Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The general was at a very temporary disadvantage and knew it. He simply waited until that changed to get them. It worked, too. Until cruise relived the day enough to get out of the situation.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One thing I did not understand. They got the tool and then got into this huge car chase afterwards. During the car chase, tom Cruise with help stabs his own leg and finds the information they had been looking for the whole time. Why did she not just shoot Tom Cruise and reset the day right then? I assumed that was the idea behind having him stab himself while being chased by everyone. Instead they continue the chase. They could have started fresh with that new knowledge and gone from the very beginning knowing that the information would remain unchanged until the mission was accomplished.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
One thing I did not understand. They got the tool and then got into this huge car chase afterwards. During the car chase, tom Cruise with help stabs his own leg and finds the information they had been looking for the whole time. Why did she not just shoot Tom Cruise and reset the day right then? I assumed that was the idea behind having him stab himself while being chased by everyone. Instead they continue the chase. They could have started fresh with that new knowledge and gone from the very beginning knowing that the information would remain unchanged until the mission was accomplished.
I assume because it would know they knew its location and move itself.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Plot? Tom has to bleed out a bit after that so he loses the ability completely in order for the story to continue. Leadsalad's answer isn't a bad one, if you want to force some lore, but Rita walks into the emergency room ready to shoot him like 30 seconds later.

The whole Cruise/General thing got brought up because of me and I'm sorry for that. It's a nitpick moment for what was overall a really decent film. I just can't imagine an actual capable military leader wasting resources on someone like Cage at the start of that film. At the same time, the story has to kick off somehow...so whatever.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The one thing I am confused about is people seeming to think that just because they are called Mimics, they can actually look like human beings? There is zero indication of that, so I'm not sure where that is coming from.

Guardians of the Galaxy is still the best film of the year, but I absolutely love this movie. I've already convinced like 7 people to watch this movie since getting the bluray last week, and every single one of them has loved it.

• 1Like

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I literally thought exactly this, she should have shot him right after they knew where the mimic was

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I assume because he avoiding dying as much as possible. It's gotta be irritating to relive the same parts over and over. E.g., escaping the sarge, finding Rita, catching them up to speed... On top of the trauma of remembering getting killed again

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I was afraid that when he lost the power that they'd go through scenes of him reverting to a bitch (oh noes death is real!) but was quite happy that they went the total opposite way with the most suicidal plan imaginable. It took hundreds(?) of attempts to make it past the beach, but they pull that absurdity off in one shot.

"Fuck it all, just crash through the wall, I'll hold on to this flimsy thing here with one hand. And we really should have brought Neo."

My favorite bit was when he gets so sick of watching Rita die that he turns into a zombie killing machine and does it all by himself and stops wasting time saving everyone along the way only to fail at the end again and again. He didn't need her to be a badass for him any more and saving a few people was pointless. But I bet he died a shitton more before he made it. Kind of bummed they didn't do a complete version of him going solo.

PS: Kept me well entertained while "playing" wow in Ashran. The fuck didn't I watch this movie earlier, this shit was awesome...

Oldbased

> Than U
Great movie, positively surprised, I wish it had had more success...

I just checked and it made $369m worldwide !

Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - Box Office Mojo
Ya with marketing the box office scale( 80% to studio in first week then less each week after) and blu ray sales, which I think were around 700,000 it broke even. The budget was abnormally high.
That said Pacific Rim as much as I liked it had 1.7 million blu-ray/dvd sales wtf. It is ranked like 40 on the all time.
Edit sorry Pacific Rim #49 all time, 1.85 million units.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
The manga is more interesting, as someone mentioned. Rita still has the power (somewhat?) and at the end, she realizes that in order for time to continue, she has to kill the protagonist. She dies by him. :p

Siliconemelons

The manga is more interesting, as someone mentioned. Rita still has the power (somewhat?) and at the end, she realizes that in order for time to continue, she has to kill the protagonist. She dies by him. :p
She does not have the time reset power, or...more so the remembrance of the resets...she has the skills and knowledge she obtained through her time in the loop. IMO the Manga pulled a very typical manga / anime trope in "one of us has to die!" just as trope as the movie was Hollywood. And to end it she didn't have to kill him, just one of them had to kill the other- they explain the link and crap but its really just as far fetched and out of nowhere imo as the movies reasoning in the end.

To me both film and book blend together... sorry I meant the novelette as the manga was not loading right for me so I really didn't read it- so what I am mentioning is the novelette not technically the manga. Anywho they blend together in my mind and make one quite enjoyable story.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I'm sure it was already discussed to death about why the Omega was still dead/dies immediately after the time reset, but fuck it, it's new to me and the theories I read afterwards were basically "plot hole, movie sucks" and there's no fun in that.

My two theories:

Logical:

Since the Omega was the actual entity doing the time reset, it can only rewind time for everything other than itself. Time is always linear for the Omega. It's dying blood turns Cruise into an alpha again and he dies first, triggering the Omega to rewind time and then it finishes dying.

or the Matrix:

The Omega died and its power fully transferred to Cruise, who then dialed back time on his own as the new Omega. The mimic Omega is actually alive again on reset but gives the fuck up because Tom Fucking Cruise has copied (and/or fully taken control over) its power and the mimics have no chance now.

Either way, Tom Cruise makes Neo his bitch. Him AND his butch woman live at the end.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That seems kinda tropish by japanese standards. They seem to have a huge hardon for greek tragedies. And to be fair, the happy ending love story in EoT is definitely an American(Western?) trope. So, not sure if it is more interesting than just a different cultural standard grafted onto the base story.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Debbie downer endings seemed to be a huge fad for a while. Fucking everyone had to die a martyr.

I blame Braveheart for starting it and The Matrix for ending it, because audiences everywhere said "FUCK that was retarded"

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The book has a very Japanese anime type ending and that's fine. AND THEN THESE TWO AVATARS OF DEATH MUST FIGHT.

That's really the thing that I missed the most in the movie. I liked that the protagonist became death incarnate. Going that route it would make the movie very, very different and might not have entirely worked so I'm still fine with what we got.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Two skinny teenager avatars of death that couldn't break a pencil outside of their power armor, I'm sure.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
No one forgot tentacles. In fact, I think that's one thing the Americans one-upped them on.

• 1Like