Dune: Part Two (2023)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

That's the definitive edition of Dune but they don't have the entire set

The set you were thinking of was this

View attachment 433339

They are out of print except for the first book at this point, and have said they have no plans to bring back the set. It was a total of $660 at the time from Easton Press

Yeah I'd love to get these (at a reasonable price). I've never read any of the sequels and it might be the one major book series left that I have on a God-Tier pedestal and haven't gotten to the rest of yet.

As far as the sequels go, is it generally agreed-upon that books 2-4 are the required reading and 5-6 are meh/skippable? Or are all of them worth it?

I just want a fucking leatherbound hardback of books 1-4 at a reasonable price. That Barnes & Noble collector's edition of book 1 is just fine, except they only did book 1. That $650 shit's gay.

Same here. I got the Barnes & Noble collector's edition direct from the store for $30 or so and it's super nice. $30 even felt like it was too low for how nice it is. It must have not sold well for them to not follow up with bringing out the others the same way, or maybe they were too expensive to produce or something. Jack the price up to $50 each and get the rest of them up for sale, plz.

20230824_235226.jpg

20230824_235240.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
As far as the sequels go, is it generally agreed-upon that books 2-4 are the required reading and 5-6 are meh/skippable? Or are all of them worth it?
Read them (5-6) but they are lower quality books, no question about it.

On one hand you have to wade through pages of almost Larry Niven levels of cringe 70s sci-fi sex.

On the other hand you get Miles Teg.

Overall, its absolutely worth it.

Hatar

Trakanon Raider

On one hand you have to wade through pages of almost Larry Niven levels of cringe 70s sci-fi sex.

To me, 5-6 are great because they expand the world surrounding Dune. When I went back to re-read the series again it helped to have this background. I found it enhanced my understanding of books 1-4. Sad he didn’t finish 7 to finish the trilogy….I don’t have interest to read his son’s version.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I don’t have interest to read his son’s version.
Don't do it. For the love of all thats holy, don't do it. You can't unread them and it forever diminishes the Dune universe.

I read them all. God help me, I read some of them twice. When it comes to anything Dune related I'm like a heroin junkie in the late stages; I'm ashamed but can't stop myself.

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Worf
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 6 users

Hatar

Trakanon Raider
Don't do it. For the love of all thats holy, don't do it. You can't unread them and it forever diminishes the Dune universe.

I read them all. God help me, I read some of them twice. When it comes to anything Dune related I'm like a heroin junkie in the late stages; I'm ashamed but can't stop myself.
Thank you! At least your pain is helping others

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Oh fuck you WB.

WB moving the movie they already have multiple trailers for, an Empire cover and photoshoot coming out today, among other marketing, but still have not moved Aquaman 2, which may not even be done yet, has got to piss off the theaters.

I wonder how this plays out for the release in March. Movie theaters had given WB a sweetheart deal and told them Dune 2 got to keep the Imax screens for at least like 6 (maybe 8?) weeks, and that they would not be bumping it for The Marvels.

Things will be much more crowded next Spring if trends hold. I could even see them offering up Imax screens to Disney for Snow White the following week, just to fuckin spite WB

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Given how Just-In-Time movie making is nowadays, unless they've finished primary photography, maybe even reshoots, I would toss out any Spring premiere dates.

Which is probably the real reason for the delay - sure, not having publicity would hurt Twune's box office in 2023, but not having any major releases ready for Summer of 24 would hurt WB worse.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Another thought, after the way they released the first one, and now this delay for a completed and marketed movie, I wonder if Villeneuve ends up in the Fuck WB club with Nolan

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>

Miles Teg is the man!

Do not under any circumstances, read anything by the son. They are not real, it's a joke to confuse you and take your money. Learn from our mistakes. Read the Frank Herbert books and forget about anything else.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
dune inforgraphic.jpg

I've posted this before, but it's absolutely true. Books 5 and 6 have some issues, but they're still good. I tried reading some of the non Frank books and that shit is just bad. He makes the Tolkein kid's writing seem like literary masterpieces.

• 6Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
To me, 5-6 are great because they expand the world surrounding Dune. When I went back to re-read the series again it helped to have this background. I found it enhanced my understanding of books 1-4. Sad he didn’t finish 7 to finish the trilogy….I don’t have interest to read his son’s version.

So it was supposed to be a 7-part series?

7 parts really is the sweet spot for books and TV seasons, not sure why.

Edit: Jesus, are all of those Brian Herbert books real? Not sure if meme. Real shame FH didn't get to do the conclusion, sounds like one of the biggest missed opportunities in literary history (along with George R.R. Martin inevitably keeling over before Dreams of Spring ever sees the light of day)

Last edited:

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So it was supposed to be a 7-part series?

7 parts really is the sweet spot for books and TV seasons, not sure why.

Edit: Jesus, are all of those Brian Herbert books real? Not sure if meme. Real shame FH didn't get to do the conclusion, sounds like one of the biggest missed opportunities in literary history (along with George R.R. Martin inevitably keeling over before Dreams of Spring ever sees the light of day)
It certainly was for Game of Thrones.

nu_11

not feeling it. modern zoomer actors ruin the movie

I wish I lived 10,000 years in the future.

Praise the Messiah
Praise the God Emperor of Dune

Paul isnt the god emperor. He's a coward who didnt follow the golden path

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
not feeling it. modern zoomer actors ruin the movie

Paul isnt the god emperor. He's a coward who didnt follow the golden path
I know he is the Messiah