Dungeons & Dragons - New & Old

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The fluff is what sells the books to people currently not in a group. That's why I stopped buying them. I didn't want to pay for blocks and blocks of stats .

Grimsark

The fluff is what sells the books to people currently not in a group. That's why I stopped buying them. I didn't want to pay for blocks and blocks of stats .
I like the separation. If I am interested in fluff, I buy fluff products. And visa verse. The last few I bought were theEd Greenwood Presents: Elminsters Forgotten Realms, andThe Grand History of the Realms.Really liked both.

edit: And no, I am not a big FR fan... But I have made significant use of many of its pre-designed locales. And based a few campaigns in it, with my own customizations. So I enjoy the fluff.

Grimsark

Just received my PHB... So far I am very impressed.

Its hard for me to understand the justifications for most of the animosity I've seen from others that received their copies early. But I will find out more as I begin to try to recreate/rewrite some of my earlier adventures in 5e.

Its about now that I wish they had just released all three core books in the same month... /grumble

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I bought a copy week at my local game store and it's been my bathroom book. I haven't gone through it closely so my impressions are mostly surface but...

It looks very, very good. I love the amount of options that each class has and casters seem kept well in check with many of the problem spells tackled. Iadorehow caster multiclassing works. It's awesome. My core complaint right now is that 4th edition wasn't nearly this polished at launch. Where was all this effort when you guys were making the last edition?

Minor complaints are that each spell description should also state what classes can cast it and at what levels. I have no idea why that information is missing. If I'm reading through spells and want to know who has something I have to go flip through the pages of spells by class rather than just having it right there. Also the cover art is kinda lame.

If I had a group of people at my disposal I'd start a game up.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea just got mine here, brief breeze through it seems good.

And the print quality really impressed me.

Won't be reading too in depth til next week though. (will be my night read while house buying)

Grimsark

Finely a D&D version of the Bard I can appreciate! And is it just me, or do a few of the Cleric Domains feel half baked?

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Finely a D&D version of the Bard I can appreciate! And is it just me, or do a few of the Cleric Domains feel half baked?
Figured the Domains are likely only lightly fleshed out since they're for a generic world and that the eventual world books will elaborate on them - don't recall any of the recent editions having divine people well fleshed out previous to their worldbook defining the pantheon.

Grimsark

'Tides of Chaos' has to be the best Wild Magic aspect I have seen in any D&D edition to date...
rrr_img_74095.jpg

Figured the Domains are likely only lightly fleshed out since they're for a generic world and that the eventual world books will elaborate on them - don't recall any of the recent editions having divine people well fleshed out previous to their worldbook defining the pantheon.
Yeah, that would make sense.

Grimsark

They finely fixed multi-classing, and took a large bit of inspiration from the Trailblazers optional rules for 3.5e.

I have not found anything that I can say is blatantly flawed. The universal spell slot tables, proficiency bonuses, and stat based saves, have filled in most of the holes in the number mechanic. The use of Rituals, and optional feats, combined with the multitude of intra-class options fixes much of the lack of flavor in vanilla. While the return of an actual non-class specific spell list, where spell power is tied to slot and character level, rather than class level, fixes hybrid and multi-class viability issues.

I dunno if I have missed anything, but either way, 5e may just end up being the ultimate version of D&D. If not, then it will definitely have the legs that 3e had, at a minimum.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
'Tides of Chaos' has to be the best Wild Magic aspect I have seen in any D&D edition to date...
rrr_img_74095.jpg

Yeah, that would make sense.
Yup limited but its pretty normal most of the time this is the sort of thing that fleshes out later with campaign specific stuff. The fire domain though is pretty interesting though. Instead of turn undead they can do at level 3 I think 2d10 damage to all hostile creatures in range at lower levels that is just so much better than turn undead very nice cheap AOE even at higher levels to hit anything that needs hitting in range.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Picked up the Monster Manual.

I've played a couple games of 5E and I think it's pretty fun. In other news, I'm starting a 4E campaign. This is not in any way an indictment of 5E. Just doesn't have the same pull as 4th.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
have such a soft spot, and a hard dick for ravenloft. Soth muh Wakandan
Yep, Ravenloft book series was so good because all of the stories had the running theme of time-travel moments where they could have stopped their own future but, tragically, chose not to.