Dungeons & Dragons (2022)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I remember as a kid some of the other kids didn't like Taran Wanderer. Actually had a guy tell me to skip it. I think it might be my favorite of the bunch. The main character goes around learning tradeskills and literally turns into a man during that book.
It is far and away the best book of the five imo, even if it is a brief step away from the high fantasy of the rest of the series. The Taran we see in The High King is a very different character from the Taran we saw in the first three books, to the point that Eilonwy even says she hardly recognizes him at the start of the book, and it just wouldn't feel right without following along on his journey to manhood.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
5 stars here. So much classic D&D and Forgotten Realms lore.

Wife loved it and has zero D&D knowledge. Walking out of there she wants Marvel style sequels. Cannot disagree. 👍

If this starts a D&D Extended Universe done right, it would be awesome.

• 5Like
  • 1I Came
Reactions: 5 users

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Only gripe - I didn't see a dedication to Gary Gygax or Ed Greenwood. They are the Stan Lee and Steve Ditko of D&D and the Realms.

Calling it "Hasbro's D&D" is a fuckin joke. 🤡

FYI Ed Greenwood (creator of Forgotten Realms) has a YouTube channel and he very much enjoyed the movie:

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
This was pretty fun. I kind of wish some DND universe would overtake the marvel bullshit...

…for about 10 years until we’re all sick and tired of DND movies.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Only gripe - I didn't see a dedication to Gary Gygax or Ed Greenwood. They are the Stan Lee and Steve Ditko of D&D and the Realms.

FYI Ed Greenwood (creator of Forgotten Realms) has a YouTube channel and he very much enjoyed the movie:

every single day we are getting further and further away from gygax' and greenwood's dnd and closer to hasbro's dnd, so it makes sense they would call it that

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

You forgot someone.

1680931038948.png

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It is far and away the best book of the five imo, even if it is a brief step away from the high fantasy of the rest of the series. The Taran we see in The High King is a very different character from the Taran we saw in the first three books, to the point that Eilonwy even says she hardly recognizes him at the start of the book, and it just wouldn't feel right without following along on his journey to manhood.

Maybe someone should do a Prydain Chronicles thread in the Book House, IDK. Lot of stuff from that series to get into.

This jogged my memory about the beginning of The High King and now I remember it a bit more. First book Taran is a kid, second he's a kid on an adventure with a sense of responsibility, third he's a hormonal teenager feeling mad about other guys paying attention to Eilonwy, fourth he's learning how the world works and getting older, fifth he's a man who has the potential to save the realm. Guy goes through very clear stages.

Eilonwy was such a great character too.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Would this movie be interesting at all for someone that has never played D&D? Like... is the movie decent enough to keep your attention if you don't have a history with the subject matter?

j00t

Would this movie be interesting at all for someone that has never played D&D? Like... is the movie decent enough to keep your attention if you don't have a history with the subject matter?
really depends on how much they like fantasy. there are A LOT of references to dnd but nothing hinges on needing to know what those references are.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider

The movie felt like a Marvel movie in a fantasy setting. Would be fine for someone that has never played DND.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Saw it last night . I liked it a lot. Wife liked it more than jw4(action gun movie is not her thing). Definite sequel potential. The fat dragon was hilarious. I loved the paladin. Watching the reunion between hulga and her ex I leaned over and went hey is that Bradley Cooper? my wife had no idea who he was. I mean 5 minute cameo in a end movie?

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Saw this and thought it was pretty good. Can't wait to see it again on digital when I can try and catch more stuff.

• 1Like

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Saw it today, liked it a lot. I loved looking for all the little D&D references, and my wife who doesn't know much about it (she's a fan of fantasy though) enjoyed it too. Going in, I was expecting Michelle Rodriguez to play the same character she always does, but actually ended up impressed with her here, a kind of quiet barbarian with some actual emotion, not trying to act tough all the time. Actually I was pretty impressed with the way they did the dialogue overall, I guess I would just describe it as being very fitting for the setting and characters?

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Saw it today, liked it a lot. I loved looking for all the little D&D references, and my wife who doesn't know much about it (she's a fan of fantasy though) enjoyed it too. Going in, I was expecting Michelle Rodriguez to play the same character she always does, but actually ended up impressed with her here, a kind of quiet barbarian with some actual emotion, not trying to act tough all the time. Actually I was pretty impressed with the way they did the dialogue overall, I guess I would just describe it as being very fitting for the setting and characters?
Nice to see Rodriguez bulked up a little for the role too.

• 1Like

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
I liked it. I haven't played in 20 years but I still caught on to some of the references. Overall it was a well done adventure movie. I'm looking forward to see what they do with spinoffs and sequels.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

probably going to end up being a flop. 63% drop from last weekend and fell below wick and air while being on more screens.

Cybsled

Mostly bad timing on release. The Mario movie is going to poach a lot of the family
audience

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>

Maybe. I'd never actually played DnD until last year. But so much of DnD is everywhere that I still saw a lot of it without realizing the source. So if you're into fantasy at all or RPGs it'll all seem familiar to you.

Bodhy

Karen
<Banned>
Actually, if you played Baldurs Gate religiously in your youth you would basically know a lot of the lore. It takes place around the same locations (Baldurs Gate is south of Waterdeep, the main city in the story. It was Waterdeep, right?)

The Red Wizards of Thay are one of the mentioned factions in Baldurs Gate, and I nostalgia'd upon their mention. I don't recall them being evil cunts, though. It's been 20 years since I played Baldurs Gate and I was a wee lad.

Good ol' Faerun, though. It started my obsession with fantasy worlds and lore and poring over the details on fantasy maps.

• 1Like

j00t

I don't recall them being evil cunts, though.
red wizards of thay are absolutely evil and always have been. szass tam has been the leader, as far as i know since it's inception, and that dude is OG evil wizard.