Dungeons & Dragons (2022)

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maybe one day we will get someone to reproduce the early seasons production quality of GoT with another ip. I dont see fantasy in movies doing well.

Especially when pretty much all of D&D is just too much of a direct copypasta of Tolkein.

Malazan would be rad.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Its kindof crazy after Lotr, no one made use of the volumes of Dragonlance, etc stuff to make some fantasy movies. theres a ton of pre-existing material.
I never understood how the Dragonlance novels were never made into a movie trilogy. Dial up the dialogue quality a bit and throw in some more mature content and it would be a paint by number movie success story. The “Twin” dynamic between Raistlin and his brother alone, if well acted and written, would be awesome.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I never understood how the Dragonlance novels were never made into a movie trilogy. Dial up the dialogue quality a bit and throw in some more mature content and it would be a paint by number movie success story. The “Twin” dynamic between Raistlin and his brother alone, if well acted and written, would be awesome.
The Twins trilogy is probably the best of that whole genre, but you cannot do it without the original trilogy in place. You could make it more mature (the original books) by emphasizing the Tanis stuff (especially the love triangle) and cutting way back on the Kender and Gully Dwarf shit, though. It would probably make a better series though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah, translating Malazan to visual media would probably not work out too well. They're supposedly working on Black Company, and I'm sure that'll get butchered.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, translating Malazan to visual media would probably not work out too well. They're supposedly working on Black Company, and I'm sure that'll get butchered.
Most fantasy IPs do not translate well for many reasons, from hollywood suits fucking with things, directors or writers who are just using the IP to cash in, to just plain poor production values. Conan was (and is) considered good, but it strayed a lot from the source material of the books. Excalibur same way. LOTR suffered from just plain being too long towards the end of the trilogy. GoT, well no need to dogpile there. I cannot even think of another well liked fantasy IP that was well received and financially successful off the top of my head. Willow I guess maybe?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
The Twins trilogy is probably the best of that whole genre, but you cannot do it without the original trilogy in place. You could make it more mature (the original books) by emphasizing the Tanis stuff (especially the love triangle) and cutting way back on the Kender and Gully Dwarf shit, though. It would probably make a better series though.

I literally haven't read the books since I was 15 years old or so, so like everything that old I would probably have a drastically reduced opinion on reread, but the Twins series still stands out in my mind as one of the best and grittiest fantasy series I've read, and you're right that it couldn't exist as a series into of itself, it needs the precursor. Definitely plenty of ways to darken the original series. In any case, it's a big IP with a ton of great ideas, sub-plots, and character interactions and I'm still mystified why it's never been tapped. My assumption is some sort of licensing IP bullshit. I still remember having that McFarlane Dragonlance calendar on my wall for a few years before it got switched out for a lifesize Samantha Fox pinup.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Are all of you forgetting the remarkably forgettable animated Dragons of Autumn Twilight with Kiefer voicing Raistlin?

Last edited:
  • 1Great Review

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Most fantasy IPs do not translate well for many reasons, from hollywood suits fucking with things, directors or writers who are just using the IP to cash in, to just plain poor production values. Conan was (and is) considered good, but it strayed a lot from the source material of the books. Excalibur same way. LOTR suffered from just plain being too long towards the end of the trilogy. GoT, well no need to dogpile there. I cannot even think of another well liked fantasy IP that was well received and financially successful off the top of my head. Willow I guess maybe?
I was always surprised Roger Zelazny shit didn't get made into Movies. Amber series, Lord of Light, Last Defender of Camelot etc. More sci-fi than fantasy though.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

It's in preproduction-- but Wizards isn't playing ball.

Joe held the keys to making it happen. The screenplay was finished for live action adaptation of Dragonlance.

1612998799906.png

• 2Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Joe Manganiello was going to take Caramon.

1612999162079.png

WotC was hit by #MeToo hard and had problems with misogyny and other politics-- so a strong male-led movie was not something WotC could go forward with.

They might be able to unshelve it in another 2-3 years and brush up the script with a strong female lead.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
If WotC controlled the filming, no doubt it would be total ass. Transgender Draconians and gender fluid Tasslehoff.

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Joe Manganiello was going to take Caramon.

View attachment 334216

WotC was hit by #MeToo hard and had problems with misogyny and other politics-- so a strong male-led movie was not something WotC could go forward with.

They might be able to unshelve it in another 2-3 years and brush up the script with a strong female lead.

81171-5771945Fr.jpg

I’d be down for some Kit.

• 4Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 6 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
The Drizzt novels would do much better than Dragonlance. Solid party and less to try to explain to the audience. You could even just start with the first 3 books in the series. Drizzt is just more of a standout character than the Dragonlance ones.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The easiest way for a DND movie to get made right now is to not have a lead character. The party is the main character. I think that's something that has always failed with the genre. We don't play DND because of the dungeons OR the dragons. We play it because it's a good time hanging out with your friends doing crazy "you had to be there" things

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
The Drizzt novels would do much better than Dragonlance. Solid party and less to try to explain to the audience. You could even just start with the first 3 books in the series. Drizzt is just more of a standout character than the Dragonlance ones.

Yeah can't disagree here, a lot of the Drizzt novels would make great movies or a TV series. Hell, there's enough source material there to probably run ten seasons, easy.

Unfortunately, I honestly don't trust anybody these days to be able to make a fantasy/sci-fi movie/series that isn't some variety of SJW cringe. The SJW/Tranny craze is indeed everywhere, but it was particularly strong at infiltrating gaming and comics, two of the things I used to love most. Honestly it's so pathetic even your average 80's gaming nerd complete with trifocals and pocket protector would ridicule, shame, and bully the retards in the "gaming community" today.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
WotC is unlikely to license anything out because in the Woke era it's all about fostering your own Woke.

So a publisher wouldn't license a movie out and relinquish creative. WotC would remain on as producers-- making sure their Woke, and their apology was done their way.

Its a similar mentality that drove Rian Johnson to a lot of the creative decisions he made. And middle management suffers from in companies outside the entertainment industry. Everyone wants to do it better. There is a hold my zima culture with the whole woke movement. I just can't see WotC staying off the production credits and making a movie in this climate. Maybe if parent Hasbro overstepped them and dictated it but that's breaking chain of command. Wizard's doesn't have that kind of corporate structure. That's something Disney would do to Lucas Film, not Hasbro. The thought of Hasbro threatening WotC if it doesn't license a trilogy out and make them a few hundred M is just something that's beyond the pale.

Last edited:

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lmfao at you guys with Drizzt

Drow Lives Matter would end up trending. The skin color shit in the original books was already overdone, imagine that shit reimagined in 2021.

• 1Like