Dungeons & Dragons (2022)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I dont get the “emasculating male leads” here (unless you are referring to someone other than Pine) because dudes a bard and never in my life have I played a serious bard that succeeded in much other than bluffing his way through the campaign and doing as little real work as possible.

I think everything I’ve seen from Pine fits how I see all of my bards pretty well.
Yeah, pine seems exactly on point for a bard, and the paladin already had trailer moments where the whole party thinks he's a badass. That just leaves justice smith and he emasculates himself enough already, so I don't really get that comment from the writers

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sythrak

Vyemm Raider
Yeah. I got on Twitter and told them no Dark Sun then no more money from me.
"However, the potentially “problematic” aspects of the setting Brink refers to are numerous. Sensitive topics like genocide are ingrained in the setting, and slavery is commonplace. Several DnD races from the setting also potentially perpetuate harmful stereotypes.

Wizards of the Coast has taken several steps in recent history to amend problematic content in D&D, such as tying ability scores to background instead of race in One D&D and hiring cultural consultants after players criticised the Hadozee Spelljammer race."

What in the fuck.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
A couple old fuckers I know are really eager for this. Eager as in amped up on hopium and the possibility of there being a sliver of warm nostalgia that comes from this.

Funny thing is my fondest memory of pen & paper D&D with these guys was secretly working out a system with our DM for picking the pockets of party members without anyone knowing what the roll was for.

I always got my loot.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I expect it to be garbage. But I'm going to watch it anyway to see what temperature the garbage is.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This is getting decent reviews, really didn't see that coming. I'm not biting the bullet on this one. John wick is maybe the last movie I'm wasting my time on this year

Last edited:

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Will watch it and expect to enjoy it. Even bad DnD movies are still bringing a bit of my misspent youth to the screen.

• 4Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
A couple old fuckers I know are really eager for this. Eager as in amped up on hopium and the possibility of there being a sliver of warm nostalgia that comes from this.

I'd like to be optimistic but I saw

1679010177543.png

in the theater instead of playing DnD that night. Everyone hated it.

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I remember skipping D&D to go watch Harry Potter 1, because the DM's gf insisted.

Wands were gay then and they're still gay now.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I remember skipping D&D to go watch Harry Potter 1, because the DM's gf insisted.

Wands were gay then and they're still gay now.

Shit, we did that too. That one was less shit but I was definitely not the target audience.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I watched a leak of this movie this morning and it's complete shit as many of us predicted.

D-tier acting, boring plot, forced 'diversity,' etc., etc.

Save your money. Trust me on that.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I went to a pre screening of it, enjoyed it as did the group of my D&D buddies. But again we identified with a lot of what we saw with our own games together.

I mean it’s no best picture nominee but I thought it was good for what it was.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I went to a pre screening of it, enjoyed it as did the group of my D&D buddies. But again we identified with a lot of what we saw with our own games together.

I mean it’s no best picture nominee but I thought it was good for what it was.
Eh. I've been talking about it in a few Discord channels for the last hour and a number of people have made the same argument.

I guess it's just me and the people I choose to play with because I definitely don't enjoy or play D&D games with that goofy shit.

• 1Like
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Solidarity

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
You must have some boring bards in your groups then ;)

also I can’t even begin to imagine a D&D game without goofy shit. But we all game in our own way that’s enjoyable for us I suppose.

• 2Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
As long as my girl and I can have some fun and get a few chuckles out of it, Ill be happy. Could use a dumb fun popcorn flick.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
You must have some boring bards in your groups then ;)

also I can’t even begin to imagine a D&D game without goofy shit. But we all game in our own way that’s enjoyable for us I suppose.
We played Mechwarrior and Cyberpunk as our more serious games. D&D was our fun loose game and we played Paranoia for when we just wanted to fuck around.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
My memories of Elric and Stormbringer are so strong that I STILL want to spend $10,000 to buy a replica Stormbringer just to hang on my fucking wall, and rereading them didn't dampen that desire one bit. The only thing holding me back all these years is a lack of ten grand to basically throw away. (As an aside, if I did ever buy it, I'd put it in my fucking will that I need to be buried with it!)

That's how I feel about the sword from Highlander: The Series. ...which I do now have!

20230319_160002.jpg

Anyway I should probably see this D&D movie since I'm on the Great CRPG Fest. Maybe go back and see the old ones too? IDK. The one with Jeremy Irons looked pretty bad. So maybe not.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Most fantasy IPs do not translate well for many reasons, from hollywood suits fucking with things, directors or writers who are just using the IP to cash in, to just plain poor production values. Conan was (and is) considered good, but it strayed a lot from the source material of the books. Excalibur same way. LOTR suffered from just plain being too long towards the end of the trilogy. GoT, well no need to dogpile there. I cannot even think of another well liked fantasy IP that was well received and financially successful off the top of my head. Willow I guess maybe?

Someone needs to adapt the Prydain Chronicles.

Five books. Really incredible ones too. I've got them at home, I'll take a picture later. People will probably instantly recognize them from seeing them in their school library as a kid. They were really big in school libraries in the 80's and 90's.

It's kind of sacrilege but I feel like, comparing books versus books, the Prydain Chronicles might be a more fun/readable story than LOTR. Yeah LOTR is more complex by a mile, but Prydain is easy to follow and has some of the best characters in fantasy literature.

And yet, no real adaptations to the screen in any form. Book 2 (The Black Cauldron) randomly got a standalone cartoon version. It was the second most popular book, but still, a cartoon adaption that also ignores the rest of the series...isn't really optimal.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The Drizzt novels would do much better than Dragonlance. Solid party and less to try to explain to the audience. You could even just start with the first 3 books in the series. Drizzt is just more of a standout character than the Dragonlance ones.

Who would we cast to play Drizzt for ten seasons?

I vote for Digimon Hounsou in blue-face.