Dune (2020)

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, I've just got the 1984 movie tie in one. I still use the d8s from it.

I heard the one from the 70's was quite good. Now that they're reissuing it I might pick it up.
The 70's version sounds about right for the one we played.

Sterling

El Presidente
Do you also own a playset of the Dune Collectible Card Game?
I did have the starter thing with a deck of every faction and a bunch of random cards, but I didn't really have an exhaustive collection because I couldn't drum up enough local interest in playing. People probably upset after the Decipher Star Wars CCG and Middle Earth went tits up.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Also, putting an actual money market in the game probably turned some people off :)

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Sounds like they managed to not SJW this thing to ruins or insert a bunch of corny nuMarvel "humor". Wow.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Haven’t read the article. Don’t plan on it frankly.

But the last paragraph of the actual damn book is all about the power of women and the keys they hold because they are the sex that gives birth. It’s literally about how women are built in cock blocks and QC for the species.

Women were pretty damn empowered in Dune other than the obvious women not in an open battlefield.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Haven’t read the article. Don’t plan on it frankly.

But the last paragraph of the actual damn book is all about the power of women and the keys they hold because they are the sex that gives birth. It’s literally about how women are built in cock blocks and QC for the species.

Women were pretty damn empowered in Dune other than the obvious women not in an open battlefield.
That's actually specifically what the article is about, how empowered that women are in general in the novel, and specifically adding more screen time for Lady Jessica than was in the novel, due to her overall importance and competence, being all of Queen, bodyguard, mentor, teacher, fighter, etc.

So not really manufacturing anything new out of whole cloth, just emphasizing what was already there.

Onigen

Golden Knight of the Realm
I read the books over a decade ago so don't really remember them 100% but to my eyes all they did was perhaps add some lines for her and show her a little more in scenes she was supposed to be in anyways, just not as an active participant. Just one particular scene jumped as being weird.

During Pauls Gom Jabbar, the movie kept jumping to Jessica outside the room worrying about her son. Iirc it was Paul who recited the Litany during the test, in the movie it was Jessica.
Otherwise the scene was pretty damn great, the stink eye Paul gave the Reverend Mother afterwards was just perfect and promising things to come.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
/shrug

Plenty of movies do that. Battles for Helm's Deep and Pelennor Fields in LoTR are barely a handful of pages. Maybe 1-2% of the page count of their respective books at best.

In the movies, they take up huge chunks of the run-time, being elaborated out.

• 1Like

Szlia

The Gom Jabbar scene is one of the few I prefer in Lynch's version,
because the Reverend Mother talks during the scene and ultimately it feels like the box does nothing and that the pain only comes from her describing the pain. This theme of the power of words is more developed in the Lynch film notably with the addition of the weirdling modules.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The Gom Jabbar scene is one of the few I prefer in Lynch's version,
because the Reverend Mother talks during the scene and ultimately it feels like the box does nothing and that the pain only comes from her describing the pain. This theme of the power of words is more developed in the Lynch film notably with the addition of the weirdling modules.
I don't agree. The weirdling modules were beyond stupid and the voice was handled very poorly in the lynch version. The exposition about it early in this movie sets it up well and I think it's handled much better generally. Specifically when the reverend mother uses the voice is imo a pretty good way to translate it to screen.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff

Just going to leave this here

And here I thought diversity chani was barely in the movie.

I never read the books and I've watched all the trailers and it didn't look to me like Zendaya was going to be a huge thing. Looked like Twiggothy Chalamet and then there was also Zendaya maybe.

"Zendaya, who is planned to be the main character in Dune 2..."

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I never watched the original movie and am finally doing it now. Wow this is rough to get through. I like Lynch but damn, no way this was well received when it came out.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
I never watched the original movie and am finally doing it now. Wow this is rough to get through. I like Lynch but damn, no way this was well received when it came out.
Definitely was a mixed bag at the time and as time went on. It has some good stuff going for it, but it's a hot mess in a lot of ways.

• 1Solidarity

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Finally watching the Syfy Dune series' in between work meetings. At this pace I should be done right before the movie releases...

• 1Like