlight the sequel.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It's Dredd, you fucking turds. And Dredd is one of the only movies where 3D actually enhanced most aspects of that film. It worked perfectly for the drug in the film.
Still the best movie experience I’ve had in 3D and the best movie I’ve watched in the theater since 2012. Amazing 3D and one of the greatest Sci fi action movies ever. You nailed my original review from almost a decade ago in the…

Dredd Thread.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 4 users

spronk

FPS noob
depends on what you expect. Fast and Furious 8 did $500m opening weekend worldwide. So compared to that, no, $36m is utter shit since WB will see less than $20m of that money, and a LOT of movies are gonna start opening up soon that won't let Dune get bigger. On the other hand the biggest 2021 weekend opening is like $160m worldwide, so $36m without USA is maybe ok?

I think there is pretty much no way WB turns a profit on Dune for a while, budget was $165m so it'd have to pull over $400m worldwide (incl USA) to be profitable and thats unlikely at this point even with China. However if a ton of people sub to HBO Max on the weekend it opens, and it has good WOM then maybe WB thinks its an IP worth sticking with.

There is also a bene gesserit TV show in pre-production, but its not much more than an idea right now with no scripts and not much beyond a showrunner (2nd one, first quit).

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
depends on what you expect. Fast and Furious 8 did $500m opening weekend worldwide. So compared to that, no, $36m is utter shit since WB will see less than $20m of that money, and a LOT of movies are gonna start opening up soon that won't let Dune get bigger. On the other hand the biggest 2021 weekend opening is like $160m worldwide, so $36m without USA is maybe ok?

I think there is pretty much no way WB turns a profit on Dune for a while, budget was $165m so it'd have to pull over $400m worldwide (incl USA) to be profitable and thats unlikely at this point even with China. However if a ton of people sub to HBO Max on the weekend it opens, and it has good WOM then maybe WB thinks its an IP worth sticking with.

There is also a bene gesserit TV show in pre-production, but its not much more than an idea right now with no scripts and not much beyond a showrunner (2nd one, first quit).
Well, I think it's only opened in France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Hong Kong and like Norway or some shit so far - so of course it's not going to do $500mm the first weekend. Screenrant or whatever was saying $300-330mm should make it profitable with it's marketing budget, and $400 would make it very profitable.

I could see it sneaking up to the high $200s-mid $300s, then hopefully the attention from HBO Max pushes it to a sequel. After that, I could not give a shit with what happens to theaters or Hollywood.