Dungeons & Dragons (2022)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
3ed. Came out at the waning years of my pen and paper days. I haven't played tabletop since the early 2000's, and I think 3ed. came out in like 2000? Also the thought of paying like 50% more for every new book was bullshit at the time.
The simplification of the game system made it so much easier to gain and retain new players. I was helping manage a game store when 3rd dropped and the shit just spent the next year or so flying off the shelves at warp speed. Enthusiasm was so high that there wasn't even much bitching when 3.5 was announced barely 2 years later and it turned out to be a much needed polishing of the rules rather than just a cash grab.

I quit gaming not too long before 4th edition came out so ~15 years at this point, give or take.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I never thought 2nd edition was complicated coming from AD&D. However, over 10 years we had a small notebook full of homebrew rules.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
They are called dark elves because they live in the dark, not their skin color. Just like wood elves live in the woods, not because they are wood colored.

Wizards also changed (added? Reconned?) Drow lore to add an entire sub category of good Drow that don't worship lolth. Unfortunately, woke people can't differentiate between people who are wearing blackface as an overt attempt to offend others, and wearing make-up to emulate a fantasy race that has zero in common with African Americans.

There's a bunch of pretty cool Drow stories but you can only tell them in books are live play games that have no chance of being portrayed in live action
Eilistraee was in the AD&D 2nd edition book "The Drow of the Underdark"....granted I always thought it was pointless, and certainly not a whole sub category. Drow were supposed to be evil freaks.

And her followers might have been made up of more surface races, rather than "good" Drow. It's been so fucking long I can't remember.

Goatface

figure the will make the leader religious right wing slavers that oppress the other free spirit dark elves that just want love and happiness for all.

Szlia

Eilistraee was in the AD&D 2nd edition book "The Drow of the Underdark".
I was about to mention that: we played a lot of 2nd ed. in the Forgotten Realms through the '90s and for some campain I played a drow priestess of Eilistraee. This got me rummaging through old stuff and found some rule books and some lore books (Mystara stuff for 2nd ed. and the wonderful Ravenloft books for golems, vampires, ghosts, etc that I spliced in the Mystara campains I ran), but I could not find my binder of character sheets nor the Drow of the Underdark book. The oddest thing is that I did not find the single best class book ever released for 2nd ed. (and possibly the best additional book to every pnp RPG ever, as it's basically the foundation for a whole different flavor of games) The Complete Thief's Handbook.

Anyway, the movie is campy harmless fun with no teeth. Ok children entertainment, but not much more.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I was about to mention that: we played a lot of 2nd ed. in the Forgotten Realms through the '90s and for some campain I played a drow priestess of Eilistraee. This got me rummaging through old stuff and found some rule books and some lore books (Mystara stuff for 2nd ed. and the wonderful Ravenloft books for golems, vampires, ghosts, etc that I spliced in the Mystara campains I ran), but I could not find my binder of character sheets nor the Drow of the Underdark book. The oddest thing is that I did not find the single best class book ever released for 2nd ed. (and possibly the best additional book to every pnp RPG ever, as it's basically the foundation for a whole different flavor of games) The Complete Thief's Handbook.

Anyway, the movie is campy harmless fun with no teeth. Ok children entertainment, but not much more.
I lost all my gaming stuff in a storage fire about 15 years ago. It was a substantial amount. It was like all my old characters, minis, custom campaign stuff, etc. I think the thing I miss the most was I spent a year filling out and completing this:

und.jpg

und map.jpg

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
figure the will make the leader religious right wing slavers that oppress the other free spirit dark elves that just want love and happiness for all.

Well that's kinda how the drow are, the women rule and the men are their slaves, all following the will of Lolth.

Goatface

This is the episode that picture of Chang was from.

1684249707507.png

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Drow were supposed to be evil freaks.
No, they aren't. The tragedy of their race is that they really don't belong in the Underdark. If it weren't for the cultural brainwashing from the cult of the Spider Queen then many more of them might react to the surface the way Drizzt did.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
No, they aren't. The tragedy of their race is that they really don't belong in the Underdark. If it weren't for the cultural brainwashing from the cult of the Spider Queen then many more of them might react to the surface the way Drizzt did.
Maybe? But their default alignment was CE….at least in 2nd Edition.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
Correct. People need to stop doing this bullshit of pretending evil doesn't exit by saying, "You just don't understand!"
We do understand. Evil exists, and one of the things which made Drizzt stand out was that chose to be the exception instead of the rule as a Drow. Just like metallic dragons are good and chromatic dragons are evil. Period.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just like metallic dragons are good and chromatic dragons are evil. Period.
Aside from the good green that served Reorx in Dragonlance, the good red in the Fall of Myth Drannor, and the entire Eberron campaign setting.

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
imo, anything in D&D where "all X are Y" or "99.999% of X are Y" is boring, with the explicit exception of planar/outsider stuff, because planar creatures are explicitly tied to elemental or ideological axis.

All drow being evil does not make sense because they have something resembling a society. You cannot have a society where everyone is evil, that is not how societies work.

Things like goblins make more sense to tend mostly towards evil, because they don't really have societies.

Drow would make more sense if they were like Romulans.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
imo, anything in D&D where "all X are Y" or "99.999% of X are Y" is boring, with the explicit exception of planar/outsider stuff, because planar creatures are explicitly tied to elemental or ideological axis.

All drow being evil does not make sense because they have something resembling a society. You cannot have a society where everyone is evil, that is not how societies work.

Things like goblins make more sense to tend mostly towards evil, because they don't really have societies.

Think of it more like - to them, it's not evil. Just a different moral standard. But it would look evil to most of humanity.

Sevens

Log Wizard

Untitled.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Lawful evil would work.
To a degree, maybe. I don't think you could operate a society with more than 20% explicitly evil people. Societies only work because most people want to cooperate most of the time. What percentage of people are evil, and what percentage of those people get away with it or are even rewarded for it, are what differentiates a society.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Finally got around to watching this. I liked it. The characters worked well together. It had some good humorous moments with the "Decoy" being the stand out, laugh out loud moment. The Owl Bear was impressive. The Fat dragon was interesting. Easily the best attempt at a Dungeon and Dragons movie. I would watch a sequel, if one were to be made.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
To a degree, maybe. I don't think you could operate a society with more than 20% explicitly evil people. Societies only work because most people want to cooperate most of the time. What percentage of people are evil, and what percentage of those people get away with it or are even rewarded for it, are what differentiates a society.
Define "operate a society". I don't disagree with your overall premise but theres degrees of operation, and the decline of a society can take a long time.

Modern American society is easily way over 20% explicitly evil people. It isnt even close.

• 1Picard