Dungeons & Dragons (2022)

Chris

Potato del Grande
To me D&D is Baldur's Gate.

You have a grounded fantasy world like Game of Thrones, but then you enter some wizard's tower and it's full of weird shit and pulsating resonating spells in weird colours spoken in Latin and you barely escape with your life. Go into an Elf city and suddenly it's Lord of the Rings high fantasy. Then in the finale you enter a God's insane realm and topple them from their throne. It escalates.

The original D&D movie I saw back in the day and hated, this looks much the same, it's just hollywood tame weird stuff and action from the start that is not relatable at all.

Even Lord of the Rings starts in The Shire and keep the weird elf stuff to a middle portion of each movie, with crazy only at the end.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Show me where in the monster manual it says anything about the breath weapon of a black dragon leaving behind a persistent ground effect?
I mean, for the sake of gameplay, I don't think every possible realistic modifier is included in breath weapons. If a dragon bathed the ground in fire, I would assume whatever's flammable is burning, and what isn't flammable is at least hot. Ice breath could make shit slippery or brittle. As a DM you could decide to include that, but the RAW in 5e are meant to be simple and conducive to quicker gameplay.

• 1Like

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This doesn't look horrible but not great either.

They are sitting on Dragonlance which could be the next LOTR but with better characters.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Show me where in the monster manual it says anything about the breath weapon of a black dragon leaving behind a persistent ground effect?
Oh no, Gav. You missed this save vs rules lawyering. You haven been silenced.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
23 seconds into the preview.. black dragon spews acid, the ground is steaming from it but horse and people run though it without any problem or reaction.
Instantly self neutralizing acid? or mildly warm steaming water on a cold day?

I know, insert "neeeeerd! .jpg" here :)
But it bugged me enough to unlurk a moment. Thumbs down, but maybe they will suprise with a good movie anyways even though they have no D&D nerd consultant on the production team.
I thought the same shit when I saw it.

Caliane

To me D&D is Baldur's Gate.

You have a grounded fantasy world like Game of Thrones, but then you enter some wizard's tower and it's full of weird shit and pulsating resonating spells in weird colours spoken in Latin and you barely escape with your life. Go into an Elf city and suddenly it's Lord of the Rings high fantasy. Then in the finale you enter a God's insane realm and topple them from their throne. It escalates.

The original D&D movie I saw back in the day and hated, this looks much the same, it's just hollywood tame weird stuff and action from the start that is not relatable at all.

Even Lord of the Rings starts in The Shire and keep the weird elf stuff to a middle portion of each movie, with crazy only at the end.
you don't have to be.

I mean, I will fully admit the vast majority DO keep the magic to low level shit. From Conan, to LotR, to GoT, to Dragonslayer, to Willow, to Beast slayer, etc.. on and on. usually even when the protag or their partner is a mage, they are inept.
But, we also have Harry Potter, which is kindof sort of ion the middle. lots of magic. but the rules are loose and wild. so, no one ever really uses magic to solve problems sensibly.

Xmen/avengers... xmen/avengers is about the only place with lots of magic powers. and people actually using them constantly. (I'm counting super powers as magic here, along with the actual "magic" superpowers".

it CAN be done.. its just 99% of the time its done poorly or not even tried. obviously back in the 70/80s budget and FX as a large factor for keeping it low key.

spronk

FPS noob
enjoyed the trailer. Things i liked

1. it doesn't have the ugliest people on the planet as the cast. Jesus Christ nowadays thats like an automatic 5/10 after the new GoT and LOTR shows with casts from People of Walmart

2. its tone is goofy/dumb. I am so fucking tired of grimdark EVERYTHING IS DOOMED "this is actually an allegory for global warming / genocide" modern bullshit. Idiots stumbling around getting lucky is what the 80s and 90s movies were all about

3. I saw a mimic treasure box I think? cool! Also Hugh Grant as a wizard?

4. apparently the director also did Game Night (Jason Bateman, Rachel McAdams) which was a hilarious movie

Now will I go to theaters to see this trash? lol fuck no. But 2 months later i'll watch at home and enjoy.

Last edited:
  • 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I was fully prepared to hate this, but....I am actually interested?

This could potentially, maybe be not to bad

• 1Like

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
This is going to be the same level shit show the new Amazon Rings of Power is.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Now will I go to theaters to see this trash? lol fuck no. But 2 months later i'll watch at home and enjoy.
Yeah, I'm not paying a cent for this. However, I'll pirate the fuck out of it to see if there's an ounce of hilarity to squeeze out of it. Similar to Irons' performance in the other movie.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's cool that they're actually putting in iconic D&D monsters like owlbears, mimics and displacer beasts and not just generic shit, and that the monster effects look pretty decent.

Other than that, it's probably poop, and what isn't poop is just a ripoff of Critical Role.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Also Chris Pine is just LARPing Captain Kirk roleplaying a Bard?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
enjoyed the trailer. Things i liked

1. it doesn't have the ugliest people on the planet as the cast. Jesus Christ nowadays thats like an automatic 5/10 after the new GoT and LOTR shows with casts from People of Walmart

2. its tone is goofy/dumb. I am so fucking tired of grimdark EVERYTHING IS DOOMED "this is actually an allegory for global warming / genocide" modern bullshit. Idiots stumbling around getting lucky is what the 80s and 90s movies were all about

3. I saw a mimic treasure box I think? cool! Also Hugh Grant as a wizard?

4. apparently the director also did Game Night (Jason Bateman, Rachel McAdams) which was a hilarious movie

1. Heh. I was thinking the same thing!
2. Looks like they went overboard on the goofy from that trailer. Don't mind humor, but this looks like too much.
3. Best part of the trailer! Was that Hugh Grant???
4. Never saw it. Good flick?

Definitely would go to the movies for this, for one reason only...I want them to keep making fantasy flicks like this. But....ya. Really wouldn't see this at theatres otherwise.

• 2Solidarity

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Also Chris Pine is just LARPing Captain Kirk roleplaying a Bard?
Kirk obviously wasn't running around with a lute or anything, but he 100% was roleplaying a bard at all times

• 1Worf

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I will see this because I love these shitty types of movies, most likely not in theaters though. Plus I'm a Forgotten Realms fanboy and the classic D&D monsters look great. This should have been The Companions of the Hall though. If you are gonna throw money at this, go all the way.