Dune (2020)

spronk

FPS noob
fuck you europeans, why do freedom and gun lovers have to wait until Oct 22

makes one want to declare jihad

i did watch the "Dune (1984) Alternative Edition Redux [fanedit][MKV-FLAC-SUBS]" v3 this weekend, which is a fan edit of the Lynch movie that clocks in at 2h58m. Its still really... really... terrible. I enjoyed it, but man its so weird. For all the race-talk in this thread, its pretty hilarious watching that movie and seeing a bunch of desert Fremen who look like fucking Norse vikings declare jihad on the universe. It does have some nice fan art

Dune-Alt-Edition-Redux-cover-B.jpg

I'm looking forward to rewatching the TV series (both it and Children of Dune), i vaguely recall that being a lot better

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
fuck you europeans, why do freedom and gun lovers have to wait until Oct 22
If I go in my euro theater and it's a voice over... I'm gonna flip the fuck out if I have to listen to french people quacking for 3 hours.

• 5Worf

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
What the hell is up with that shit. Why do countries with negligible impact on sales get the movie first? Is this there way of drumming up hype?

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
If I go in my euro theater and it's a voice over... I'm gonna flip the fuck out if I have to listen to french people quacking for 3 hours.

Friends and me specifically picked a theater other then the big one in town, since that one would have both Dutch and French subtitles rolling.

Only this is worse:

• 3Worf
  • 1WTF
  • 1Salty

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Just want to call this out here before the movie comes out, I really, really, really want this movie to be great. I wont be looking for a reason to nit pick. I am ok with some deviation from the source material (I get it, no film can be 1:1 with the book). My sole ask is that they don't make this gender biased empowerment ala Ghostbusters. Strong female characters, yes! Woke BS and Mary Sue's, no!

Lastly, if it is good, please god be successful enough to get the funds needed for a proper sequel and get all the actors back.

• 2Like
  • 1Garbage

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Rustled

Izo

Tranny Chaser
7+1/10. It’s Dune. What a relief. Didn’t hate it. But it’s not going to be a commercial success. Sad.
Gone are the gross parts of heartplugs, and near violation of Jessica. It’s clean, sterile, but nut dumb. Hello to diversity, but nothing terrible. Desert people are desert people. Atreides are Scottish, white. Harkonnen are brutal, scary, but not idiotic. Sardaucar can now fly, but are awesome Noone is clasically beautiful though, sad. Chani has a big nose. Jessica is flat chested and sorta boring, like a redhead. And one central male is now female, but it‘s alright, didn’t matter. The usual suspects, Duncan, Gurney et al are fine, not forced. Doctor traitor is okay. A few parts and lines are verbatim from the book, didn’t feel forced, and some important mantras are expanded.. Some events are handled differently than the 1984 book, they complement each other great, surprises. The voiceovers are nothing to write home about, but not overly idiotic or patronizing. Except the BG on KH/Paul/mesiah, was a bit annoying but okay, it’s the story. Tolerable. Not many time wasting moments, great. The ones there are, are scenic, beautiful, magnificient. And some sand storm bs. But it’s forgiven, it‘s Dune. The worms are sucky, but big and brutal. Loved the classic ‘damn the spice’ scene, was good. I was thoroughly entertained, happy, didn’t hate it. Didn’t replace the 1984 or fan/alternate edits. But it’s very well done. And, oh, the friggen ornithopters are finally like they should be. It ends at the predictable spot, but it’s done well, felt complete on it’s own. I’m looking forward to part 2. Hoping it wont get cancelled.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

spronk

FPS noob

sets look neat, i don't really like the costumes the Bene Geneserrit's look weird

baron looks neat though

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Bleah, for a hot minute there, my country, Romania, got movies faster that USA in cinemas.
But now, we are excluded. For fucks sake, the Middle East will see Dune faster than some countries in Eastern Europe.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
Bleah, for a hot minute there, my country, Romania, got movies faster that USA in cinemas.
But now, we are excluded. For fucks sake, the Middle East will see Dune faster than some countries in Eastern Europe.

yeah but you have some hot slutty women to make up for it

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Saw it today, in the theater. Very very enjoyable experience, the sound was amazing, the photography is amazing, but that's the usual for Villeneuve. I thought the movie was great, it took its time to develop characters properly and lets you enjoy the sheer huge scope of the universe it depicts.

I can only recommend you go watch it if you like Dune, and cross our collective fingers that Part 2 gets made someday.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
The best things for me were the visuals and the pacing of the film. Casting was good also.

I fear it will do badly though, this was one of the first showings locally on a Friday evening and at best 20% of the theater was filled.

Go see it in a theater.

• 5Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 5 users

Argarth

On the verandah
December 2 in Australia. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCKING FUCK!
(Nasty recent covid outbreaks in the two $largest$ states) :emoji_sob:

• 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 user