Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I think that’s longer than any other SoulsBorne main quest right?

The estimate for Dark Souls 3 was a little over 30 hours. These games have a huge variance in completion time, but 30 for what's supposed to be the next evolution seems really short

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'll get my 3080 ti just in time!

Funny I got a 3080 ti before a god damn PS5 lol.
Yeah, I haven't really been trying to upgrade my 2080ti, but it doesn't support HDMI 2.1, so I can't get 120hz 4k, variable refresh rate, etc on my 75" LG OLEG. PS5 it is...for now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The estimate for Dark Souls 3 was a little over 30 hours. These games have a huge variance in completion time, but 30 for what's supposed to be the next evolution seems really short
30hours for rushing through the main objectives in an open world game sounds perfectly fine, not sure how it's "really short".

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yup - besides, I spent more time than I care to admit in just the first area during the technical test. I'm a whore for wasting time in these games - and that's before they went open world/open dungeon/optional areas. I'd be shocked if I don't log close to or over 100 hours in this before completing it the first time (something I'm ashamed to admit I've done in past From titles - though not sekiro strangely as I was just trying to be done with that game by the end).

Hype is off the rails at this point
They fucked up an didn't put fishing in open world souls.

Fucking shame.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
They fucked up an didn't put fishing in open world souls.

Fucking shame.
Wait...no fishing?

Throw Away Trash GIF - Throw Away Trash Nah - Discover & Share GIFs

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
30hours for rushing through the main objectives in an open world game sounds perfectly fine, not sure how it's "really short".

Because that's how long the other games took? Except for 2 which was actually a lot longer

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The game was supposed to consume the rest of my life reeeee

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
30 hours main quest is fine for me. Honestly I'd be ok with 20 main quest and 20 more for all the extra shit.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Damn, Im gonna be on vacation the weekend this gets released. But hey, at least my PS5 will finally get turned on that following week.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
So what is the lowest price for this?
Even at $60, that's a fucking steal for what will likely be the game of the decade.

EDIT: Also, what's the best controller out there for PC these days? I have an old 360 controller that I used for DS1-3, but one of the thumb sticks isn't in the greatest shape after rage sessions in those games. Are those still fine? I'm a controller Andy when it comes to Souls games, because mouse/KB blows dick in these games.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Because that's how long the other games took? Except for 2 which was actually a lot longer

Yeah, they all took me 20+ and Souls 2 took like 48. I'm expecting Elden Ring to be similar length to that and think they downplayed the hours (probably doesn't count all the death).

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Souls games aren't that long if you one-shot all the bosses and know all the paths. 30 hours on a first playthrough...

Liam Neeson Good Luck GIF

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Not sure how that's relevant though? Like what do games have to get longer later in the series or something? Should FF16 be 350hours?

Games can be all the same length it really doesn't matter, and other souls probably didn't have nearly as much side/optional content as this will have. Granted I don't think it'll have crazy amounts either, but I expect ~60hours first playthrough, maybe longer depending on how populated the world is after the starting area they used in the demo. I mean at some point the games have to end and that's fine. If you count NG+ runs and different weapon runs(I usually do at least 2 runs, dagger and ultra greatsword, and often a couple more things like casters/pyro) it's still gonna last a lot of time.

I just don't get the expectation that it should be longer, 30hours is plenty for a good quality game and that's even not counting the additional hours I'll likely spend on it.

joz123

Potato del Grande
I don't get this hate for the game length. The Uncharted games were around 15 hours long but I never saw anyone bitch about that. If games are good and short then who cares?

• 4Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Pretty much ALL the best entertainment (movie, TV, games, etc.) is the best PRICISELY because they don't overstay their welcome.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, 50-60 hours in a FROM game is a helluva lot more compelling to anybody than a 200 hour romp through Assassins Creed Part 15. 30 hours to mainline (meaning NO other content, dungeons, etc) is a perfectly fine length, perhaps even a shade too long given my current schedule with the kids, etc. I still would bet serious money it will take most people closer to 50+ to beat it and feel like they'd explored the map reasonably well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't get this hate for the game length. The Uncharted games were around 15 hours long but I never saw anyone bitch about that. If games are good and short then who cares?
I think because if the game is as good as everyone is hoping, they want it to last forever.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
What’s weird to me is I can play an ARPG or a rogue like over and over for hundreds of hours. But if a game story is like 50+ hours I’m like omfg end! Like Witcher 3 is one of my top games ever but it was soooo long I was ready for it to end like halfway through. But like I said I can put hundreds of hours into some repetitive game that only takes 15 hours to beat as long as I can change classes, builds, etc. I guess different classes and styles is what appeals to me and I get burnt out if I don’t change much during a 50 hour story.

I like the 30 hour length. Should be short enough I’m not dying for it to end, and plenty of side content I can play around in the world for a long time, try different classes, etc.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
What’s weird to me is I can play an ARPG or a rogue like over and over for hundreds of hours. But if a game story is like 50+ hours I’m like omfg end! Like Witcher 3 is one of my top games ever but it was soooo long I was ready for it to end like halfway through. But like I said I can put hundreds of hours into some repetitive game that only takes 15 hours to beat as long as I can change classes, builds, etc. I guess different classes and styles is what appeals to me and I get burnt out if I don’t change much during a 50 hour story.

I like the 30 hour length. Should be short enough I’m not dying for it to end, and plenty of side content I can play around in the world for a long time, try different classes, etc.
Can't solidarity this hard enough. I LOVE the Pathfinder games, but around the 30-40 hour mark I'm ready for it to be over. It really shouldn't take 80 hours to tell a good story, especially in the age of voice acting and cinematics.

• 3Like
  • 1Dislike