Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

Karloff_sl

shitlord
I guess so, it didn't for one minute diminish my enjoyment just thought it was unecessary, but she did look good carrying it around.

Cruise seems to be one of the few actors who actually look for decent sci-fi action movies these days.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Watched it yesterday , enjoyed it and my only complaint was ever so small, why did Warrior angel need a cloud sword? The mech suit weapons seemed much more useful.
In the book it's because they run out of ammo because there are so many of the mimics and they are so good at killing them because they keep reliving the battles. The "battle axe" as it is supposed to be is further enhanced by the powered movements of the suit which is necessary to smash into a mimics carapace.

Think of a powered suit axe welding whirlwind sliding through combat like some kind of D3 barb.

Edit: Fixed It was a battle axe in the book

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I could totally see the military employing suits such as this in the near future. After all doesnt reality usually end up mimicking good sci-fi?

Karloff_sl

shitlord
In the book it's because they run out of ammo because there are so many of the mimics and they are so good at killing them because they keep reliving the battles. The "battle axe" as it is supposed to be is further enhanced by the powered movements of the suit which is necessary to smash into a mimics carapace.

Think of a powered suit axe welding whirlwind sliding through combat like some kind of D3 barb.

Edit: Fixed It was a battle axe in the book
Thanks that makes much more sense, I'll have to check the book out now.

Arakkis

N00b
I could totally see the military employing suits such as this in the near future. After all doesnt reality usually end up mimicking good sci-fi?
I just don't understand why the suits would be open. If they can devise a mobile power source small enough to make these suits practical, they need to slap some armor on them Starcraft style to protect the soldier.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
We don't even supply our troops with enough body armor now, forget armoring that whole thing. Realism at it's finest.

Oldbased

> Than U
I just don't understand why the suits would be open. If they can devise a mobile power source small enough to make these suits practical, they need to slap some armor on them Starcraft style to protect the soldier.
Part of the aspect is extra strength, endurance and mobility but the other aspect is ability to carry heavy weapons which combined with various types of rounds would make any armor negate the benefit of said suit. In other words, the armor would have to be so thick/capable due to the increased weapons the weight would makes the suit worthless to the point they might as well be in a tank.

For today's soldiers typical body armor still has the advantage of stopping or severely slowing down the projectiles hitting them from the people fighting, in the future or in the case of this movie of the aliens, the armor would have been worthless.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Armoring the suits would potentially negate any environmental concerns, as well. In a world where you're fighting aliens in giant powered armor, you wouldn't necessarily be fighting on Earth.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
The suits are fully armored closed environments in the book since the blood of the mimics was caustic.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
It was caustic in the Movie as well. You didn't notice that Tom Cruise started to melt the 2 times he came in contact with the blood?

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Saw this tonight and was pleasantly surprised (didn't read the thread once it was released). That aspy Column has terrible taste, may he live in the Shaw forever.

Caliane

Armor wouldn't do shit. A tank for example has 4 FEET of depleted uranium as armor. 1-3inchs of whatever, at best, wouldn't help at all. A 50 cal rifle would pierce it. Nevermind space age weaponry. Ventilation, and mobility would be more important honestly. Adding armor would add alot of weight. Suddenly the power armor goes from lets say 1000lbs, to 3000lbs. It can no longer enter buildings, etc.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I saw it last night and I liked it. Then i went and finished the manga, and i understand why they did it that way.

I explained my wife how Japanese story writes have more freedom of finishing the story however they see fit, while American writers are pigeon hole'd into "everyone must walk out of theater happy". Tom Cruise did a great job once again, he really puts his heart into anything he does. Hopefully he does Death Note!!!

iannis

Musty Nester
So how does it end in the manga? Noble Sacrifice of one or both of them? That seems like it would be the Japanese theme.

Edit: Just read the wiki on it. Yep, that's as Japanese as raw fish. I would have even been happy if they'd ended with an western version of the noble sacrifice but that version they list in the wiki is very dark indeed. If they'd cut the movie 1 scene shorter (almost literally 3 minutes shorter), they would have ended with a western version of that. So actually that seems like a remarkable degree of artistic integrity for a Tom Cruise movie. I mean honestly, it may not have had anything to do with him but someone walked that line about as well as you can walk it.