E3 2018 Hype and Train-Wreck Thread (Place your bets!)

spronk

FPS noob
Microsoft buying Ninja Theory, Undead Labs, Compulsion Games, and Playground Games and forming one or two new studios is pretty big and means Microsoft is diving back hard into its first party lineup.

Just watching the Microsoft presser now and I'm happy, a nice lineup of games for the next year, Game Pass is giving me everything although I have to pay more for stuff like Forza DLC, and Crackdown 3 looked pretty cool. Sure, nowhere near the Sony first party lineup yet but they are at least making the smart moves. Too bad no official price drop on the X, I guess thats for holiday season.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
But how long is the question, while I won't deny that both versions of the XB1 are powerful they haven't had any studios doing the kind of work Sony has, Santa Monica, Guerilla and Naughty Dog studios have written engines that utilize Sony hardware to it's fullest(and continue to do so), the rate there dragging there ass with this, Sony is gonna be way ahead of the game when MS actually starts putting out Exclusive titles..

CoralGriffin

Trakanon Raider
All of these new studio additions aren't really for the current Xbox generation.

We saw pretty no software that the new studios are on, unless you count Forza Horizon 4, which Playground has been working on long before acquisition. This means that these acquisitions are really about Microsoft's next console, which given the mention in the conference, won't be later than 2020.

spronk

FPS noob
Yeah I think its more next gen at this point, but things are slowly coming together for that. They ditched all the dumb hardware decisions (ESRAM, slower CPU, Kinect required) with the X and made it better than the PS4 Pro, if they can carry that forward with X2 thats good. Game Pass is way better than anything Sony has, they just need to combine it with GWG.

100% BC is pretty damn good and I bet Microsoft always moves that forward, whereas you never know with Sony. Its 2 years out but I could see things tilt back towards Microsoft next gen, especially if Sony gets too arrogant and ditches backwards compatibility with PS5 while Microsoft keeps forward AND BC -- play new games on your X or X2 or PC all with cloud saves and cross compatibility, pay $120/yr and get GWG and Game Pass and don't have to pay for first party new games.

CoralGriffin

Trakanon Raider
Oh, dont get me wrong, I think it's a great thing in the long term.

Not a reason to rush out and get an Xbox One X, though.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
With using x86 arch for consoles now, backwards compatibility issues are a thing of the past(they can even switch Video Chip-sets, and write a simple translation wrapper for whatever next gen chip there using)

Of course unless Sony decides to go back too using "full custom" hardware, but I don't see that happening Sony spent a lot of time talking with developers, on the PS4. I'm pretty sure they will always push forward with x86 arch..

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
BTW GamePass is 50% off on amazon right now, $30 for 6 mos or $60 for a year, I added 3 years worth when it was $5/mo (this price) for me on xbox.com so I'm set for a while

smile.amazon.com/Xbox-Game-Pass-Membership-Digital/dp/B07BKXDW67
(auto amazon links break in the forum for some reason)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider
OH SHIT! They showed DMC5. It looks so pretty, I want more gameplay. Man, it likes sick so far

I don't know why Dante is looking like a cute twink but hype about Devil May Cry 5 anyways
That’s not Dante, that’s Nero l

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah MS killed it, they show, cyberpunk like pretty. I want to dive into that world it looks creepy to me

With Cyberpunk 2077 actually having "footage" there's nothing Sony that can announce that will match the hype unless it's a brand new Jet Set Radio.
Gameplay of cyberpunk

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Microsoft buying Ninja Theory, Undead Labs, Compulsion Games, and Playground Games and forming one or two new studios is pretty big and means Microsoft is diving back hard into its first party lineup.

Just watching the Microsoft presser now and I'm happy, a nice lineup of games for the next year, Game Pass is giving me everything although I have to pay more for stuff like Forza DLC, and Crackdown 3 looked pretty cool. Sure, nowhere near the Sony first party lineup yet but they are at least making the smart moves. Too bad no official price drop on the X, I guess thats for holiday season.

I don’t see how acquiring those dev houses does a thing. 1) Hellblade wasn’t that great of a game. 2) we happy few is garbage. 3) state of decay 2 is a mess. That takes out ninja theory, undead labs, and compulsion games. Forza was already a success. Bringing playground games under MS does nothing. If anything, now they will have to deal with MS’s convoluted process design methodology. One or two new studios, depends what the talent base is. Because 343 and coalition have done nothing but destroy two popular IP’s in the last two-three Years.

I just don’t see how these moves accomplish anything. Basically buying studios that haven’t done anything to prove they are worth a shit, buying studios who can’t release good games anyway (undead labs) and still throw shit to the wind hoping something sticks with halo and gears. After already having made a mistake with that talent pool last go around.

What are the benefits?

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Scalebound ....

actually amazed Sony hasn't picked it up from Platinum yet, and just rebranded it into something else...

CoralGriffin

Trakanon Raider
I sadly agree. These are studios that had not hit home runs, at least not recently - or in the case of the Initiative, not ever yet.

Then again, if MS didnt buy some of them opportunitistically, they probably wouldnt be around next year.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I can't say anything there would make me go Xbox over PS4, but a far stronger showing than they've had in recent memory.

Still not sure how Fallout 76 or Cyberpunk play, and does Cyberpunk even make Holiday 2019?

Eh, them buying studios is a PR win at least - "Tired of Halo/Gears? We've got stuff on the way..... in 2 to 3 years, for next gen."

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider
For some reason anytime i see someone playing it or watching videos it looks boring - i played it once but only lasted a couple hours
Your not wrong, it has its movement where you can just walk the distance with nothing happening

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Eh, them buying studios is a PR win at least - "Tired of Halo/Gears? We've got stuff on the way..... in 2 to 3 years, for next gen."

That’s about all I saw of it. A PR marketing stunt really. With obvious tempered expectations. Meanwhile, HZD, bloodborne, death stranding, last of us 2 all having possibilities of showing for Sony tomorrow and what it will result in will be 1) Hi. I’m Microsoft. Look what we are trying to do and we are talking to you about it. 2) Hi. I’m Sony. Look what we are doing and showing you and what you will actually play with proven success very soon.

I think tomorrow Sony takes first place, Tuesday Nintendo shows Metroid and smash brothers, drops a few unexpected bombs and places a strong second. With Microsoft’s show being long forgotten.

I still think fallout 76 is just a rebranded mostly already developed Battlecry. Developed mostly under Ex SOE and ex Bioware Austin talent. Which sorry, doesn’t bode well.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
All Sony has to do is show a new horizon zero dawn sequel trailer, last of us 2, bloodborne 2, and maybe even pop out an uncharted 5 and watch MS’s tears for what I thought was a pretty mediocre showing again this year. Also if Sony announces a gamepass subscription with access to all Sony games, I’m going to shit myself laughing.

Lol dude lay off the booze you Sony fanboy.

Hellblade wasn’t that great of a game? It’s narrative and story was fantastic.

Last edited: