Dungeons & Dragons (2022)

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
One of those movies that doesn’t have any right being as good as it is. This was a lot of fun, had genuinely heartfelt moments, and comedy that was well-times vs. the modern marvel shit. Didn’t want to see it in theaters because I didn’t want to give Hasbro too much money, but this was a perfect fun movie night at home.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I liked it. Was a fun movie and the characters were likable as well. This movie actually understood what the Willow TV series missed the mark on in terms of having a more lighthearted fantasy comedy with the occasional serious moment

I also liked how the high level Uber paladin didn’t carry their group the entire movie even though he could have. He basically did a dungeon run carry to help get some noobs some loot

I would 100% watch future movies if they ever made them
Xenk was the NPC that the DM plays for a short arc. He comes around, kicks butt, dumps some lore, then screws off to do his own thing while the players continue on their quest.

It's super subtle, but I thought it was a really nice touch that showed they understood the typical DND campaign

• 4Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I thought it was a really nice touch that showed they understood the typical DND campaign
They already slam dunked that with the DM dicking the group out of their questions on the first speak with dead cast, that was incredible. I don't really give a fuck about Drizzt because I got sick and tired of Salvatore's repetitive writing, but I hate the fact that DEI faggotry is why they decided to steer clear of the character and come up with an original.

That being said, Xenk was incredible. They did such a fantastic job capturing the way most tabletop players portray a paladin, and while the whole "I feel like I'm watching a gaming session" feeling came and went throughout the movie, it was pretty much going full blast the entire time Xenk was on screen. This movie had no business being as fun and entertaining as it was in 2023, especially considering the current state of WotC.

• 4Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
They already slam dunked that with the DM dicking the group out of their questions on the first speak with dead cast, that was incredible. I don't really give a fuck about Drizzt because I got sick and tired of Salvatore's repetitive writing, but I hate the fact that DEI faggotry is why they decided to steer clear of the character and come up with an original.

That being said, Xenk was incredible. They did such a fantastic job capturing the way most tabletop players portray a paladin, and while the whole "I feel like I'm watching a gaming session" feeling came and went throughout the movie, it was pretty much going full blast the entire time Xenk was on screen. This movie had no business being as fun and entertaining as it was in 2023, especially considering the current state of WotC.
I wouldn't mind them doing Canticle if not Drizzt. The Avatar Trilogy was good too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
There's 0 chance current era WOTC ever greenlights dark elves in a movie.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I know this will probably get some groans but I would love to see the first movie of the D&DU start with Drizzt as a youth in training with Zakk and following through all the way to the Companions of the Hall.

I don't know if R. A. Salvatore will ever go for it, though.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
There's 0 chance current era WOTC ever greenlights dark elves in a movie.

• 1Like

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
There's 0 chance current era WOTC ever greenlights dark elves in a movie

You're right.
ryan-reynolds-goddammit.gif

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

I wonder if that would extend to driders and Lloth and all that as well. Would kinda suck, could do so fun shit with that.

• 1Like

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
DDO recently removed wildmen because they were problematic.

problematiclol.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
This was much better than I expected. I'd even say it's enjoyable.

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Dark elves are problematic now? They're fuckin' purple!

Anyway, I watched the 2000 D&D movie and it was pretty awful, but kind of entertaining at the same time in that I couldn't look away from it.

Took a look at the two sequels which were direct to DVD. It seems like each one significantly improved on the one before it in story, while losing some of the over-the-top craziness that made the first entertaining. So basically the first is the most entertaining, but also the worst movie. Just a total car crash. Then the third is the second most entertaining because it's actually a good movie, so it's at the other end of the entertaining spectrum. Then the second one is just kind of there, not as good as the third and not as entertainingly awful as the first. It seems pretty bland. 1 and 3 are worth checking out though, for different reasons.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Well they weren't purple originally... they were completely black. There's also the issue where 'dark' = 'evil' to contend with. As people who were completely underground and couldn't stand to be in the sun at all the Drow should have been completely albino in nature --- but that's not the direction they went with.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My wife and i loved the dragon scene. mostly because one of our cats- tobin- is fat like that. (tobin was a hit by car kitten from the Tobin Bridge in Boston-she was tossed outta a car,- she WAS my wife's clinic cat and she did have damage to her pineal? gland due to the hit by car so while she is fully grown and ~4yrs old, she is the size of a ~6 month old kitten...just FAT-she got spoiled at the vet clinic.)

movie was way better than i expected (like i said previously)
You can’t describe a cat like that and not post a pic.

• 2Solidarity

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
This was actually pretty enjoyable and I figured it'd be dogshit. The Paladin dude is pretty much every fucking Paladin character I've ever done pen + paper with. The straight line walking bit had me dying.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well they weren't purple originally... they were completely black. There's also the issue where 'dark' = 'evil' to contend with. As people who were completely underground and couldn't stand to be in the sun at all the Drow should have been completely albino in nature --- but that's not the direction they went with.
Drow have been various shades of purple for so long now, that they could easily makes them light purple. A very pasty/pallor light purple might be kinda cool, but yea, they would still get flak for calling them "dark", by the usual suspects. Maybe they could make "dark elves" the slur that uplanders use, and it's very hurtful to the Drow, only uttered by ignorant bigots!

I am not into much DnD outside of video games, but I thought I read something on the current Drow having overthrown the Lolth worshipers and exiled the evil spider worshiping slavers? I don't see anything like that on the wiki though, so dunno where it's from (Baulder's Gate 3, maybe).