Dune: Part Two (2023)

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Boy, am I glad I didn't watch this in the theater. This pile of steaming dog shit isn't even Dune, it breaks from the story so much. I haven't hated a movie this much since the Last Jedi.

Fuck

• 9Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 13 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Boy, am I glad I didn't watch this in the theater. This pile of steaming dog shit isn't even Dune, it breaks from the story so much. I haven't hated a movie this much since the Last Jedi.

Fuck
This was a lot better to watch whilst fucking your sandworm popcorn bucket. Sorry you missed out.

Sand Emerge GIF by Warner Bros. Pictures

• 3Worf
  • 1Great Review
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>

Fuck

Watched it on stream yesterday, pretty bad. no "Father, the sleeper has awakened!" Chani was an annoying girlboss trying to constantly argue with Paul instead of as in the book/old movie support him. how did they do an entire movie for the second half yet it still felt about as rushed in the end as the original 1984 movie

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
"the sleeper has awakened" isn't from the books, its only in the 1984 movie. The spice must flow, another classic line from the 1984 movie, isn't anywhere in the books either.

the DenisV movies also lack the pug, how can you go into battle without a pug cradled in your arms

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Bald Brah

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I loved the 84 film. New one not so much. Those low tech 8 bit shields were way better than the new version. And what happened to the weirding modules? Plus chani wasn't ugly.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lightning Fast
I loved the 84 film. New one not so much. Those low tech 8 bit shields were way better than the new version. And what happened to the weirding modules? Plus chani wasn't ugly.
Weirding modules are what ruined the 84 movie. They're dogshit.

Tho not as bad as this abortion of a movie. Utter trash wrapped in a cgi budget written by morons for morons. The Scifi miniseries is by far the best interpretation of Dune so far. Think about that: the SciFi channel of all things has outdone all of the Hollywood auteurs to attempt this because they're so high on their own farts they think they can outdo one of the greatest books ever written.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

Tho not as bad as this abortion of a movie. Utter trash wrapped in a cgi budget written by morons for morons. The Scifi miniseries is by far the best interpretation of Dune so far. Think about that: the SciFi channel of all things has outdone all of the Hollywood auteurs to attempt this because they're so high on their own farts they think they can outdo one of the greatest books ever written.
I don't think the weirding modules ruin the movie. It was an interesting idea, and as a kid seeing it for the first time that was pretty badass.

I do completely agree that the Sci-Fi miniseries is 100% the best adaptation. I know the CGI doesn't hold up, but man it's got a lot of good performances, and it's pretty damn faithful. I know I've said it before but it's almost like a big dramatic stage play, and that has its own unique charm of why it's so good, despite the lower production value.

Children of Dune, not so much, but it's still serviceable.

I watch the new movie the other day though, fell asleep the first night, finish it up another evening, and it just seems so hollow. Does it look amazing, absolutely, It's A beautiful film, but it's just empty. I don't know how else to describe it. I cared nothing for any of the characters, other than maybe stupid Jason Momoa in the first one because at least it seemed like he was trying to be likable, I'm not saying a lot for a man who isn't very good actor. I guess Stillgar was also enjoyable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lightning Fast
I don't think the weirding modules ruin the movie. It was an interesting idea, and as a kid seeing it for the first time that was pretty badass.

I do completely agree that the Sci-Fi miniseries is 100% the best adaptation. I know the CGI doesn't hold up, but man it's got a lot of good performances, and it's pretty damn faithful. I know I've said it before but it's almost like a big dramatic stage play, and that has its own unique charm of why it's so good, despite the lower production value.

Children of Dune, not so much, but it's still serviceable.

I watch the new movie the other day though, fell asleep the first night, finish it up another evening, and it just seems so hollow. Does it look amazing, absolutely, It's A beautiful film, but it's just empty. I don't know how else to describe it. I cared nothing for any of the characters, other than maybe stupid Jason Momoa in the first one because at least it seemed like he was trying to be likable, I'm not saying a lot for a man who isn't very good actor. I guess Stillgar was also enjoyable.
Weirding modules DO ruin it. Completely.

