Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Really having a hard time finding a weapon setup I like as STR/FAI. Seems like all the cool shit scales with DEX for whatever reason?

Black knights halberd has pretty good STR scaling as heavy, but it's still the goofy halberd moveset that I'm not a huge fan of, and it's sloooooow.

Slow is really the problem in general though. None of the colossal weapons seem worth it at all - they just don't do enough damage to justify how awkward they are. The only viable way to play them is spamming jump R2 attacks, but even that is too slow against a lot of bosses and you end up taking hits during the recovery. A single R1 from a colossal takes longer than 2-3 hits from any straight sword and will end up doing less than half the damage while locking you in to the huge animation.

They don't even seem to have the poise damage to be worth it either? Like yea they have good stagger, but it's not like THAT much better than heavy attacks from smaller weapons, especially warhammers or greatswords. Maybe once you're level 120 or whatever and you can powerstance colossal weapons that feels better?
I am a litle bitch who likes spear poking, so I am using Siluria's Tree atm, after using a Sacred Infused Cross-Naginata for most of the game with my STR/FAI build.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Well, bros..I finally "beat" this last night. I think I might've been wrong in my initial claims of "Game of the Decade" before launch, however.

I think it might actually be "Game of the Century", so far. It's neck and neck with BG2 for me. I'm going to take a couple months off, then come back for another run as dex/int to confirm if that's the case.

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh and for stone imps in catacombs. The little Darts are kryptonite to them if you chuck enough down range. (Thankfully they are cheap.) Great for interrupting their little backsteps and charges.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I had been rocking the Gold Halberd continuously from the moment I got it, but have since moved on to the Tree Spear. Does not hit as hard, but better defensively, faster, and much better reach. Its also better in tight quarters since it mostly imitates the pike move set. Alternatively, if you get one of the Holy scaling ashes, applying it to a Pike or Partisan (and keeping a holy greatsword of some kind around for when you want horizontal sweeps) might be a better way to go. I have been mostly rocking the spear (I am just wrapping up the entire adademy lake area) and busting out the Dark and Flame sword for special cases.
I upgraded the Gargoyle Halbred to +25 and I think it's better than the Golden Halbred. The weapon art fires a powerful glintstone pebbles that staggers most humanoids and then you can immediately do an R2 stab that has amazing range and does very high damage. Can pretty much trivialize any humanoid enemy. I imbued it with magic, damage is 750+ with 74 INT.

I was struggling to kill that evergaol boss for the Black Knife Tiche boss and when I swapped in the Gargoyle Halbred it absolutely trivialized it. The stab also does a crazy amount of poise damage.

Chris

Potato del Grande
So not sure why I'm posting this as I don't want to be spoiled, vague replies only please if this is actually a plot point.

I'm up to the capital city and haven't done any of the story bosses there yet.

But... every minor Erdtree has broken pots around it and catacombs underneath them.

The pot people explode in gore when they die, the friendly pot guy Alexander gets cracked against Radahn and tells me that he needs to fill himself back up with corpses from the battlefield to get strong again.

The catacombs end bosses are in rooms with a bunch of corpses tangled up in the tree roots.

So erm... these trees feed off corpses and the pot people fertilised them to accelerate their growth? What the fuck is going on lol.

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20220317_133626.jpg

Found the image I planted in the first room that has gotten me numerous heals. I expected it to have a lot more than 176 likes given how many heals I seemed to get (one boss fight had 3 appraisals in it IIRC). And 19 dislikes, in a game brimming with troll messages? Hell I've seen fake "hidden wall" troll messages with more likes and fewer dislikes than this. The ER community is balls

• 1Cringe

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Well, bros..I finally "beat" this last night. I think I might've been wrong in my initial claims of "Game of the Decade" before launch, however.

I think it might actually be "Game of the Century", so far. It's neck and neck with BG2 for me. I'm going to take a couple months off, then come back for another run as dex/int to confirm if that's the case.
Easy to argue that it's a GOAT. Any arguments of how it doesn't have the modability of Skyrim or the diversity of MMOs are matched by how clean and pure of an experience the game offers. It's just a fantastic experience all the way through and isn't clouded by the typical bullshit we endure to extract fun.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So not sure why I'm posting this as I don't want to be spoiled, vague replies only please if this is actually a plot point.

I'm up to the capital city and haven't done any of the story bosses there yet.

But... every minor Erdtree has broken pots around it and catacombs underneath them.

The pot people explode in gore when they die, the friendly pot guy Alexander gets cracked against Radahn and tells me that he needs to fill himself back up with corpses from the battlefield to get strong again.

The catacombs end bosses are in rooms with a bunch of corpses tangled up in the tree roots.

So erm... these trees feed off corpses and the pot people fertilised them to accelerate their growth? What the fuck is going on lol.
I don't know.

There are a lot of visual queues I noticed (like the white flowers in the craters leading to Lyndel) that I didn't understand but kinda believe they tie into the lore in some meaningful way.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Easy to argue that it's a GOAT. Any arguments of how it doesn't have the modability of Skyrim or the diversity of MMOs are matched by how clean and pure of an experience the game offers. It's just a fantastic experience all the way through and isn't clouded by the typical bullshit we endure to extract fun.
Yup. ALL Souls games, prior to this one, I eventually hit "burnout" in. Obviously they are all amazing. However, after 30 boss attempts, or toward the end of those titles, I was kind of ready for them to end, in a way.

