Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
I just watched this for the first time. They did the Ground Hog's day bit well! Solid Sci-Fi flick. Will watch sequel years later at home probably.

:smuggly:

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I re-watched this tonight. First time in a few years. God damn, what a great movie (yet again). Can't wait for them to EVENTUALLY make part 2. Pretty sure Cruise got the Omega's powers at the end, which is why it reset to the day before. Not 100% on that one, though, because they somehow died a day or two before he killed the Omega. Movies...

EDIT: I also just downloaded the English translated Light Novel of "All I Need is Kill" (that's the Japanese story that became Edge of Tomorrow). I'll add that to my list of shit that I still need to read.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Emily blunt yoga edge of tomorrow GIF on GIFER - by Mutius

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 9 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I was so excited to see this thread bumped :( Now I'm just sad.

I’ve considered bumping the Dredd thread the past few days. Saw some news about a live Dredd themed interactive something. Just didn’t have the heart to do it though.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The book is really good and just different enough to be also be worth your time if you've seen the movie.

Reminder that in the last act of the film the Full Metal Bitch has her powers back and has been looping for a while trying to get Cage through the last action sequence without him turning to paste.

• 1Blown
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
No she didn't. She was in her 'without powers' state for the entirety of the film. She only had them when becoming "The Angel of" wherever via the powers she received that day, which was also her 'first day' of the war. She went on to tell the General about her powers and ended up in a psych ward, where she received a blood IV which is how she lost the powers in the first place.

That same General is the one who forced Tom Cruise into France to be on the front lines. He's a real dick head, and clearly doesn't realize when he fucks up by doing the SAME THING a second time, but with Tom after he & Full Metal Bitch are attacked to be arrested.

Last edited:

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
No she didn't. She didn't have her powers at all for any part of the film. She only had them when she became "The Angel of" wherever via the powers she received on her 'first day'. She told the General about the powers and ended up in a psych ward and received a blood IV which is how she lost the powers again.

This same General is the one that forced Tom Cruise into France to be on the front lines. He's a real dick head.

When she taunts Cage about how long it took him to get out of the stretcher (that she was already out of lightning quick due to several repetitions of practice) she has her full powers. We see the antenna monster that powered her back up a little later on. The entire final action sequence where Cage survives several impossible one in a million death-defying events is in actuality a tool-assisted speedrun that The Bitch has been working on getting him through. You think he just miracled himself through all that impossibleness on his first time through with no help?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The book is really good and just different enough to be also be worth your time if you've seen the movie.

Reminder that in the last act of the film the Full Metal Bitch has her powers back and has been looping for a while trying to get Cage through the last action sequence without him turning to paste.
Why is this the first time I've heard this suggested? It sure explains a lot of plot holes, like getting off a locked down base.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
To be honest, I never once considered that she might have received her powers back. It wasn't even IMPLIED in the movie. So I can only assume people guessed that this is why they were successful at taking out the Omega. Hell, there was no talk at all about being able to receive powers a second time, except when the Omega died and Tom was melted by its blood again to wake up at the start of the movie.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Why is this the first time I've heard this suggested? It sure explains a lot of plot holes, like getting off a locked down base.

If you scroll through the thread waaaaay back you'll see a post by me of the same thing. One of the dudes I see movies with came up with that explanation walking out of the theater (the ass) and it basically fixes the entire last act. I'm not saying it's intended or anything but it fits so well that even if wasn't on purpose I'd make it so for the sequel.

Really, anyone that doesn't see it watch it again and skip to Cage walking up in restraints. You tell me that Rita isn't acting like she's been guiding Cage through this a bazillion times before face tanking the exact kind of an antenna monster that they both got their powers from before. She's out of her restraints instantly somehow and then starts taunting Cage about his time. Why the fuck is she even keeping time?

BECAUSE SHE'S GOT POOOOOOWERS.

In the book neither of them lose their powers. It's kind of a shame that the movie didn't ever feature an insane action sequence where they basically "beat" the impossible battle because it's sweet as all hell.

It wasn't even IMPLIED in the movie.

Throw it in, fast forward up to Cage in restraints and Rita razzing him and tell me you don't see it.

• 1Mother of God

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Gonna have to watch it again, but one hole I can poke in your theory is that she should have known he was powerless.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Gonna have to watch it again, but one hole I can like in your theory is that she should have known he was powerless.

Cage performed better in attempts where he didn't know what was going on. The dude can really fucking move when he thinks it's all or nothing.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Rita magically having her powers back makes no sense at all.

The reason they are such badasses is because the time they spent with the power allowed them to learn their absolute physical limits. Rita is already at this point at the beginning of the movie, Cage gets there after hundreds of repetitions of the day. He's effectively spent an entire year dedicated training.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Final script rewrite was done Oct 2019, right before corona hit.

Later that month, Blunt stated that she, Cruise and Liman were all enthusiastic about the project, but also noted that "It's a lot for all the stars to align for everyone to be free at the same time and available to do it at the same time."

They all have an intense interest in seeing it through-- but Blunt previously cancelled because of Mary Poppins.

1594890053634.png

Cruise was good to go and just needed Blunt to commit. It seems to be more about Blunt's projects than anything else.

Fuck Mary Poppins.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
January 2020 post by director/writer Liman showing the war room for the sequel and that it's not vaporware.

1594890493873.png

The 2018 script is an entirely different premise than the 2019/2020 script.

He said he wanted to subvert expectations

"If I'm going to do a sequel for the first time in my life I want to make it the opposite of what you'd expect from a sequel and we found a story that does that," he explained.

1594890758412.png

A reminder of the Bill Paxton loss. Director claims he's got a 3rd character though that will make up for it. I'm definitely intrigued.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users