Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah this is definitely going to be the advantage if you've been wanting to enjoy From games but disliked getting your ass pounded by one of the bosses. While at the same time being trapped in the more linear nature of the game. Finding shortcuts to unlock and stuff is not always super clear and I totally get that fighting back to the boss after losing a bunch of times completely sucks.

Given there were ways around that in all of the games (grind up levels and stats before trying to advance or finding out the weaknesses of bosses) but they are not super obvious sometimes.

If you can just get on your horse and run off in some other random direction to do something else that will make the game way tolerable. Seriously this game has all the indicators of being more like Breath of the Wild if it was made by From Soft in the fashion of Dark Souls III rather than any of their other games. Sekiro would be the closest in terms of openness and it was also the most different of all the From games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Man, I keep telling myself I'm gonna get this, and I probably still will, but I just got my ass handed to me for over an hour to some fucking monster dude in Jedi Fallen Order, and all I could think about was if this was a Dark Souls boss or Elden Ring, I'd be here for a week!!

Ogbog Dogbog or whatever monster thing right at the beginning of the game. Then when I finally beat him and figured out that I gotta up my parry game I didn't feel a huge sense of joy like you guys get, but simply relief that I don't have to do that bull shit anymore.
Is that the frog thing or whatever? Pretty sure you’re supposed to come back later. Normal progression monsters aren’t that hard. The rest of the game is pretty easy if you go in order.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is that the frog thing or whatever? Pretty sure you’re supposed to come back later. Normal progression monsters aren’t that hard. The rest of the game is pretty easy if you go in order.
Yep, frog dude with the tongue attack. I ended up beating him and that brings up a point that I think makes Dark Souls games difficult for me. I'm stubborn as fuck, and even dropping difficulty down in a game is something I hate doing. So in this case, the wife kept yelling at me that I can just move on and come back later and it will make literally zero difference, but I couldn't let it go. I had to beat it or quit. Those were my options. Lol

And the game being pretty easy was my point. Granted, maybe I fought the frog dude a little early but if an easy game like JFO is kicking my ass I can't imagine what a game like Elden Ring is going to do. However, I've decided that I'm going to get it, and then maybe I'll stream or take clips so you guys can laugh at my old man skills. Utnayan Utnayan We gonna have an old man gaming night when this comes out and try and beat shit?

Last edited:
  • 1Truth!

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Yep, frog dude with the tongue attack. I ended up beating him and that brings up a point that I think makes Dark Souls games difficult for me. I'm stubborn as fuck, and even dropping difficulty down in a game is something I hate doing. So in this case, the wife kept yelling at me that I can just move on and come back later and it will make literally zero difference, but I couldn't let it go. I had to beat it or quit. Those were my options. Lol

And the game being pretty easy was my point. Granted, maybe I fought the frog dude a little early but if an easy game like JFO is kicking my ass I can't imagine what a game like Elden Ring is going to do. However, I've decided that I'm going to get it, and then maybe I'll stream or take clips so you guys can laugh at my old man skills. Utnayan Utnayan We gonna have an old man gaming night when this comes out and try and beat shit?

Don't worry, Dark Souls 3 isn't like that at all. It's pretty simple progression in bosses where you start with gundyr, then the dancer, then vordt etc.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

We will die together in glory. I have 3 controllers in the box on standby waiting to charge.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

Lots of good information translated - story sounds much more involved and stoked to explore all the nooks and crannies of what looks to be a massive world

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Supposedly the RCE exploit would potentially affect Elden Ring as well. Hopefully they get it patched before launch.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
They took down all the online servers so I assume it will be

• 3Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I am going to be doing a play through of this with a bunch of pals over discord. We will all get in a chat and simultaneously share screen while we play; feels a lot like an old school LAN party or childhood sleepover.

• 3Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

Lots of good information translated - story sounds much more involved and stoked to explore all the nooks and crannies of what looks to be a massive world

Takeaways from it
- Confirmed character customization unlike the network test which just started you as a Type A and Type B

- Main story is around 30 hours if you only follow that path. Exploring and doing side content will add several dozen hours.

- Dev said he doesn't know the size of the world in square KMs or anything like that, but stated as they have before that it is the largest game they've ever made.

- More items in the game than in any Dark Souls game

- Story is more accessible in terms of exposition by NPCs. Still lore tied to items, but will focus more on telling a story compared to the other Dark Souls games. George RR Martin created the lore for the mythos, Miyazaki created the lore for the game.

- It is possible to do "most" of the game in one run except close to the end where you will be locked into paths based on choices.

- NG+ and more difficult enemies in those runs.

- Most areas are not locked behind boss doors so to speak. For instance, you can skip the entire first main boss and castle shown in the network test and go past it. You can travel to much harder areas right from the start.

- There is open world, minor dungeons and "legacy dungeons". Legacy dungeons are the major dungeons like the castle in the network demo.

- Game is more "accessible" with difficulty due to being able to skip past zones and go "level up" before trying them again. The many summons in the game will help too, but described them as to be "not too powerful", just something that will be a welcome help at times. Also the addition of resurrection shrines which are populated in areas the devs deemed "difficult" so the runs to get to bosses or your souls/runes back won't be such a hassle.

- Enemy placements will not differ much based on day / night / weather, but there are enemies which only appear at certain times.

- It is possible to sneak past some content/enemies in the world/dungeons.

- PS5 will feature haptic feedback for the controllers, but there is no 3d audio.

- Game has the master produced. No more delays. World wide release feb 25. Now working on day one patch.

• 12Like
Reactions: 11 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So what is the lowest price for this? I'm looking at you, guys who bought it in Russia.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Can't wait! Never thought I would go with the console version over the PC version, but at this point, my console setup is visually better. Gonna' grab the PS5 version.

• 5Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Will they count how many times you die? So make that about 150 hours immediately.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'll get my 3080 ti just in time!

Funny I got a 3080 ti before a god damn PS5 lol.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I think that’s longer than any other SoulsBorne main quest right?
Yup - besides, I spent more time than I care to admit in just the first area during the technical test. I'm a whore for wasting time in these games - and that's before they went open world/open dungeon/optional areas. I'd be shocked if I don't log close to or over 100 hours in this before completing it the first time (something I'm ashamed to admit I've done in past From titles - though not sekiro strangely as I was just trying to be done with that game by the end).

Hype is off the rails at this point