Not once did I ever hope that I was close to "ending" Elden Ring. Well over 100 hours and I just wanted to keep finding bosses, loot, caves, etc. to explore. Hell, I didn't even suffer the typical "frustration" periods I often did during other Souls titles where certain bosses just seemed annoying as fuck, rather than difficult. 90% of the time I was just laughing at myself saying, "God you fucking suck, boomer! Git gud!".

It really is insane how From can just keep delivering like this.

EDIT: I will add that I think keeping things as "blind" as possible helped a TON in Elden Ring. If I had looked at any of those, "CLICK HERE FOR THE MOST OP BUILD EVER!!!", "WATCH NOW TO EARN 5 BILLION RUNES A MINUTE!", or "SEND THIS TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS TO FIND THE HIDDEN MOONVEIL!!" videos, I'd have cheapened the experience by a ton. It's also why I turned off online play ASAP. I don't need messages telling me what I missed, what hole I should jump in, etc.

I really tried to limit my exposure to this thread during my playthrough for those exact reasons and I'd highly recommend anybody do the same. I really think a LOT of gaming nowadays gets ruined by just how fucking easily/quickly it is to access information/"spoil" yourself now.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
View attachment 403745

Found the image I planted in the first room that has gotten me numerous heals. I expected it to have a lot more than 176 likes given how many heals I seemed to get (one boss fight had 3 appraisals in it IIRC). And 19 dislikes, in a game brimming with troll messages? Hell I've seen fake "hidden wall" troll messages with more likes and fewer dislikes than this. The ER community is balls
You can view your messages under the message sub menu and it will show your Good/Poor on each. You can also lock ones that you want to stay in game(I'm guessing they fade after time, regardless of votes, if you don't lock them on that menu).

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
i also just keep wanting to play. exploring and trying my build out on various situations is a lot of fun. tons to explore. and i want to fish out the lore. I have to do a fresh play through with other builds, but i may do a NG++++ sequence to get cheevo completion on my brick main.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Any way to save scum all the endings on PS5 using the cloud save backups? I’ll probably do another run through but want to at least get 2 so that I can get the achievement on the second run

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You can view your messages under the message sub menu and it will show your Good/Poor on each. You can also lock ones that you want to stay in game(I'm guessing they fade after time, regardless of votes, if you don't lock them on that menu).
I believe you are limited to 10 messages in the world at a time. If you do not lock them, they will overwrite.

So just go lock your messages that have the most upvotes.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Any way to save scum all the endings on PS5 using the cloud save backups? I’ll probably do another run through but want to at least get 2 so that I can get the achievement on the second run
yeah just turn off auto sync, upload cloud save before each end and redownload and do another. ps4/ps5 either one.

also if you are on PC you should probably only play offline, I guess hackers have a way around anti cheat to do RCE - theoretically possible to take over your PC

• 1WTF
  • 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Since we are now a couple weeks after release, I will just spoil the new questlines for those who want to know. Kenneth Haight, Nepehli Loux and Gatekeeper Gostoc's quests all converge together. Go back to Kenneth Haight (all NPC's are now marked on your map, YAY), in East Limgrave. Talk to him, he will teleport back to his fort in the south. There will be some Demihumans of low level there. Just clear them and ascend to the ramparts, and you will find him again there. He tells you he is not worth of ascending you to knighthood (whatever that may mean) and he needs to find a new ruler for Limgrave who is not Godrick. After killing Godrick, Gatekeeper Gostoc will move to the room where you fight him, and stamp on his remains. Go to Roundtable after doing all of Nepheli's questline (Godrick + Village of the Albinaurics), and don't give her Seluvis's potion. Instead give her the Stormhawk Ashes you get from the tutorial area that you can go back to using the Four Belfries. Exhaust dialogue, teleport back to Godrick room. Rest at the Grace there to reset the area. All three NPC's will now move into Godrick's throne room. Exhaust Nepehli's dialogue and she will give you an Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone. Kenneth Haight doesn't seem to do anything else. He says he will go back to his fort, but he just sticks around. Gostoc is now in the back of the room as a merchant again. He will have another Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone for sale for 20k.

Diallos's questline picks up in Jarburg, working on that one now.

I can't get them to show up in Godrick's room. Nephili has the ashes, Gostoc is smashing, and Kenneth is on top his castle. But Godrick's area doesn't reset. Always just Gostoc. Did you do anything else I might be missing?

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I didn’t see anything in the patch notes but I think they nerfed the Falingstar beast boss in the mine in Caelid. He seemed super easy today, only used one flask charge, and he was a huge brick wall for be before. Gonna try the open world version next to see if that’s any easier

Edit: Full grown fallingstar beast still a Chad. I got him down to half on my horse, tons of charges left and then ran off the fucking cliff by mistake lol what a game

Last edited:

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Two days ago I used Hoarfrost Stomp on mines Fallingstar Beast. That was the only fight so far that felt unfair to me. It definitely needed a nerf.

• 1Like

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
When I play this game a little stoned I have the patience of Job and I’m better at waiting out some of the delayed boss attacks

• 2Worf

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
yeah just turn off auto sync, upload cloud save before each end and redownload and do another. ps4/ps5 either one.

also if you are on PC you should probably only play offline, I guess hackers have a way around anti cheat to do RCE - theoretically possible to take over your PC

Well that's pretty disappointing if true. Looks like the tweet got nuked, though.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I can't get them to show up in Godrick's room. Nephili has the ashes, Gostoc is smashing, and Kenneth is on top his castle. But Godrick's area doesn't reset. Always just Gostoc. Did you do anything else I might be missing?
Outside of exhausting dialogue and sitting at the grace in Godrick's arena (not just teleporting to it), no, not really.