What are they? They're basically guns. The writers were too stupid to see that Herbert specifically didn't want guns and lasers and high tech weapons in his universe and came up with an entire mythos about why that was. These writers said to themselves, "Huh? This guy's dumb, lol. We need guns, so let's say they're Voice activated guns!" Never mind that training the use of Voice is like 10 times harder than mastering prana-bindu training, and you need to do that training whether Voice or prana-bindu (weirding way martial arts) for at LEAST all the elite Fedaykin, and more generally give it to all the Fremen you can if you want a chance to defeat the Sardaukar legions. Never mind that to get the tech to make all those modules means you need a manufacturing base the Fremen don't have. So if they didn't make them, who gave them the tech? The Ixians? So does that mean the Fremen put themselves in a weaker position in relation to the Ixians to get these modules? How did they manage to make a deal with the Ixians without attracting the attention of the empire or the Harkonnen? It's all retarded nonsense bullshit so some fucking moron can put the guns they wanted in the movie that Herbert wrote the entire story around NOT having.

Now, compare that to just following the book and making it a hyper advanced method of martial arts that puts people who know some of it far above others, and people who have mastered it as basically untouchable vs anyone who also isn't trained in it. It was 1984, had they never seen a martial arts movie? Never heard of Bruce Lee? All they would have had to do is portray the Sardaukar as kind of plodding around but strong, and the Fedaykin as wushu masters or something. Doesn't even need to be wushu or Chinese, they could have picked from a ton of different styles. Easy, job done. And it would have been AWESOME. Desert space ninjas beat up imperial space hoplites in the final battle.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
80s movie was good first half, but it really falls apart as it comes to the end for lots of reasons. You can tell they basically ran out of budget.

• 1Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Ill say this, these 2 movies cut out the Space Guild and their power within the universe in a bad way. Their power is the reason Spice is valuable, hence why who controls the spice controls all.

DEI Chani is awful, as is her friend. YAY GIRL POWER

Also was a bad choice to cut down the time period and keep it within months instead of years, and no sister being born.

The one positive was their portrayal of the Fremen hardliners and Stilgars desire for Lisan Al Ghaib.

• 1Like
  • 1Great Review

Fucker

Log Wizard

The weirdest part of these movies? They left out the story. If you didn't read Dune or watch any of the previous Dune stuff, you'd have no clue who these people are or what the fuck is going on beyond the superficial.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Lightning Fast
The weirdest part of these movies? They left out the story. If you didn't read Dune or watch any of the previous Dune stuff, you'd have no clue who these people are or what the fuck is going on beyond the superficial.
Yup, totally agree. Modern filmmakers are so fucking stupid it's just painful. Or maybe THEY are not 100% morons, but they think they need to make material for 90IQ idiots or it won't sell? Either way the effect is the same.

Or how about nuking the sandworms instead of destroying their life cycle by placing the water of life in a pre-spice mass? All the stuff that Herbert has as the very main theme of the books -terra-forming and the implications and ramifications thereof- is just casually tossed in the trash can with that decision. It's just so lazy and bad compared to the level of mastery that destroying them through the water of life demonstrates for Paul. Like, did no other Great House think of just weaning themselves off of spice and then nuking Arrakis to wipe out the other Great Houses through the non-existent spice supply (they're all addicted and would die) and gain the imperial throne? The whole point of Paul wiping out spice production is no one thought it was possible short of destroying the planet, which I don't think any of the houses has weapons that are capable of such. Or at least it's not mentioned. Since no one thought it was possible, neither the guild nor the emperor nor the bene gesserit were prepared for such a gambit from Paul.

And now that this made some money, Hollywood thinks they have the next "Big IP" on their hands. So what does that mean? You guessed it, it's time to implement a MCU/Star Wars style release schedule on the Brian Herbert/Keviiin J. Andeeeeerson utter garbage prequel/sequel books. Brian Herbert being essentially the mirror universe-Christopher Tolkien when it comes to stewardship of the family IP.

The bright side of THAT development? No one really cares about all of that tripe. Garbage in, garbage out. I hope Hollywood loses trillions on it. The sad part is how badly they've tarnished the legacy of great man like Frank Herbert through greed, stupidity, and incompetence.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Weirding modules DO ruin it. Completely.

