Dune (2020)

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Am I the only one who really enjoys Messiah and Children? I loved that part of the series.

• 4Like
  • 1Garbage
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

spronk

FPS noob
I loved the parts where they delved into the rest of the universe and built out the Tlelaxu, Navigators, Spacing Guild, the trading stuff, etc. The actual Leto/Ghanima stuff I didn't find very interesting in Messiah/Children. I also found a lot of the stuff about the blind prophet (no spoilers) kinda confusing, even knowing what happens at the end. I also vaguely recall finding Pauls sister a pretty annoying character.

God Emperor of Dune though is probably one of my favorite books, I hope some day there is some sort of good TV show around it. I don't think the mini series really covered it

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Awd3.gif

...and the evil harkonnen

why were they evil again?

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There is always going to be some dumb cuck cunt or soy fag who has some ridiculous shit to say in order to stay relevant in his/her pathetic circle of pot bellied vampire goblin friends/peers. Fuck what anyone says this movie is going to be awesome and it looks awesome.

• 3Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 3 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Spaceballs has a better plot than 7/9ths of the main Star Wars movies.

That's absurd. Anyone who knows anything about science knows that going into plaid won't destroy the emperor's ship.

23.gif

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I watched the 1984 movie last night, and I'm surprised they are remaking it. The movie was mediocre at best. I really hope they make major changes to the script.

• 7Seriously?
  • 4Pathetic
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 17 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
God Emperor of Dune is the story itself. The first 3 books are prologue and the last two are epilogue.

I cant imagine stopping after Dune, it'd be like stopping partway through the Hobbit and saying "I'm good, thats enough of the story".

No, it would be like reading the whole hobbit and saying that was enough...which it could be, since the Hobbit was a self contained, satisfying story--just like Dune. In fact, that's a crazy good comparison.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
No, it would be like reading the whole hobbit and saying that was enough...which is could be, since the Hobbit was a self contained, satisfying story--just like Dune. In fact, that's a crazy good comparison.
Fine, I agree both of them have satisfying endings. Fair point. Doesnt change the fact that both books are prologue to the core story.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
For those not liking the trailer Floyd cover...
What I dislike about the Brain Damage/Eclipse cover is that so many ads (car commercials, game commercials, movie trailers, etc) are doing the "moody synth cover/alternate version of well known songs" thing. It's very trendy and Dune should have gone a different route.

Reminds me of Westworld S3's last episode. Westworld had done a great job of repurposing songs then it straight up played Brain Damage. I love Dark Side, always have, but they switched out from piano. At least go balls out without vocals, purely instrumental. To hear that famous chorus, the original recording without lyrics, would have been orchestral and impressive.

Fine, I agree both of them have satisfying endings. Fair point. Doesnt change the fact that both books are prologue to the core story.
Tolkien benefits from there being only two real books, The Hobbit and the other. Everything else is posthumous and compiled. I encourage anyone to read On Fairy-Stories and Beowulf: The Monsters and Critics to better understand his theory of northern courage; Tolkien was watering oral traditions while applying invention. What skalds, makars and storytellers do. He understood myth building, narrative, form and design. He never meant to write a series in the modern sense. He predates it and helped others to invent and reinvent it. Comparisons between Tolkien and Herbert are old and not wrong:

“I know nothing comparable to it except Lord of the Rings.”—Arthur C. Clarke

Herbert wrote six books, the names explicitly acknowledge the franchise: DUNE Messiah, Children of DUNE, Chapterhouse DUNE etc. It is easier to criticize him, unfortunately. Had Tolkien written six books set in Middle-earth maybe we could undeify him. But he remains a mountain by which others are judged.

Dune is a good book. It is well structured, well researched and skillfully written. The rest in my opinion, specifically the following five, have interesting concepts but not as good writing. They're kind of cheesy, increasingly convoluted, increasingly soap operaish. I wish I had a different opinion but it's true. Technically the best book in the series is the first. Tolkien on the other hand, the last book is so nearly perfect that everyone has been trying to emulate it ever since. From video games to dungeons and dragons to science fiction to film.

I'm 99% sure it won't happen but if Dunc uses any variation of or nod to this

I will nut so hard my erection will level entire cities.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Biggby

Molten Core Raider
There's some terrible water discipline in that trailer. Stilgar wouldn't be happy.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Soundtrack was one of the best things about the first Dune movie so this one absolutely should pay homage/leverage that.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user