E3 2018 Hype and Train-Wreck Thread (Place your bets!)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob
All the conferences were shit in E3 this year, Sony didn't do any better than Microsoft or Nintendo here.

It's a lose-lose unless you're oblivious. Multiplats win, which means PC is still the only real gaming machine to bother getting

Two of the biggest have no announced PC release date, although I'd expect it eventually but probably 1+ year later - RDR2 and Kingdom Hearts III

I'd put the edge for 2018 still towards the PS4 Pro due to Spiderman, God of War, and Yakuza but I think in 2019 Microsoft could start winning again if Days Gone turns out to suck, TLOU2 is 2020, Crackdown 3 ends up being great and Microsoft has new games to talk about.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Didn't they show Mario Party? That'll get some play at our house. Saw something on Twitter about it being able to use multiple Switches... but we really need some help w/ a family digital library if that's going to happen - and that's a pipe dream of course.

Looking forward to online play with Overcooked 2, but will probably get that for PC.

Super stoked about Overcooked 2. This was one of those "revelatory" games for my group of friends and I. We usually just get together, drink, listen to music or what not whenever our busy lives allow... Loaded this up one night while having a pretty large get together and people just became wildly entertained by the game. Everyone reverted back to the old college days, and we all stayed up until like 4am playing this game. Even the old-Grandma accountants that go to sleep at 9pm were having a blast haha.

Really hoping for more solid couch-coop games. It's so much fucking fun just cracking up with a group of friends. I just recently went back and bought the first Fusion Frenzy for original Xbox so we could all play that.

Also, is TLoU II really looking like a potential PS5 holdout? Thought there was absolutely no question that was gonna be, at latest, 2019?!

PS. It's still "Fuck Ubisoft". Fuck them for not announcing Splinter Cell. What type of shit was that. We know you fuckers are probably making it, and if not? Fuck you even more. How can you be so out-of-touch you can't see it's an easy "home run" many people were anticipating. That leak came out, and the reception was, "Oh yeah, another Splinter Cell would be nice". It's the only thing those fuckers don't make every 6-months and is remotely fresh.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Stave

Potato del Grande
DfdivwCWsAIPJql.jpg

So they got the female lead. They got the lesbian main character with in your face advertising of it. They got the average looking woman who is fully clothed. They got diversity with an asian and jewish charater in their main scene. They even have her hacking up men 2x her size weilding sledge hammers. And they even got a large crowd of gamer men to think it's awesome and cheer it on. What more do these people want? Blue haired land whales throwing period blood at all male enemies?

• 2Worf

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
So they got the female lead. They got the lesbian main character with in your face advertising of it. They got the average looking woman who is fully clothed. They got diversity with an asian and jewish charater in their main scene. They even have her hacking up men 2x her size weilding sledge hammers. And they even got a large crowd of gamer men to think it's awesome and cheer it on. What more do these people want? Blue haired land whales throwing period blood at all male enemies?

The narrative has slowly been pushing against violence for a while now. They seem to think that every game should be a walking simulator with heavy trans lesbian overtones.

I actually like walking simulators when they're well done, but that isn't all gaming is.

TLoU did look pretty generic though.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I felt Nintendo won this year. Mario Party, Smash, Fortnite, etc. Will all be huge this year. PS4 probably second as Kingdom Hearts and Spiderman will probably sell great for their platform. XBONE seemed to have more games without dates than with dates. In the end.... the PC Master Race win but Nintendo is going to have one heck of a 10-12 months. If they could have landed Kingdom Hearts, it would have been game over.

• 3Seriously?
  • 1EyeRoll
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
too much emphasis on the conferences anyway.

The actual individual independent studio showings often have some really sweet games. and new announcements, trailers etc, dropping.

Any sweet trailers released?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I felt Nintendo won this year. Mario Party, Smash, Fortnite, etc. Will all be huge this year. PS4 probably second as Kingdom Hearts and Spiderman will probably sell great for their platform. XBONE seemed to have more games without dates than with dates. In the end.... the PC Master Race win but Nintendo is going to have one heck of a 10-12 months. If they could have landed Kingdom Hearts, it would have been game over.
I hope they have good drugs in your world. Sounds like you will need them.

• 1Worf

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I hope they have good drugs in your world. Sounds like you will need them.

