E3 2018 Hype and Train-Wreck Thread (Place your bets!)

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Will we ever get another L4D? :(

Earthfall console release in july - looking forward to it myself, that aside i personally am happy with MS conference this year, PS4 was good but as i never touch my ps pro and dont own a nintendo system im leaning towards MS as the winner.

Cybsled

Given how Valve (doesn't) develop games, best you can expect for a L4D sequel is L4D: The Card Game.

• 2Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Fadaar

That guy
valve rakes in billions by just being the middle man with a massive server farm, why would they waste money developing games?

i'm being sarcastic but it really is the truth

spronk

FPS noob
I wasn't expecting anything but I was a bit disappointed there were no hardware announcements at E3, its weird to me how both Sony and Microsoft are completely ceding the handheld space to Nintendo and mobiles. Maybe it doesn't make $$ sense but a portable xbox or PSN machine I think would be pretty neat, holds a microSD card and plays downloadable games. Maybe the XBox and PS4 hardware isn't just quite there yet for size/cost.

Game wise super disappointing, this is probably the last or second to last year before the next cycle of PS5/XB2 and only Spiderman was the big first party game coming out this year. Thats just weird. Even of the multiplats, I'm only super excited about RDR 2. AC Odyssey, BO4, Battlefield 5, all are meh. God of War, Hitman 2, RDR 2, Spiderman, and maybe Forza Horizon 4 and Smash (for those into both) are the only 10/10 games of 2018? Seems pretty weird considering 2017 gave us Persona 5, HZD, BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Fortnite, PUBG, Hellblade, Cuphead, Nier, Uncharted Lost Legacy, RE7. Hopefully I'm missing a few in my list.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I wasn't expecting anything but I was a bit disappointed there were no hardware announcements at E3, its weird to me how both Sony and Microsoft are completely ceding the handheld space to Nintendo and mobiles. Maybe it doesn't make $$ sense but a portable xbox or PSN machine I think would be pretty neat, holds a microSD card and plays downloadable games. Maybe the XBox and PS4 hardware isn't just quite there yet for size/cost.

Game wise super disappointing, this is probably the last or second to last year before the next cycle of PS5/XB2 and only Spiderman was the big first party game coming out this year. Thats just weird. Even of the multiplats, I'm only super excited about RDR 2. AC Odyssey, BO4, Battlefield 5, all are meh. God of War, Hitman 2, RDR 2, Spiderman, and maybe Forza Horizon 4 and Smash (for those into both) are the only 10/10 games of 2018? Seems pretty weird considering 2017 gave us Persona 5, HZD, BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Fortnite, PUBG, Hellblade, Cuphead, Nier, Uncharted Lost Legacy, RE7. Hopefully I'm missing a few in my list.

the issue is a portable PS4/Xbox would have maybe a 20min battery life(and that's it weighing about 3pds) battery's are not even close to being able to run these machines at half decent times right now(maybe when carbon nano batteries release, but were years from that size of them, current carbon nano's are used as "charge" points for solar system usually before the converter.) honestly I'd just let Nintendo have the portable market, there digging there own hole because the hardware is so limited.

I wouldn't even "announce" a new system till the hardware is actually ready, I bet both MS and Sony next generations are gonna be 100% 4k +HDR

• 1Picard

Stave

Potato del Grande
I'm a strictly PC gamer, but this E3 made me realize I should eventually get a PS4. None of the other consoles gave me any urge to buy them. PS4 has TLoU2, Left Behind, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, KH3, and Spider-Man coming out, not to mention God of War, Uncharted 4, Shadow of the Colossus, and probably other great exclusives already. I'd say off this fact alone they won E3 this year for me.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I'm a strictly PC gamer, but this E3 made me realize I should eventually get a PS4. None of the other consoles gave me any urge to buy them. PS4 has TLoU2, Left Behind, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, KH3, and Spider-Man coming out, not to mention God of War, Uncharted 4, Shadow of the Colossus, and probably other great exclusives already. I'd say off this fact alone they won E3 this year for me.
Horizon: Zero Dawn

• 6Like
  • 2Barf
Reactions: 7 users

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
the issue is a portable PS4/Xbox would have maybe a 20min battery life(and that's it weighing about 3pds) battery's are not even close to being able to run these machines at half decent times right now(maybe when carbon nano batteries release, but were years from that size of them, current carbon nano's are used as "charge" points for solar system usually before the converter.) honestly I'd just let Nintendo have the portable market, there digging there own hole because the hardware is so limited.

