E3 2016

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Do you guys actually buy stuff like a WiiU? I'd feel like an idiot walking out of a store with one of those, even moreso than if I bought an xboner
No, and I wish Nintendo would just get out of console hardware. They're terrible at it, and it just means that what few good games they do have I never get to play because I refuse to buy their shit-tier hardware. This Zelda actually looks pretty good, but unless the NX throws out everything they've done in the past 20+ years it doesn't matter.

I'm not sure handhelds are any better off either. The 3DS is even more of a sad fucking joke compared to the Vita than the WiiU is compared to PS4/Xbone, and still the wrong one won in terms of game support and units sold.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I just hope my Xbox 360 still works so that I can play the new Zelda. Strange to see Nintendo making games for an old console like that!

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Do you guys actually buy stuff like a WiiU? I'd feel like an idiot walking out of a store with one of those, even moreso than if I bought an xboner
I never had a Wii much less a WiiU, that said, I do wish Nintendo would get there shit together and be competitive in the market just to have more choices in the market worth looking at. At this point tho they are a laughing stock.

Vorph

Weapons breaking every single fight seems like the worst durability system ever devised.

spronk

FPS noob
i presume thats just starter gear and it gets better with master gear having no durability.

looks like a fun game, but nothing i'm super hyped about. Been so many open world RPGs now that are beyond amazing and even more coming out in the next 12 months that Nintendo's version of the genre isn't that interesting. Still, if they launch the NX with this, Mario Kart, some sort of Donkey Kong, and another game or two I'd probably buy one. I definitely won't rebuy a Wii U to play this game.

Microsoft has also dropped the current xbox one MSRP to $279 (not the new S, the "old" current one) effective today. Getting to the point where just attaching an xbox one to every TV as a media player isn't that pricey.

Vorph

Sadly, both the 'bone and the PS4 are really shitty media players compared to the previous generation consoles. About the only thing they offer over a newer 'smart' TV is the blu-ray player. (And to be clear, most smart TVs fail miserably at playing content from a personal media library too, whether legal or not. If you want a real media player, you have to keep an old console around, build a HTPC, or get a FireTV and mod it.)

spronk

FPS noob
Red Dead Redemption 2 was going to be shown at the end of the Sony Conference, but the cut trailer apparently had a scene where the player walks into a saloon and starts shooting people and it was decided that was inappropriate to show. RDR2 will be announced on June 19th

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Red Dead Redemption 2 was going to be shown at the end of the Sony Conference, but the cut trailer apparently had a scene where the player walks into a saloon and starts shooting people and it was decided that was inappropriate to show. RDR2 will be announced on June 19th
That's stupid if that happened.

Also, the new Zelda looks horrible.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Well, it needs to be able to run on their hardware, so stylized it is.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
Eh, if you need a free-roaming realistic game there are plenty out there. Realistic Zelda would look like shit and be completely off-brand, so I'm glad they are not going that route

I will personally be getting this game; even Skyrim, which is arguably the most successful free-roaming game right now, lacks a lot of what this game is bringing to the table. Being able to use your environment, intuitively, to take down enemies, solve puzzles, and navigate is something sorely missing in most sandboxes. In Skyrim, you use whatever your main weapon type is to kill things repeatedly until you beat the game; sure you can switch.. but why? The extent of puzzles in Skyrim is turning animal stones in different configurations and the shouts you get are rarely ever required or even necessary. In Zelda, there looks be be many scenarios where you don't want to just run up to your enemy and start slashing your sword. In most cases, it's faster to be intuitive to look around and use what's available.

But.. to each their own. Like I said, there are plenty and will be countless more realistic sandbox sims out for every console, so people can take their pick.

