Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

khorum

Murder Apologist
Far and Away was great; it's actually hard to say if he acted really well or they just wrote the character around Tom Cruise's dopey intensity. Although it should've been more realistic and had Tom pimping Nicole Kidman's protestant irish ass on the streets.

Caliane

Cant stand Cruise. he actively damages every movie he's in since The firm/Days of thunder.

ps. This movie sounds cool as hell. but pretty sure Cruise being in it, will make me skip it.

Szlia

Movie was pretty good. My only two complains is that it several times hints at narrative elements that would be very interesting and bring the film into 'great' territory, but does not go there, and the film making of the action scenes is a bit underwhelming: it works well when the hero is hapless in the middle of chaos, but not when he is in control of the situations (it remains chaotic for the viewer).

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Cant stand Cruise. he actively damages every movie he's in since The firm/Days of thunder.

ps. This movie sounds cool as hell. but pretty sure Cruise being in it, will make me skip it.
i'm with you
i suffer "tom jumping on a couch" syndrome :/

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Don't get the hate on his movies, he's a crazy fuck, but the movies he puts out consistently are more hits than misses. Everyone has a dog or two, but it's hard to hate on his catalog as a whole to be honest. Even stuff like Mission Impossible which had gone a little stale got better again with #4. He still doesn't get enough credit for his performance in Collateral.

Caliane

Don't get the hate on his movies, he's a crazy fuck, but the movies he puts out consistently are more hits than misses. Everyone has a dog or two, but it's hard to hate on his catalog as a whole to be honest. Even stuff like Mission Impossible which had gone a little stale got better again with #4. He still doesn't get enough credit for his performance in Collateral.
Really? First, no one is doubting his box office draw. But that is part of the problem. He is a piece of shit, with a famous name, and gets AMAZING parts. which he then just shits all over. But hes still a big enough draw, no one cares.

Since Days of Thunder. in order.
Far and Away. A few good men, The firm, Interview with the Vampire, Mission: Impossible, Jerry Maguire, eyes wide shut, Magnolia.
Ok. Fairly good here. M:I, Eyes wide shut, and Interview with the Vampire are his biggest weaknesses. (not in terms of financial success, but his acting.)

Mission Impossible 2, Vanilla Sky, Minority Report, The last Samurai, Collateral, War of the worlds, Lions for Lambs. Tropic thunder. Valkyrie, Knight and day, MI:Ghost, Rock of ages, Jack reacher. Oblivion.
That is his last 14 movies. A dog or two? basically 13 movies in a row, is not a dog or two, or consistently good.
Half of those is directly HIS fault for being bad. Tropic thunder is the only one, which stands as a joke part/cameo.

here, let me rain on your parade even more.
Harrison Ford can't act anymore either. He also hasn't given a good performance in 20 years.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Mission Impossible 2, Vanilla Sky, Minority Report, The last Samurai, Collateral, War of the worlds, Lions for Lambs. Tropic thunder. Valkyrie, Knight and day, MI:Ghost, Rock of ages, Jack reacher. Oblivion.
That is his last 14 movies. A dog or two? basically 13 movies in a row, is not a dog or two, or consistently good.
Half of those is directly HIS fault for being bad. Tropic thunder is the only one, which stands as a joke part/cameo.
I'm going to disagree with your list a lot.

