Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
So since I missed the one missable weapon (bolt of gransax) in leyndell to complete my platinum trophy, I thought it would be fun to try my own speed run on a new character to see how fast I could get to it. My plan was to grab it, trade it to my son, have him trade it to my main character. Here is my story...

Started samurai
Got horse, spirit summons, and ash of war unlocked

Run all the way to rose church because i thought that is where hoarfrost was, be confused for 10 minutes. I was thinking of the darth maul twinblade blood enchant

Run to SE of Caria manor to actually get hoarfrost, apply to my uchigakatana

Go teleport to Caelid near beast guy and run to the fort for a dectis medallion piece. Kill white dragon for levels.

Go to other fort in limgrave for other medallion piece

Run to entrance to leyndell and check out the draconic tree sentinel. This was roadblock number one. Die in one hit a few times.

-- 1 hour 30 min. --

Go clear a mine for stones to level sword to +4

--patch to nerf hoarfrost disconnects me from server--

level up a few times, still get pounded. Jellyfish isn't poisoning him.

Go get doggy ash that can apply scarlet rid from Sellia.

Keeping the dog alive at level 1 long enough to apply rot (about 10 hits) was a feat. It felt like trying to tank a boss with wizards blowing their mana bars in the first 10 seconds. The first time it happened he hit me with a lightning bolt from 100 yards away. 2nd time I managed to survive and rot killed him.

So then I attempt to enter the door to Leyndell and what do i see?

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 6 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is there a speedrun way to get bird farm early? I keep making new toons to try things abd the two balls at dragonburrow is getting old.
Yeah, you should be able to get to it fairly quickly, only need to get torrent. You can bypass stormveil through a secret route to get to the rose church.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So since I missed the one missable weapon (bolt of gransax) in leyndell to complete my platinum trophy, I thought it would be fun to try my own speed run on a new character to see how fast I could get to it. My plan was to grab it, trade it to my son, have him trade it to my main character. Here is my story...

Started samurai

Run all the way to rose church because i thought that is where hoarfrost was, be confused for 10 minutes. I was thinking of the darth maul twinblade blood enchant

Go teleport to Caelid near beast guy and run to the fort for a dectis medallion piece. Kill white dragon for levels.

Run to entrance to leyndell and check out the draconic tree sentinel. This was roadblock number one. Die in one hit a few times.

-- 1 hour 30 min. --

Keeping the dog alive at level 1 long enough to apply rot (about 10 hits) was a feat. It felt like trying to tank a boss with wizards blowing their mana bars in the first 10 seconds. The first time it happened he hit me with a lightning bolt from 100 yards away. 2nd time I managed to survive and rot killed him.

You need at least 2 great runes to unlock Leyndell

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Love FromSoft analyzing players and making things harder to keep that challenge present

of83qpbgvin81.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Looks like moonveil stagger was nerfed pretty hard.

Mimic damage was nice but it was never really what made him great. It’s that he can apply weaponeffects and is super tanky, none of which was changed.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

Started samurai

-- 1 hour 30 min. --

This was known, Gideon (and others maybe?) tell you you need two great runes to reach Leyndell.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Looks like moonveil stagger was nerfed pretty hard.

Mimic damage was nice but it was never really what made him great. It’s that he can apply weaponeffects and is super tanky, none of which was changed.

Yeah, this mimic nerf is actually ideal for someone like me. I often just want to be able to share focus with someone/thing, I'd still rather be the one doing most of the damage to the boss.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Really having a hard time finding a weapon setup I like as STR/FAI. Seems like all the cool shit scales with DEX for whatever reason?

Black knights halberd has pretty good STR scaling as heavy, but it's still the goofy halberd moveset that I'm not a huge fan of, and it's sloooooow.

Slow is really the problem in general though. None of the colossal weapons seem worth it at all - they just don't do enough damage to justify how awkward they are. The only viable way to play them is spamming jump R2 attacks, but even that is too slow against a lot of bosses and you end up taking hits during the recovery. A single R1 from a colossal takes longer than 2-3 hits from any straight sword and will end up doing less than half the damage while locking you in to the huge animation.

They don't even seem to have the poise damage to be worth it either? Like yea they have good stagger, but it's not like THAT much better than heavy attacks from smaller weapons, especially warhammers or greatswords. Maybe once you're level 120 or whatever and you can powerstance colossal weapons that feels better?

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
So upgrading shield is actually useful now(sorta) and they nerfed mimic tear before I even got to really abuse it, so at least it's not something I'll miss. I wonder if they nerfed that rune farm where the big chicken commits suicide after you hit it with an arrow.
They did not.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Really having a hard time finding a weapon setup I like as STR/FAI. Seems like all the cool shit scales with DEX for whatever reason?

Black knights halberd has pretty good STR scaling as heavy, but it's still the goofy halberd moveset that I'm not a huge fan of, and it's sloooooow.

Slow is really the problem in general though. None of the colossal weapons seem worth it at all - they just don't do enough damage to justify how awkward they are. The only viable way to play them is spamming jump R2 attacks, but even that is too slow against a lot of bosses and you end up taking hits during the recovery. A single R1 from a colossal takes longer than 2-3 hits from any straight sword and will end up doing less than half the damage while locking you in to the huge animation.

They don't even seem to have the poise damage to be worth it either? Like yea they have good stagger, but it's not like THAT much better than heavy attacks from smaller weapons, especially warhammers or greatswords. Maybe once you're level 120 or whatever and you can powerstance colossal weapons that feels better?

I've had the opposite experience going from straight sword to colossal great sword. I'm getting way more reliable stagger and stance breaks with even the basic attack.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Yep. Even powerstancing two colossals doesn't give you the huge stagger power it probably should.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

I had been rocking the Gold Halberd continuously from the moment I got it, but have since moved on to the Tree Spear. Does not hit as hard, but better defensively, faster, and much better reach. Its also better in tight quarters since it mostly imitates the pike move set. Alternatively, if you get one of the Holy scaling ashes, applying it to a Pike or Partisan (and keeping a holy greatsword of some kind around for when you want horizontal sweeps) might be a better way to go. I have been mostly rocking the spear (I am just wrapping up the entire adademy lake area) and busting out the Dark and Flame sword for special cases.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I really like the Bloody Helice. The ashes on it is better to me than Bloodhound Step.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah, this mimic nerf is actually ideal for someone like me. I often just want to be able to share focus with someone/thing, I'd still rather be the one doing most of the damage to the boss.
Someone also said that mimic won’t use potions anymore, haven’t tried it yet though

Goonsquad Officer
i don't have a lot of context from other weapons, but i use giant hammer and it staggers most foes pretty reliably. hilariously when i have t he mimic out with the same hammer and the fingerprint shield we stagger most things and just pound them into the dirt.

i think the str scaling nerf is pretty agregious for weapons that dindu nuffin wrong!

though the giant hammer can't use 'wild swings' which smaller greathammers and maces can. the stagger doing THAT is comical. i defeated 2 of the 3 big jar red-man fights by just using wild swings and pushing them into rocks (using the stars mace).

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user