I wouldn't even "announce" a new system till the hardware is actually ready, I bet both MS and Sony next generations are gonna be 100% 4k +HDR

One other issue is mobile isn't x86.

Why would I buy a $600 mobile gaming thing that is inferior to my phone's hardware? My phone has more (double? triple?) computing power than a PS4 but developers are giving us this Elder Scrolls Swipe trash. The big publishers know there's tons of money in mobile and it's from cash/shop/lootboxes/microtransactions not AAA $60 boxes.

Even if MS/Sony sold their mobiles at a loss, a 5-7 year product cycle kills it. People get new phones every 1 or 2 years with better screens (who wants to play 1st party games on a 4th-rate screen?) and better performance each year.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
MS going to try and address mobile w/ Scarlett to some degree ("console-quality gaming on any device"), but that's an uphill battle to sell people on streaming. We'll see what they do to try and innovate there and convince people it's something they want to do.

Fedor

<Banned>
NNJs99x.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
One other issue is mobile isn't x86.

Why would I buy a $600 mobile gaming thing that is inferior to my phone's hardware? My phone has more (double? triple?) computing power than a PS4 but developers are giving us this Elder Scrolls Swipe trash. The big publishers know there's tons of money in mobile and it's from cash/shop/lootboxes/microtransactions not AAA $60 boxes.

Even if MS/Sony sold their mobiles at a loss, a 5-7 year product cycle kills it. People get new phones every 1 or 2 years with better screens (who wants to play 1st party games on a 4th-rate screen?) and better performance each year.

Laptops can do it, but the issue still comes with battery problems, most laptops have profiles for when the system is plugged-in , or running off battery. It just can't be done right now till battery's get much better.

Streaming solutions are not a good idea either, too much latency, Data Caps cause US providers are a bunch of whiny bitchs, and well very limited access to real high-speed internet for most..

Last edited:

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Laptops can do it, but the issue still comes with battery problems, most laptops have profiles for when the system is plugged-in , or running off battery. It just can't be done right now till battery's get much better.

Streaming solutions are not a good idea either, too much latency, Data Caps cause US providers are a bunch of whiny fucktards and well very limited access to real high-speed internet for most..

FTFY.

• 1Like

Szlia

I suspect handheld consoles are over. The main market was kids and now kids have smartphones.

Microsoft never touched this market and will not start now, Nintendo released several revisions of the 3DS, but the latest models (New 3DS standard and XL) have been discontinued almost a year ago while the older models are still in production and no successor is in sight (the handheld line being probably replaced by the hybrid Switch). As for Sony, it's not exactly clear to me how they rate the Vita from a business stand point, but the thing is 6 years old now, nothing about it was even mentioned at E3 that I could see and there is not even a hint of a successor. As I said, I suspect handheld consoles are over.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I suspect handheld consoles are over. The main market was kids and now kids have smartphones.

Microsoft never touched this market and will not start now, Nintendo released several revisions of the 3DS, but the latest models (New 3DS standard and XL) have been discontinued almost a year ago while the older models are still in production and no successor is in sight (the handheld line being probably replaced by the hybrid Switch). As for Sony, it's not exactly clear to me how they rate the Vita from a business stand point, but the thing is 6 years old now, nothing about it was even mentioned at E3 that I could see and there is not even a hint of a successor. As I said, I suspect handheld consoles are over.

They stopped Production of the Vita carts, like last month ? It's probably dead to them the last few games that have been worked on are probably releasing this year, other then digital only but who knows how many studios are still actively making games for it... Sony Ends Production Of PlayStation Vita Carts

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Coveted winner of 0 GOTY awards.

Yeah was wondering why Hellblade got the narrative win then I played it and undsrstood.

Also load of shit about the Vita not getting a upgrade. Tearaway, persona, and gravity rush was so much fun.

Last edited:

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

PS4 was my first console since having a PS2 ages ago, and i'm really happy with it.

• 1Solidarity

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Don't forget Bloodborne for exclusives even most non dark souls players, like it.. it is that fucking good.

• 1Like