Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

iannis

Musty Nester
I remember they set the stakes that way, that neither had the loop. they flat out told you that to build tension. But if you watch there are those little things that she did and just wasn't telling him. I think that's called unreliable narrator.

That was mirrored with the helicopter where she asks him how many times he's done this and he didn't want to tell her.

But what I remember you're both right. It's part of what makes the movie so good. It could just be a dumb action movie and still be perfectly fun, but the script went that extra step and allows you to go "hey, wait a minute" on reflection. It's a superb sort of effect that captures the spirit of the written story.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
No words could kill my anticipation of a movie more
Subvert expectations and new character that will be bigger than the two leads... tranbo with a golf club to cruises head incoming.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

got to watch it again to see if that theory is true... been too long since I watched it. or read the manga. The manga tainted my viewing anyway. Also, would not call the manga better. just differant.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Rita magically having her powers back makes no sense at all.

The reason they are such badasses is because the time they spent with the power allowed them to learn their absolute physical limits. Rita is already at this point at the beginning of the movie, Cage gets there after hundreds of repetitions of the day. He's effectively spent an entire year dedicated training.
But if you reset doesn't your muscles reset as well, not going to get any faster just the muscle memory.

Siliconemelons

Why is this the first time I've heard this suggested? It sure explains a lot of plot holes, like getting off a locked down base.

The manga has about 5% of "the same" things as EoT

It uses the time thing different, they get it different, the attacks are different scale...

The manga kind gives a different "hurm" thing paradox for the heroes to overcome. The two with powers fighting each other is cool- I thought the final fight was more of a decision to do X and "end it" rather than a big ol battlei because if I remember they basically break the cycle for the aliens and them so the war will then be fair.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The manga has about 5% of "the same" things as EoT

It uses the time thing different, they get it different, the attacks are different scale...

The manga kind gives a different "hurm" thing paradox for the heroes to overcome. The two with powers fighting each other is cool- I thought the final fight was more of a decision to do X and "end it" rather than a big ol battlei because if I remember they basically break the cycle for the aliens and them so the war will then be fair.
I was referring to Arbitrary's theory, not the manga discussion. I can't say I have much interest in the manga.

Siliconemelons

I was referring to Arbitrary's theory, not the manga discussion. I can't say I have much interest in the manga.

Ahh okay.

It's an okay theory... it's stated she lost it...mostly as a discussion of how/why... if she had her powers then why would they be "on the lookout" for someone with powers.

It's been awhile I need to re-watch.

Are we saying when he lost his, she regained hers?

Siliconemelons

She picks them up in an unseen loop during the final action sequence. You see the antenna monster that she got it back from towards the end when she 1v1s it.

I watched the movie in lots of chunks on my laptop... perhaps I should rewatch it on a real TV.

...honestly it's not a bad movie or reason to rewatch :) just gotta re-download it

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I want to watch A Quiet Place 2 but the studios refuse to dump it on to the internet.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I want to watch A Quiet Place 2
giphy.gif

• 1Like

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
But if you reset doesn't your muscles reset as well, not going to get any faster just the muscle memory.
All time loop movies where they remember what previously happened are bullshit. Why would an individual(s) brain be the only thing that changes from run to run?

And yes, the third act has always been preposterous, but its supposed to show just what elite killing machines the two of them are after looping so often, despite the script killing Blunt off so often in the second act.

In related matters, anyone watch Palm Springs on Hulu? I hear good things.

• 1Like