Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I feel like some enemies (namely bosses) are hitting through my shield. Is it due to a special non-blockable attack or are they hitting OVER or UNDER my shield? Just wondering if switching to a big ass tower shield would make a difference there.
You using 100% physical damage reduction shield? If you have stamina left the physical attacks shouldn’t hurt you.
What shield exactly are you using?

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
You using 100% physical damage reduction shield? If you have stamina left the physical attacks shouldn’t hurt you.
What shield exactly are you using?
Those fucking Cockroach things that shoot missles always seem to spear straight through my shield (Yes it's 100).

Goonsquad Officer
I feel like some enemies (namely bosses) are hitting through my shield. Is it due to a special non-blockable attack or are they hitting OVER or UNDER my shield? Just wondering if switching to a big ass tower shield would make a difference there.
tower shields mainly give a bonus block to your poise while blocking. i presume you're already using a 100 physical resist shield. the towers will grant more resistance to non-physical hits and improved poise.

a lot of you 'always taking damage' is because some attacks aren't purely physical, and the non physical damage is never fully mitigated. you could also be getting poise broken for a moment.

Super chonky armor for high poise, bonus block chance from a tower and being mindful of element are basically the name of the game. I just accept that when the boss pulls up a great big dark energy blast and throw it at me, i'm going to loose a little HP. but if i got hit by it it may kill me otherwise.

Goonsquad Officer
Those fucking Cockroach things that shoot missles always seem to spear straight through my shield (Yes it's 100).
are you running out of stamina during that block sequence? like does each spine hit your shield. your stamina runs out and your dude wheels his arms and staggers back?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

Many tall bosses can and will hit over your shield. I do think this game's hitboxes are so detailed that yes, a tower shield should help you with this. But depending on the physical trajectory of the hit, they still might hit over it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well I found the way up to Altus without using the special elevator.

That was pretty cool.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
are you running out of stamina during that block sequence? like does each spine hit your shield. your stamina runs out and your dude wheels his arms and staggers back?
No. Definitely not. I think their moveset is just wonk

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
See the problem there is you fighting those absolute bullshit of a mob, you just sneak and run past those fuckers.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What did you do?
The cave at the end of the river in Liurnia that is an Upgrades Mine goes up instead of down. Last boss is at the top then there's another elevator right to the pleateau.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
The cave at the end of the river in Liurnia that is an Upgrades Mine goes up instead of down. Last boss is at the top then there's another elevator right to the pleateau.
Yeah one of the NPCs tells you about it, I forget who some lady near a grace point.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ironically I think it's easier to get the damn Medallions than to climb up that harpy infested shitwall. I did enjoy the climb after activating the grand lift though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Singing harpies you just gotta be super aggressive on them. I only died to them once when I realize that if I let them do shit they spray poison, cast stupid fucking spells and otherwise kill you. But if you rush up and smack them you can usually break their poise quickly.

Their singing is cool though you were right.

The magma wyrm boss up there... something is fucked up with it. You legitimately cannot hit the thing when its in certain animations. I died to it because of that then tried again just running around like a bitch hiding behind pillars.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Many tall bosses can and will hit over your shield. I do think this game's hitboxes are so detailed that yes, a tower shield should help you with this. But depending on the physical trajectory of the hit, they still might hit over it.
Yeah, this. I've played all the Souls games so I'm very familiar with poise and stamina. I'll have full stamina, yet a boss's physical attack will sometimes land hard. It feels like they are hitting around or over/under the shield. Things happen so quickly it's hard to exactly see.

Also this is fairly early on in the game so I don't think I'm running into any fancy attacks yet. I'm using the stock Confessor shield which is 100% physical reduction but not anything huge in size.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Thanks yeah... the medallions is way easier and doesn't require combat lol... sounds like a fun place though.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Coward's path? lolwut.
she talks mad shit about how much of a bitch you'd have to be to sneak through the "easy" way. I didn't pack a lunch to slaughter all those harpies and a magma wyrm for the "easy" way and ended the journey starving. Meanwhile literally every speedrunner will be blitzing through the two forts to snag the medallion for the "hard" way.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users