Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I haven't played the last few Souls games, but did they final put "normal coop" in it? Like you can just join your friends?

Asking because Remnant From the Ashes wasn't even on my radar but then it was GOTY material due to how good the coop is ...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I haven't played the last few Souls games, but did they final put "normal coop" in it? Like you can just join your friends?

Asking because Remnant From the Ashes wasn't even on my radar but then it was GOTY material due to how good the coop is ...

Not sure what you mean by "last few" of the souls games, but coop with friends as of DS3 is still a pain in the dick

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've always avoided "coop" and "pvp" in souls. It's annoying and its always gimmicky (requires dumbass items to use in convoluted ways). I interpreted this as this is designed just to be a kind of whatever distraction. I remember the like 3 times I used the help coop bell in Bloodborne the guys all almost immediately died to whatever I was fighting. One was the Martyr before I git got gud and could wreck his ass blindfolded. After that I just abandoned it lol.

I'll do the same in this game unless it is somehow more inspired and different.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Coop in DS games adds flavor, but players who just pull in another player everytime they fight a boss they have trouble beating are robbing themselves of the robust Dark Souls experience. Sure, sometimes you bring in some scrub who just feeds the boss leaving you to your demise, but frequently you bring in a dude who rolls the boss, winks and leaves like Morgan Freeman. This is fun and interesting and different, but you can get that kind of emergent gameplay from snapchat, while overcoming a boss only after many failures, a respec and gearing up by exploring other parts of the world is something rare outside of Dark Souls type games.

Dark Souls PvP is a joke, I can't believe people get into it seriously.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I thought the pvp was for when you got bored and you wanted to go bank people in the middle of serious fights, not a serious thing.

I turn that shit off.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I've always avoided "coop" and "pvp" in souls. It's annoying and its always gimmicky (requires dumbass items to use in convoluted ways). I interpreted this as this is designed just to be a kind of whatever distraction. I remember the like 3 times I used the help coop bell in Bloodborne the guys all almost immediately died to whatever I was fighting. One was the Martyr before I git got gud and could wreck his ass blindfolded. After that I just abandoned it lol.

I'll do the same in this game unless it is somehow more inspired and different.

What's wrong with using herbs and bombs? Zelda was like this and I think consumables have a place in pvp. The duping of them id say is a problem for sure. Dark Souls 2 prior to Scholar (still cheating in all of them too, sadly) had craaaaazy sploits, duping those magic potions being one. A shame really to see people stoop so low rather than just chill out and take a break.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I don’t remember which DS it was but I was spec’d for magic bolts and all invaders could do was run or get mowed down. I got a lot of hate PM’s for being skill-less lol. /good, let the hate flow through you

• 1Like

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Came across the actual interview from the link I posted on the last page. Only 3mins. Not much more to divine, but figured I'd link just in case anybody cares

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Came across the actual interview from the link I posted on the last page. Only 3mins. Not much more to divine, but figured I'd link just in case anybody cares

GO WRITE BOOKS, FAT MAN.

• 3Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Not sure what you mean by "last few" of the souls games, but coop with friends as of DS3 is still a pain in the dick

You just put a summon sign down with a password you both set and the host is embered. Was never a pain for me.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
You just put a summon sign down with a password you both set and the host is embered. Was never a pain for me.

Both players have to be in the exact same spot, have to use a consumable that can run out, have to clear everything twice, a few "dead spots" where you can't coop at all, and a few other things make it convulated for trying to do a play through with a buddy and downright confusing for people new to Souls games

• 3Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Same spot you can warp to with a bonfire

Consumable I've always had too many of

The dead spots are areas they intentionally don't want to allow co-op

You can Google a how to on it

All of this is a quick lookup and learning the game to me

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Goddamn, fighting the Pontiff for the first time in 5 years and I forgot how much I fucking loathe the action queueing system in DS3 (and the series in general) for a handful of the battles. Nothing more infuriating than missing a dodge roll only for the system to queue it up and roll right into the next attack over and over and over.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Amod Amod Can we change the tittle of this thread to remove George “do nothing” Martin.

it’s a constant reminder of his unfinished work and the hatchet job the show runners did on GoT.

let this game stand on the amazing reputation of From Software.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Amod Amod Can we change the tittle of this thread to remove George “do nothing” Martin.

it’s a constant reminder of his unfinished work and the hatchet job the show runners did on GoT.

let this game stand on the amazing reputation of From Software.

"Elden Ring: Written by award winning author George R.R. Martin" sounds about right.

• 1Solidarity

Nester

Vyemm Raider
"Elden Ring: Written by award winning author George R.R. Martin" sounds about right.

George did not write it so it’s not terribly accurate. Hidetaka Miyazaki wrote it and GRRM was involved in the world building and mythology, to what extent we do not know.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
George did not write it so it’s not terribly accurate. Hidetaka Miyazaki wrote it and GRRM was involved in the world building and mythology, to what extent we do not know.

Over My Head Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
HBO and it's actors got super asshurt that the show didn't end the way a certain narrative would have liked it to. They were open about it. They forced in what they could and cringed up a rush job. Their fault, not his.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
HBO and it's actors got super asshurt that the show didn't end the way a certain narrative would have liked it to. They were open about it. They forced in what they could and cringed up a rush job. Their fault, not his.

Good point. If they'd just let George R&R Martin have his way we wouldn't have gotten a rushed, shitty ending. The ending can't be bad if we never get the ending!

Clever GIF by memecandy

• 1Worf

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Ya I'll throw some shade on him that it's his fault for not finishing it. It would have avoided the garbo the HBO corpos made up. That's entirely fair.

• 1Like