Oh how I love how people give so much credit to the seriousness and overdone storyline console games that release. Here's the bottom line. There wasn't one game that PS4 / XBONE announced that will not be on the Pre-owned shelves within 30 days. The games Nintendo announced will hold the majority of their value for the next 5 years. Go look at any Smash game, pre-owned, and tell me how many you find in the $5 bin? Sorry to burst your grown-up bubble but the fact is, there will be a Mario Party and Smash Bros. in nearly every gamer's home and/or dorm room around the world while people purchase <dark and serious console title here> and complain about everything that is wrong with it upon release. There's more people talking about Waluigi than there are Norman Reedus right now lol.

On the other side of the coin, Nintendo is so stupid for not making some of these announcements part of their launch line up. Could you have imagined if Odyssey, Mega Man 11, Smash, Mario Party, etc. would have been at launch? How does Nintendo mess this stuff up!?

Also, i'm happy with the PS4 announcements for the most part. I sold my PS4 a while back but i'll be buying one again for Spider-man, Kingdom Hearts, and probably Ghost of Tsushima. I'm not too down on the new CoD but they've somewhat hurt my trust over the years. Wish we had a Halo release date but they're saying late-2018 in addition to promising a "new experience?" Not sure how many of those go well. Most established franchises are filled with nostalgic purists so I hope they get it right.

Anyway, to each their own. You, and others, may be right but what's the fun of E3 and all the speculation without a little differing of opinions. :)

• 2Picard
  • 2Cringe
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 4 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

Lol this is a good one :) Kudos :)

• 1Like

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Utnayan Utnayan quoted my post so I have accomplished my goals and won this thread.

Seriously, curious to what you think of the state of consoles and their E3 presence this year.

I kinda have a love/hate with all parties involved which really lead to my half serious half trolling post earlier. :)

• 1Like

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Spiderman is going to be incredible fun. Kinda like a brighter Arkham Asylum that take further advantage of an open world.

• 2Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Utnayan Utnayan quoted my post so I have accomplished my goals and won this thread.

Seriously, curious to what you think of the state of consoles and their E3 presence this year.

I kinda have a love/hate with all parties involved which really lead to my half serious half trolling post earlier. :)

I thought we saw virtually nothing worth a shit from Nintendo. Way too much time spent on over explaining Smash Brothers. People were more interested to see Metroid, and other IP's that coul dhave been announced or acknowledged. They should have been able to expand on virtual console services through their online subscription with a laundry list of NES, SNES, N64, and possibly Gamecube emulated titles to blow everyone away. Even had the ab ility to set two subscription tiers - but as usual, they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground so that isn't going to happen on the biggest stage of marketing for gaming. At least they finally started learning gaming as a service and their virtual console holds value - but they are doing way too little right now to capture the hype window of Switch.

Sony.... Last of us 2 turned into SJW time - I am still going to play it, and I am still sure it will be good, but I am tired of that message being pointed to in games. We get it. We don't care. Welcome to equality. No one cares :) The way the Sony show was done was painful, but I liked the content. As usual, some great games to look forward too. When they come out, and for which platform? (PS4, PS Pro, PS5) they didn't really say. I am sure the games will scale regardless. I am disappointed Sony doesn't have an answer to gamepass. Their Now service sucks. Streaming solutions are not the answer. Downloadable services are the answer, ala Gamepass. This should be a primary focus point before they fall further behind.

Microsoft threw up a lot of typical smoke and mirrors. Of the dev houses they bought, I couldn't care less about ANY of them. None of them have proven talent. But I suppose you have to start somewhere. Microsoft's game launches have been an absolute trainwreck. Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Gears of War 4, Halo 5, Recore; basically anything and everything aside from Ori and Forza Horizon 3 has been a complete shit show. Crackdown 3 won't be any different and if people are expecting otherwise they are kidding themselves. It's been stuck in development hell for ages, and they simply do not have the talent to make good games. On the flip side, gamepass can hold a lot of value. And for 9.99 a month (or some type of yearly deal) we aren't blowing 60 bucks a box anymore to try these games out or forced to rent them - but with that said, I am afraid all they did was supply a service that is holding a good value from a dollar perspective, but now we are seeing the same amount of effort 9.99 a month provides rather than what was provided in the past with good games. Overall, MS is screwed for the forseeable future and it is going to take a launch of a new console, and 4 years of solid development building to get themselves out of the hole they threw themselves into when some idiot decided the XBox should be in every living room controlling/reporting on TV viewing habits.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ninja Theory has proven itself to be a quality studio.. to me at least. ;)

• 1Like