What are they? They're basically guns. The writers were too stupid to see that Herbert specifically didn't want guns and lasers and high tech weapons in his universe and came up with an entire mythos about why that was. These writers said to themselves, "Huh? This guy's dumb, lol. We need guns, so let's say they're Voice activated guns!" Never mind that training the use of Voice is like 10 times harder than mastering prana-bindu training, and you need to do that training whether Voice or prana-bindu (weirding way martial arts) for at LEAST all the elite Fedaykin, and more generally give it to all the Fremen you can if you want a chance to defeat the Sardaukar legions. Never mind that to get the tech to make all those modules means you need a manufacturing base the Fremen don't have. So if they didn't make them, who gave them the tech? The Ixians? So does that mean the Fremen put themselves in a weaker position in relation to the Ixians to get these modules? How did they manage to make a deal with the Ixians without attracting the attention of the empire or the Harkonnen? It's all retarded nonsense bullshit so some fucking moron can put the guns they wanted in the movie that Herbert wrote the entire story around NOT having.

Now, compare that to just following the book and making it a hyper advanced method of martial arts that puts people who know some of it far above others, and people who have mastered it as basically untouchable vs anyone who also isn't trained in it. It was 1984, had they never seen a martial arts movie? Never heard of Bruce Lee? All they would have had to do is portray the Sardaukar as kind of plodding around but strong, and the Fedaykin as wushu masters or something. Doesn't even need to be wushu or Chinese, they could have picked from a ton of different styles. Easy, job done. And it would have been AWESOME. Desert space ninjas beat up imperial space hoplites in the final battle.
I understand what you're saying, and I guess the miniseries actually got it right, but the 84 film was David Lynch. Despite its flaws it's still a good movie. I read the books when I was younger and reread them I don't know maybe a four or five years ago up to God Emperor. I'm not a lore Master when it comes to it, but it also doesn't bother me they tried to do something which was probably more palatable and easily explainable to moviegoers at the time.

I do think they did a really good job in the '80s movie representing the voice. Whatever effect they use always sounded really cool, but then again the miniseries had a pretty good rendition.

I just think the new version would have been amazing had it just been a giant HBO high budget series to really flesh everything out, but what do I know.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
short of destroying the planet, which I don't think any of the houses has weapons that are capable of such.

You may want to re-read book two. There was a side story where the minor character Paul Atreides was targeted with a weapon that had the potential to destroy a planet with enough fuel in an assassination plot. Those weapons definitely exist in Herbert's dune. The frank one, not the fake one.

• 2Like

Lightning Fast
I understand what you're saying, and I guess the miniseries actually got it right, but the 84 film was David Lynch. Despite its flaws it's still a good movie. I read the books when I was younger and reread them I don't know maybe a four or five years ago up to God Emperor. I'm not a lore Master when it comes to it, but it also doesn't bother me they tried to do something which was probably more palatable and easily explainable to moviegoers at the time.

I do think they did a really good job in the '80s movie representing the voice. Whatever effect they use always sounded really cool, but then again the miniseries had a pretty good rendition.

I just think the new version would have been amazing had it just been a giant HBO high budget series to really flesh everything out, but what do I know.
The underlined right there is the problem. Dune was written by a genius to explore complex topics, with a truly great story woven in to hold all of those complex topics together. If you want to make something easily explainable to 'general audiences' (Read: morons who are impressed by flashy lights and pretty colors and vistas) then you just don't make Dune at all.

And based on HBO's recent track record, giving it to them would just give them more time to fuck it up even harder than the movies did.

You may want to re-read book two. There was a side story where the minor character Paul Atreides was targeted with a weapon that had the potential to destroy a planet with enough fuel in an assassination plot. Those weapons definitely exist in Herbert's dune. The frank one, not the fake one.
Huh, ok fair enough. I've only read book 2 maybe twice because it's by far the weakest of the originals IMO. The point about their use still stands though. Whether that's a hole in Herbert's original writing is up for debate I guess.