Dungeons & Dragons (2022)

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was prepared for this to be mediocre but my inner nerd is pretty stoked to see this.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sevens

Log Wizard
While I do hate that every franchise is just copying the marvel jokey vibe, this looks fun and hope it delivers.
Whilst I do agree, I think for DnD it fits. I have never played a campaign that didn't degenerate into just completely stupid antics and plans that some how work out in the end even though they never should have. What rustles my jimmies is that with the current shit Hasbro / WoTC have pulled I find it hard to support anything they have a hand in, but who am I kidding I will be there day one.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I couldn't disagree more with liking another satirical/whimsical D&D movie. EVERY previous D&D-based movie has been like this and all of them have been absolutely terrible.

I want a D&D movie with the same type of tone that the LotR trilogy had. Certainly, LotR had some moments of levity, but those films took themselves seriously and that's the only way the fantasy genre can break away from its current goofy stereotype.

That said, I have absolutely no intention of seeing this in a theater despite being a huge fan of D&D (woke cult notwithstanding).

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Caliane

I couldn't disagree more with liking another satirical/whimsical D&D movie. EVERY previous D&D-based movie has been like this and all of them have been absolutely terrible.

I want a D&D movie with the same type of tone that the LotR trilogy had. Certainly, LotR had some moments of levity, but those films took themselves seriously and that's the only way the fantasy genre can break away from its current goofy stereotype.

That said, I have absolutely no intention of seeing this in a theater despite being a huge fan of D&D (woke cult notwithstanding).
same.
I want one to take this shit seriously. A dragonlance. Take the IP seriously in the mainstream. that makes it cool and people enjoy it. keep the goofy injokes to your homegames. SAme with superheroes and shit. if you treat a character like a joke in the mainstream movie, thats all anyone will treat them as.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

You’re not going to get that movie funded, though. Fantasy IP on this type of scale are expensive and the Rings of Power lukewarm reception has somewhat poisoned the well for now

D&D in the current mainstream mindset is going to be associated with stuff like Critical Roll, or Stranger Things, or people just fucking around with friends at a local game. Heck, even stuff like Jumanji influences films like this. It’s an easier sell to do a less serious movie than a more serious take on the IP.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You’re not going to get that movie funded, though. Fantasy IP on this type of scale are expensive and the Rings of Power lukewarm reception has somewhat poisoned the well for now

D&D in the current mainstream mindset is going to be associated with stuff like Critical Roll, or Stranger Things, or people just fucking around with friends at a local game. Heck, even stuff like Jumanji influences films like this. It’s an easier sell to do a less serious movie than a more serious take on the IP.
This is completely not true and dumb. See GoT/HotD, Vikings etc. If I mention D&D to people 99% of them would not even know what Critical Roll is or think of Stranger Things. Thats like saying 80s music and people only think of Guardians of the Galaxy.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Cybsled

Yes, GoT/HotD. But then you run the risk of being perceived as “Great Value” GoT.

Although another reason: They want to sell D&D stuff. If you make D&D look fun, then you sell more D&D stuff. The market is flush with TRRPG stuff, so it is a good way to differentiate to normies. And for people who play the game, it helps bring up good memories which makes them feel more fondly for the IP

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yes, GoT/HotD. But then you run the risk of being perceived as “Great Value” GoT.

Although another reason: They want to sell D&D stuff. If you make D&D look fun, then you sell more D&D stuff. The market is flush with TRRPG stuff, so it is a good way to differentiate to normies. And for people who play the game, it helps bring up good memories which makes them feel more fondly for the IP
So you view GoT as Walmart LoTR then?

By saying everything needs to be fun and quarky, is literally the problem that others have expressed.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Oh man, if it has someone surfing on a shield while shooting arrows I'm so fucking in!!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
same.
I want one to take this shit seriously. A dragonlance. Take the IP seriously in the mainstream. that makes it cool and people enjoy it. keep the goofy injokes to your homegames. SAme with superheroes and shit. if you treat a character like a joke in the mainstream movie, thats all anyone will treat them as.

serious white lead roles? nope.

only way you'll get a white frontman on these IPs is if he's shaking his ass and crank calling starships with ya momma bitch jokes. true to that, this movie looks like more of a rump-shaker.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just because you a movie takes ita source material seriously doesn't mean it can't also have moments of fun. I don't think anyone wants a DND movie on the level of Schindler's list. But I don't think anyone really wants a DND movie that feels like it's making fun of the people who play it, either.

I'd be totally happy with a serious DND movie but also one that had fun characters who sometimes acted silly and failed upwards. But that's a hard to be to get right.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I think our favorite was probably Blood Rayne.

That's one of my top movies of all time. I only saw it once and barely remember anything about it, but it was great. Went to a chicks place, she started it up, and during the opening credits she said "I've already seen this, can I suck your dick?"

So she blew me though the entire movie. No idea how many times I nutted. When it was over she made me a sandwich, started Monty Python's the Meaning of Life, told me she'd seen that one too and I let her suck my dick some more.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I may have stoner memory, but I can't think of a movie with a female barbarian in the D&D style.
Technically not a movie and she's not 100% true to the DnD Barbarian, but she's pretty close.

xenagab1.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Sevens

Log Wizard
I have heard talk that they want to have a sort of D&DCU

Would love to see "Forgotten Realms" as light hearted silly romps.
"Dragonlance" as more serious / darker stories
"Dark Sun" for a more dystopian flavor
"Spelljammer" for a sci fi feel.

You could do sooo much with this IP

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have heard talk that they want to have a sort of D&DCU

Would love to see "Forgotten Realms" as light hearted silly romps.
"Dragonlance" as more serious / darker stories
"Dark Sun" for a more dystopian flavor
"Spelljammer" for a sci fi feel.

You could do sooo much with this IP
There is only one requirement... make movies that dont suck donkey dick.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
same.

Dragonlance isn’t the best choice for serious. I mean, it’s like a Fizban Tasslehoff double act.

• 1Like