Dungeons & Dragons (2022)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i think about "evil" in sphere of gradiance. obviously you have serial killer, slaver, despot style evil people, where their form of evil is explicitly about enforcing their will over other people by any means possible. but you're forgetting that just being plain old selfish aligns more with being evil than being good. a society doesn't need to be filled with good people to thrive, just a bunch of people selfish enough to know that what's best FOR THEM is following a certain level of law and order. sure you have lawful evil type people who would agree with that, but neutral evil people would too. left to their own devices they might not follow any sense of order, but they understand that in order to not only survive, but get what they want is by following rules. that's where i would say the vast majority of people in any given society live.

think about kids. if any of you have had to take care of 2 kids at the same time, they have an overdefined sense of "fairness." personally they are a-okay with getting more than their sibling, but if their sibling gets what they perceive to be more than them, they FLIP OUT. THAT'S what the majority of civilized people are like. they aren't operating from a good, altruistic mindset, they are operating in survival mode.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
You sound like a caricature of a 'woke' person with this nonsense. This is the same as the "because they're ignorant of their privilege, they're evil racists!" argument.
You're literally disagreeing with the D&D Players Manual about what the alignment "evil" means in a discussion about whether evil D&D races like Drow could actually have a functional society. And thinking your disagreement on the matter has any bearing on anything. Its the fucking manual.

You're a clown, but not the funny kind.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
i think about "evil" in sphere of gradiance. obviously you have serial killer, slaver, despot style evil people, where their form of evil is explicitly about enforcing their will over other people by any means possible. but you're forgetting that just being plain old selfish aligns more with being evil than being good. a society doesn't need to be filled with good people to thrive, just a bunch of people selfish enough to know that what's best FOR THEM is following a certain level of law and order. sure you have lawful evil type people who would agree with that, but neutral evil people would too. left to their own devices they might not follow any sense of order, but they understand that in order to not only survive, but get what they want is by following rules. that's where i would say the vast majority of people in any given society live.

think about kids. if any of you have had to take care of 2 kids at the same time, they have an overdefined sense of "fairness." personally they are a-okay with getting more than their sibling, but if their sibling gets what they perceive to be more than them, they FLIP OUT. THAT'S what the majority of civilized people are like. they aren't operating from a good, altruistic mindset, they are operating in survival mode.
Yes. Mist is being retarded and pretending that only a subset of chaotic evil people, the ones who are so crazy they get caught, only they count as evil.

You are exactly right: selfish = evil.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
1.5 billion people believe that its ok to fuck your child bride when she turns 9 years old because the founder of their religion did it and he was a perfect man.

I was about to type "age of consent" but thats not right. In islam, women are property they don't give consent, but females become fuckable at age 9.

20% of the planets population belives this, and thats not the worst of it.

Well over 50% of the population meets the D&D definition of evil.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Caught this last night. It was pretty shitty. It had some neat elements and seeing D&D shit is worth a +2, but it just wasn't good. I actually thought the Paladin was the least suck of the party. The shitty mage coming in second. Owlbear fucking shit up was good as was the displacer beast and a couple other of the monsters.

• 1Like

Juvarisx

Florida
This is included with Paramount + sp finally caught it tonight. As I didnt pay a dime for it as P+ is included with Walmart delivery I quite enjoyed it. Chris Pine is as likable as ever, and it was filmed well enough to be funny and exciting when it needed to be. Was it a perfect film? Nope....lots to nitpick, but it made me smile and it held my attention throughout. B+? I dunno it was fine.

Edit. I agree with some people who saw it in theaters. Its a FUN movie. It's not going to win awards, it will be relegated to more or less forgotten in 5 years, but for what it was it was fun. Its like that first Jumangi reboot, I enjoyed watching it and moving on with my life.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Finally got around to watching this tonight. I honestly thought it was a very solid flick. It's a pity that in the pre-release press they had idiots going off on how much they were going to enjoy emasculating all the male characters and turned a ton of people off from watching it, or at least paying to watch it. Looking at the numbers it's not going to be profitable (Cost around $150m to make, plus reshoots, plus marketing, and apparently is only a touch over $200m... no bueno. ) There were a ton of nits to pick (like what the hell ever happened to that helm?) but having DM'd a couple campaigns in my time I'm sure the DM was going to make sure it stayed close enough to the rails. heh

And luckily the chick who played the druid is legal...

I do completely agree with the Honest Trailer about it.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Despite all odds it was a pretty good film. Don't think anyone saw that coming.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
It had some bad timing in the theaters...Super Mario movie launched like 1 week after this came out

The only 2 movies I've seen this year, both great. I hope they go forward with a sequel, low budget here could actually work well if that means less CGI and more practical effects (done well and creatively of course).

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I got super Mario for my daughter because it was so well liked here. I don't get it. I think it's subpar kids movie compared to a bunch of other stuff all of us really like.

Sevens

Log Wizard
I got super Mario for my daughter because it was so well liked here. I don't get it. I think it's subpar kids movie compared to a bunch of other stuff all of us really like.
I think it was so well liked because it was a movie with a plot and not just a vehicle to promote "The Message".

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I think it was so well liked because it was a movie with a plot and not just a vehicle to promote "The Message".
This, it was just a well done movie. It wasn't awesome, like I'll probably never watch it again, but compared to other offerings lately it deserved the money.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
It's a kids movie through and through. It doesn't have that extra layer like some of the good Pixar films or things of that nature. I wouldn't expect an adult to go gaga over it unless they were a hardcore Nintendo nerd (and then, are you really an adult?).

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
This is on prime now. As someone whose only D&D knowledge is nerd culture and 15 hours (so far) of BG3, I liked it. Funny, I got some references just from a bit of BG3 experience that I wouldn't have otherwise. Solid 3.5 or 4 star popcorn flick.

Was the tiefling supposed to be red?

• 2Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This is on prime now. As someone whose only D&D knowledge is nerd culture and 15 hours (so far) of BG3, I liked it. Funny, I got some references just from a bit of BG3 experience that I wouldn't have otherwise. Solid 3.5 or 4 star popcorn flick.

Was the tiefling supposed to be red?
tieflings don't have to be red. their specific lineage defines what color they are, but they can all be varying shades of those colors. plenty of tieflings have human colored skin

• 2Like