*Mission Impossible 2 - It wasn't great.
*Vanilla Sky - I really enjoyed this one. The movie was incredibly fucked up, but his acting in it was on par with what I would expect anyone to do. It was pure psychosis.
*Minority Report - I wasn't terribly in to this movie. Not so much because of Tom, but the overall subject matter. I'll have to give it another try.
*The last Samurai - I loved this one. Then again, I enjoy Japanese culture as a whole. This movie did a really good job of showing the mentality off. Also, I enjoy his "trying to be a samurai" stage.
*Collateral - He's a cold hitman. He's doing a job. The acting is exactly what it should have been. He's intense when he needs to be, but very charismatic the rest of the time.
*War of the worlds - This movie was complete horse shit. I'd say that everyone involved is to blame, not just him.
*Lions for Lambs - Never saw it, so I can't comment one way or another.
*Tropic thunder - His scenes were great. This is one of those movies that you didn't realize Cruise could do really funny shit, but he played it off great.
*Valkyrie - It's a movie about Nazi's. I definitely liked this more than Inglorious Bastards, but what do you want?
*Knight and day - I hate hate HATE Diaz, yet I still enjoyed this. It's silly. Not believable at all. But it's still a cute 'no brainer' type of film. Worth watching if you're bored.
*MI:Ghost - Ghost was fucking awesome. Tom amazes me with the stunts that he actually wants to do, as opposed to making other people do for him. I really liked this one.
*Rock of ages - Never saw it.
*Jack reacher - I liked this movie as well. In fact, I rewatched it again a week or two ago. It was done quite well. I know a little of the subject matter of Jack Reacher supposedly being this giant guy (maybe even a black dude), but it didn't matter. Tom kicked ass in this role.
*Oblivion - Eh... The concept was entertaining, as was Tom's acting. But the movie itself got boring after a while.
You missed:
*Mission Impossible 3 with Philip Seymour Hoffman. This was definitely the 2nd best MI film, following #4. My order is MI 4, 3, 1 then 2 in terms of good to bad. His acting was great. Especially when he's trying to get his wife. You can see the anguish in his moves. It's a good movie.

So, there's my list and why I like it. I think you're overly critical.

Caliane

I'm going to disagree with your list a lot.

*The last Samurai - I loved this one. Then again, I enjoy Japanese culture as a whole. This movie did a really good job of showing the mentality off. Also, I enjoy his "trying to be a samurai" stage.
ROFL. you like "Japanese culture as a whole" (whatever the fuck that even means. you like imperialism, and bigotry?)... So you enjoy watching a movie that is one of the most hilariously racist since Caine from Kungfu. Instead of say, actual Japanese films.
Its like saying, I like France, so I visited and really enjoyed the Epcot center pavilion, or Beauty and the Beast.

velk

Trakanon Raider
This movie was great fun. I wasn't expecting Cruise's character to be such a worthless piece of shit, but it made for great entertainment. The master sergeant's speech walking to the barracks is a nice wink at the situation.

I laughed at the literal handwaving they did about how ridiculous the alien's weakness was.

I felt it would have between better with a darker ending, but eh.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Dude, I've been to Japan quite a few times. I'm married to a Japanese woman. We're going back this September to visit her family and show our daughter off. When I say I like Japan as a whole, I mean the way people act, the buildings, the general attitude. Sure, Imperialism comes into play, but the people are by and large very peaceful and respectful. They're everything we aren't in America, and they're a better place for it.

Remember Fukushima? They didn't have crazy rioting. People stood in line for food and water, where as over here, people tried to steal everything. We have no honor.

Even driving over there is peaceful and relaxing. It's really a beautiful country (not just visibly). I plan on moving there with my wife when we retire.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wouldn't have guessed. I sort of agree with Xar's list but the ones he went "eh" on are really just bad movies. I even kind of want to re-watch War of the Worlds over for the visuals and the setting/genre but it's just a bad film, for sure. Collateral was fantastic and one of the underrated films in my mind. I enjoyed the hell out of Last Samurai, too. It's not historically accurate but if you combine like 3 separate stories/events it almost is :p The racist comment is kind of dumb and totally unrelated to anything. Movies involving any country besides America are pretty racist too. It's Americans making movies for often the lowest common denominator of other Americans about somewhere that isn't America. It's never going to behonest.

spronk

FPS noob
if you wanna see a dude who has totally stopped trying check out bruce willis. literally sleepwalking through every movie now

tom at least puts some massive effort into his parts, even if by massive i just mean emotes hard and has faces that actually convey emotion

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I re-watched War of the Worlds a few months back. Oh god was it aweful. I figured that when I saw it in theaters, I gave it unfair criticism. It was just a shitty movie in almost every aspect. Even the special effects were mostly "so so". Oh, lightning... and explosions. Look, a robot! ok, that was dumb.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Yeah dudes, it was a fun movie. Cruise was pretty good, i'd let blunt sit on my face. Lots of action, can't go wrong.