Trailer for anyone interested:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Source on this? So fucken stupid if true.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Source on this? So fucken stupid if true.
I'm a pretty cold dude, but even I can see why they would pull a trailer like that after what happened in Orlando. It's still the biggest news event out there right now.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Eh, if you need a free-roaming realistic game there are plenty out there. Realistic Zelda would look like shit and be completely off-brand, so I'm glad they are not going that route

I will personally be getting this game; even Skyrim, which is arguably the most successful free-roaming game right now, lacks a lot of what this game is bringing to the table. Being able to use your environment, intuitively, to take down enemies, solve puzzles, and navigate is something sorely missing in most sandboxes. In Skyrim, you use whatever your main weapon type is to kill things repeatedly until you beat the game; sure you can switch.. but why? The extent of puzzles in Skyrim is turning animal stones in different configurations and the shouts you get are rarely ever required or even necessary. In Zelda, there looks be be many scenarios where you don't want to just run up to your enemy and start slashing your sword. In most cases, it's faster to be intuitive to look around and use what's available.

But.. to each their own. Like I said, there are plenty and will be countless more realistic sandbox sims out for every console, so people can take their pick.

Trailer for anyone interested:
Did we play the same Skyrim? There are plenty of times (Without mods) in Vanilla Skyrim where I killed plenty of people by using various tools/traps laid out in the environment. Especially in dungeons.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
How the fuck could anyone hate this Zelda's art direction? Not everything has to be gritty and realistic.

Also, I think people are a little hard on Nintendo. Sure, they didn't do much to distinguish the WiiU from its predecessor, but it wasn't terrible. I don't know anyone about anyone else, but I'm excited to see how they recover.

spronk

FPS noob
Farpoint will be one of the launch PS-VR games I believe

you can buy this optional gun VR controller thingie which lets you use just this and no controller/move controller. controller looks kinda cheap
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/...laystation-vr/

CfABn47.jpg

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
Did we play the same Skyrim? There are plenty of times (Without mods) in Vanilla Skyrim where I killed plenty of people by using various tools/traps laid out in the environment. Especially in dungeons.
Don't get me wrong, Skyrim was an amazing game and one of my favorites; but, in terms of physics-based interactions, tool-usage, and navigation I feel like what I've seen from the Zelda demos already eclipses the traps from Skyrim. Just from demos today I've seen:

• Link burning grass
  • pushing rocks down hills and crushing enemies
  • using a giant leaf tool to blow raft sails
  • chopping down trees and aiming the falling tree to either make bridges or fall and roll into enemies
  • lighting barrels/crates/wooden objects on fire
  • lighting explosive barrels on fire and rolling them into enemies
  • rolling bombs into rocks/enemies, rolling bombs through places Link can't go
  • cube bombs that don't roll, for specific scenarios where rolling is problematic
  • parasailing
  • sneaking up to and taming wild horses and riding them
  • freezing damage in cold areas / countered by equipping warmer clothes
  • weapons can be thrown and deal damage (like throwing an almost destroyed sword at an enemy)
  • weapons can be magnetically used to attack from a distance using magneto tool
  • items can be levitated and dropped to create new pathways/hurt enemies/solve puzzles
  • Link's shield can be used as a snowboard in wintry climates
  • Link can climb on almost any surface given you have enough stamina to reach a rest spot
  • there is an audio indicator indicating how noisy you are being that determines whether enemies can hear you, with option to sneak/find less noisy ground
  • wind that affects your arrows and other thrown objects
  • being able to create ice blocks from water
  • each enemy drops their weapons and each weapon has different interactions and attack styles
  • enemies react to noises so you can throw a bomb to explode near enemies and they'll act surprised and run over to it
  • different enemy cycles dependent on time of day. Skeletons appearing at night and goblins going to sleep

I imagine there are many more, considering they only demoed the Great Plateau which is like 1 of the 20 areas on the map. Most games have only a handful of these interactions and often times they feel like one-off scripted events.

Again, Skyrim was great, but imo Zelda definitely brings something new to the table with the level of interactivity it affords.

spronk

FPS noob
its unfortunate that zelda only has a few cutscenes voiced and all the interactions with NPCs in the world is text only with the typical "nintendo grunting", I find that super immersion breaking nowadays